Emirates Team New Zealand.

Boink

Super Anarchist
I just spent over 2 hours trying to find our discussion on foils where NZ was the outlier and all the other teams went with the bulb.  It must have been in the "old NZ" thread that was deleted.  I said that I thought NZ would eventually change over to the bulb foils.  The idea was that all of the other teams had already tested the bulb-less foils on their test boats and all of them decided independently to change to the bulb foils.  And all of the bulbs had the anhedral foils where as NZ started with one T-foils just like AM did on the Mule.   Most of the NZ posters said that I was missing the brilliant design of the NZ foils, I said that NZ was playing catch-up because they didn't have the "on the water" test boat experience of the other teams.
I do recall something of the such. I had proposed that Bulbless is more optimal for low wind sailing and that Bulbed was potentially more optimal for the windy stuff. This was around the time that LR did their windy video (just pre-xmas?????) and people were screaming at how fast and controlled they looked, but I suggested that each team was testing a certain mode - LR chasing an oracle like top end mode, AM a stable (but ultimately slower) mode and ETNZ an early take off mode - but trying to take it uprange by trimming out and sailing nose down with minimal immersion - and when you consider that the Cup races are scheduled for end of summer when likelihood suggests lower and more moderate breeze strength you would still want a foot in both camps. (NZ does not exactly have long periods of stable weather patterns)

Two sets of foil arms - one set for B1 and one set for B2 allows development of both styles and interchangability (they are a supplied and OD element) - Bulbless on one set and Bulbed on the other. You would not want to give up early takeoff for the sake of higher top end in light air sailing. Remember that vMax is typically 3.0 x take off, and is still limited to around 47 knots before cavitation enforces the "glass ceiling".

Besides look at what happened in Bermuda........ and where each team positioned themselves. 

Whichever comes to be the case, you can be certain that the other teams are very closely following anything that ETNZ does. They remain the standard by which others aspire to.

barfy

Super Anarchist
Remember that vMax is typically 3.0 x take off
I wouldn't be surprised if that assumption is challenged with the amount of $$$$$$ being thrown at the problem, and a relatively open design box around the wing and flap.

Boink

Super Anarchist
I wouldn't be surprised if that assumption is challenged with the amount of $$$$$$ being thrown at the problem, and a relatively open design box around the wing and flap.
I hope it is done away with. But this is where foil shapes need to morph from take off shape - where there is a well understood relationship between Lift and drag to become a shape where lift is proportionally reduced whilst drag is slashed. Not an easy problem to solve, and certainly one that is made more problematic by the constraints of the rule.

The current ratios are not hard and fast but are a very good guidance - remeber the glass ceiling of cavitation is always there lurking to limit progress.

Solutions are in existence  but not applicable because of rule constraints - be they dimensions, size, symmetry, materials or even wind limits. 

barfy

Super Anarchist
I hope it is done away with. But this is where foil shapes need to morph from take off shape - where there is a well understood relationship between Lift and drag to become a shape where lift is proportionally reduced whilst drag is slashed. Not an easy problem to solve, and certainly one that is made more problematic by the constraints of the rule.

The current ratios are not hard and fast but are a very good guidance - remeber the glass ceiling of cavitation is always there lurking to limit progress.

Solutions are in existence  but not applicable because of rule constraints - be they dimensions, size, symmetry, materials or even wind limits. 
The ceiling will probably be there; although quite a few applications have pushed through , the current wind limits for the match limit the speeds to below that I would think, and because the Goal is upwind downwind, not the magic 50kt.

As for morphing shapes, this is where a bunch of buck is flowing. And I don't see many constraints..., buckets of flaps, heaps of wing shapes if you have a lead bulb, or a boat 1.5. 

I reckon gains for early take off, and lift to increase vmg will be the big show. And power from the wing of course.

Last edited by a moderator:

mikenz2

Auckland
The team have just headed out for some light wind training. @weta27 they're in your domain - headed straight out and around north head under tow.

Interestingly they towed out with sails up today, instead of the normal sails down and then put them up once out of the inner harbour.

mikenz2

Auckland
The team have just headed out for some light wind training. @weta27 they're in your domain - headed straight out and around north head under tow.

Interestingly they towed out with sails up today, instead of the normal sails down and then put them up once out of the inner harbour.
And just returned with sails down under tow back to base.

weta27

Super Anarchist
Missed them, sorry, went round to try and spot them at Narrow Neck around 12.30, thought I saw them way, way out and spent a very pleasant afternoon around NN, Fort Takapuna, Cheltenham and North Head waiting for them to come back in, which of course they didn't, having docked at 12.30!

Beautiful day, flat water, not much breeze.

From the 25th anniversary get together at Headquarters last night...

All the 81 guests were temperature tested by staff before they were allowed inside.

Unfortunately, some revellers had to be turned away, including some members of the Emirates Team NZ crew celebrating 25 years since Black Magic's America's Cup win. 

"It was a shame because I know a few of them, but we couldn't jeopardise the safety of our guests," he said. 

Priscilla

Super Anarchist
From the 25th anniversary get together at Headquarters last night...

All the 81 guests were temperature tested by staff before they were allowed inside.

Unfortunately, some revellers had to be turned away, including some members of the Emirates Team NZ crew celebrating 25 years since Black Magic's America's Cup win. 

"It was a shame because I know a few of them, but we couldn't jeopardise the safety of our guests," he said. 
May well be Leo’s other guest the self anointed Bishop Brian Tamiki objected to Black Magic’s success being celebrated.

Shock over Destiny leader Brian Tamaki's homophobic comments 
https://nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=11749423

84971531-6692-4624-8E60-1EA47CC448D6.jpeg

Priscilla

Super Anarchist
This scary looking shrinking Tory attended as well and wouldn’t know her stem from her stern.

Between the Bishop and Paula Benefit the crew of Black Magic dodged a bullet by not attending Leo’s attention grabbing soirée.

9CB6896A-5D66-42E5-BC11-EFEF3D41D96E.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

mad

Super Anarchist
May well be Leo’s other guest the self anointed Bishop Brian Tamiki objected to Black Magic’s success being celebrated.

Shock over Destiny leader Brian Tamaki's homophobic comments 
https://nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=11749423

View attachment 364213

Quoting the Old Testament in a Destiny Church sermon on Sunday, before Monday morning's 7.8 magnitude quake struck, killing two and leaving thousands stranded, Tamaki said "sexual perversion" and "homosexuality" was to blame for natural disasters.
Strange that every religion has been and still is guilty of this and yet they still use it as a reason to blame others.