Emirates Team New Zealand.

Lickindip

Anarchist
Auckland
Did you guys miss the point I was making?  The NZ test boats looks to have bulbed foils on both sides (unless the photo is flipped).  That would be an indication that it gave good enough performance for them to want to use it on both foils.  That is a major change.
yea we heard ya, would be interesting to see if they had bulbs on both foils that 2nd day ... also assume that port and stb are interchangeable?

On the cats the foil was more or less in line with each rudder. With the foils out to each side I wonder if it could be some form of rudder to provide more maneuverability than the offset single rudder can provide. 
only the 'flap' that is allowed to be controlled so it would have to be fixed if it is ... also would still need to be inside the foil box rule

image.png

uflux

Super Anarchist
Bigger version here, it is NOT a camera IMO. But it make so much nonsense that it could be a deception trick.
I would strongly suggest it is a camera rig. Given that they have grid lines printed on the foil. There is not much point having grid lines if you are not looking at them...

The shape kind of looks similar to the form factor of a GoPro fusion. Maybe pulled apart and rehoused in a waterproof housing 

IMO  :rolleyes:

barfy

Super Anarchist
I would strongly suggest it is a camera rig. Given that they have grid lines printed on the foil. There is not much point having grid lines if you are not looking at them...

The shape kind of looks similar to the form factor of a GoPro fusion. Maybe pulled apart and rehoused in a waterproof housing 

IMO  :rolleyes:
Many cams have been spotted on the hull looking down at the foils as well that could use those registration lines as well. 

Not saying the tip thing isn't a cam, but it's presence would surely disrupt the normal operation of the foil to a point that the data would be inconclusive?

uflux

Super Anarchist
Yes, I agree that is could affect the flow at the tip. But I guess it depends on what they are measuring.

It is certainly a bonus if it does contribute useful information. As they are currently the only team (that we know of). That has potentially circumvented the no test tank rule, by taking the test tank to the Auckland harbour. That is potentially a lot of gold mining right there...

The_Alchemist

Super Anarchist
USA
The Cup Experience photos only show a bulbed foil on the port side so no proof of both sides yet

This.
Come on weta27.  you posted pictures earlier with the bulb on the starboard side (I inserted it into my post!), the pictures you post on this page with the registration lines is on the starboard side...

Last edited by a moderator:

Stingray~

Super Anarchist
PNW
You do realize there is a class rule that controls that kind of stuff, don't you?
Can you quote it please?

We’ve seen ‘bulblets’ along other test foil-wings, and there’s been guesses that they house controls for the trailing flaps aligned with them. Might not these be controllable surfaces too, if that wing-tip part is ‘trailing’ as the other flaperons are?

Sailbydate

Super Anarchist
Kohimarama
Weta is a patriot and would not consider doing such a thing as compromising the team
 Quite right, MM. I recall Weta's moral dilemma when discovering new stuff on Aotearoa, before Bermuda. No amount of cajoling by us, would induce him to spill the beans. He's a treasure. ;-)

weta27

Super Anarchist
That's a bit OTT SBD!

No, just saying we've got photos of a stbd bulbed foil taken one day, and a port bulbed foil another day.

No evidence yet of bulbs on both sides at the same time.

Sailbydate

Super Anarchist
Kohimarama
That's a bit OTT SBD!

No, just saying we've got photos of a stbd bulbed foil taken one day, and a port bulbed foil another day.

No evidence yet of bulbs on both sides at the same time.
Mate, You're a legend. You just keep polishing that rock with your bum and pointing your camera seaward at that rocket ship. ;-)

mikenz2

Auckland
They're under tow on the way back in now - someone run down to the viaduct and get the hi res photos :)

I only caught the last 15mins of their session today, wasn't paying attention out the window.

Closest approach to me at about 10 mins in

Latest posts