Emirates Team New Zealand.

barfy

Super Anarchist
Yet when you look at the IMOCA boats they have more than just the tip out of the water constantly.  That not just one boat, that's all of the new boats with the Dali foils. Go figure

Ya,I think that's the point ..with no active lift control they are depending on the surface piercing to back off lift ala early AC 34. I'm not sure that lee coupling would work with the keel??

RobG

Super Anarchist
It is an issue. The drag goes up quite quickly as the foil approaches the surface. The advantage of very good control is large.
But the higher it flies the less arm is in the water, reducing its drag so it's not a simple equation. Also, the outer wing isn't parallel to the surface, the tip is turned up so likely not as much drag as if it was shallow and parallel to the surface.

Rennmaus

Super Anarchist

mikenz2

Auckland
They're taking Te Kāhu out in the rain, off North Head somewhere. I can't see them, from the city, through the rain at the moment.
After a couple of short runs in the harbour, while waiting for a third chase boat to join, they've headed out the Rangitoto Channel.

barfy

Super Anarchist
But the higher it flies the less arm is in the water, reducing its drag so it's not a simple equation. Also, the outer wing isn't parallel to the surface, the tip is turned up so likely not as much drag as if it was shallow and parallel to the surface.
And it's showing that they are using a mode that maximizes upwind lift. I've heard their angles have greatly improved recently from kite board scuttle butt..those guys are lining up on occasion.

Last edited by a moderator:

Priscilla

Super Anarchist
Can someone move those f***ing cranes!  :unsure:
Yeah Winston issued a cast iron guarantee that your wish would come true before 2027 and the cars would be gone by 2019.

Unfortunately Ports of Auckland in the interim built a carpark and installed 3 new cranes.

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=11914175

KDBXRXLQFNC3TLBFJNRYI6EXC4.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

weta27

Super Anarchist
No, an old shot to remind me how good she looks in full flight.

Will we see her back out on the Gulf in the next week or two?

barfy

Super Anarchist
No, an old shot to remind me how good she looks in full flight.

Will we see her back out on the Gulf in the next week or two?
She's getting quite a birthday. Now she'll be b1.75.

Or she's being gutted for b2.

Latest posts