Emirates Team New Zealand.

Hawke said:
The scammed funds simply needed to be replaced by other revenue at ACE.
Officially now sick of Grant Dalton. The funds "simply" need replacing with another million bucks or however much it was. Fuck off, seriously.

There's something that smells like bullshit coming off this whole thing. For one, doesn't their bank need more than one person to sign off on a transfer? Secondly, if someone screws up - even really really badly - you basically can't fire them under New Zealand law. Last but not least, "financial mismanagement" is exactly what this is.

It's in March. There's a very real danger we won't even be letting people in by then. This is going to be a fucking disaster. Shiiiiiit.

Tornado-Cat

Super Anarchist
We don't know much about this story but it smells like a star designer or sailor asked to be paid in a fiscal paradise through Hungrary.

GD had to accept, probably a small amount of a few hundred thousands, which is nothing in any private organization but is more problematic with public money and a public thinking they are the virgin Mary. Jim Ratcliffe must be laughing his ass off.

Anyway, whatever it is, it's not the best ingredient for team spirit, mainly when we get to know the beneficiary.

Last edited by a moderator:

Priscilla

Super Anarchist
Grants a bean counter and looking at the exchange rate our missing $3million Kiwi roubles are now worth $611 million Forint so all good. :p

Priscilla

Super Anarchist
All a bit sloppy Minister not able to explain how much has been spent to date on AC36.

At least his incompetence is consistent as Minister of Housing he was incapable of delivering any of the 100,000 homes he promised and was charged to deliver.

No freeze on public money to Team NZ or America's Cup despite claims of improper spending 
https://nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=12344701

fish7yu

Taiwan
I wonder what the invoice was supposedly to pay for? Wierd.

America's Cup fraud allegations: NZ, Hungarian police investigating alleged scam

A payment from ACE to a Hungarian bank account has been described by Dalton as a "100 per cent external scam" which it reported to MBIE and the police as soon as it emerged.

Dalton said a hacker, believed to be in Europe, gained access to material belonging to a European-based television contractor, including details of contracts and when payments were due to be made.

The team received an email believed to be from the contractor just ahead of a scheduled payment, advising of a new – Hungarian – bank account to which the payment should be made.

A seven-figure sum was paid in accordance with the contract and the alarm was raised only some weeks later when the contractor inquired about a missing payment.

Dalton said it transpired the hacker had altered one character in the contractor's email address, which advised of the changed account.

Only a portion of the payment had been recovered following police investigations in New Zealand and Europe.

Miffy

Super Anarchist
Hawke said:
I for one am confident as I haven't bought into Adern's fear factor contest.
I don’t want to get into a debate re NZ politics. But... let me assure you. 

covid19 is hell. We’ve been in the thick of it since March. Our situation is getting worse. 

Please, and I can’t overstate it. Enjoy being able to go out and eat in a bar or not have to worry whether this is the week your clinical provider partner is going to catch it and whether she (with asthma) can survive. 

Miffy

Super Anarchist
Hawke said:
What situation?  The facts are that although those infected is arising the mortality rate of those infected is declining.  Yes even in the USA.
Rate is not a good indicator because 1) testing sets the denominator and the clinical and political system re who gets tested has been controversial. 2) even those who survive, many have lingering health challenges that we don’t know much about at the moment. Someone can survive one round. Lose immunity in 8 months and die in the second. Or after then catching the flu. 

we just don’t know what we don’t know. I don’t want to mess up this thread. There’s another forum for that. But take care and enjoy the gift you’ve been given and what many have sacrificed to maintain. 

SPEARO

NZ
back to the actual sailing - I watched ETNZ's AC75 sail a simulated race on the inner course this afternoon in 10kn SW breeze. Simulated pre start entry and a couple of laps, using Orakei bouy as the windward mark. I took a 3min video showing last two tacks into the top mark, the rounding (including flying through a fleet of 29ers at the top mark) and first gybe downwind (iPhone camera so no point as they got further away).

Any idea how to compress the video from iPhone and load here (seems max 10mb)? I cut in half but still too big.

They looked super stable in pretty light breeze, suprisingly big tacking angles though to stay foiling. Were doing dry laps.

chesirecat

Super Anarchist
Shoebox on M'way
"A seven-figure sum was paid in accordance with the contract and the alarm was raised only some weeks later when the contractor inquired about a missing payment."

"some weeks"  ?????

kenergy

Super Anarchist
Hawke said:
I assure you I am not a Trump supporter.  He is an idiot.  But explain this the rest of the world is opening their borders and still have community transmission.  Why?  Two reasons - the increase in new cases is not having an impact on health services nor causing more deaths; Secondly the economic cost and the consequences is starting to far outweigh the health cost.
Theres a whole thread to discuss this. 

But it is WAY too early to be making these grand statements, we can talk again in a month.

maxmini

Super Anarchist
Hawke said:
I assure you I am not a Trump supporter.  He is an idiot.  But explain this the rest of the world is opening their borders and still have community transmission.  Why?  Two reasons - the increase in new cases is not having an impact on health services nor causing more deaths; Secondly the economic cost and the consequences is starting to far outweigh the health cost.
Europe and Canada are preparing to bar any entry from the USA .  The percentage of those that die once they have become infected is now up to 5% and climbing . This info is 2 days old .

106335986_574308296552283_8113439780814938209_n.jpg

fish7yu

Taiwan
back to the actual sailing - I watched ETNZ's AC75 sail a simulated race on the inner course this afternoon in 10kn SW breeze. Simulated pre start entry and a couple of laps, using Orakei bouy as the windward mark. I took a 3min video showing last two tacks into the top mark, the rounding (including flying through a fleet of 29ers at the top mark) and first gybe downwind (iPhone camera so no point as they got further away).

Any idea how to compress the video from iPhone and load here (seems max 10mb)? I cut in half but still too big.

They looked super stable in pretty light breeze, suprisingly big tacking angles though to stay foiling. Were doing dry laps.

May be upload the video onto YouTube? then provide the YouTube link here.

SPEARO

NZ

Rubbish quality due to iPhone to Youtube, and to not give the spies any details. But gives a pretty good idea of racing geometry from almost an upwind position relative to the 'course' 

Teaky

Super Anarchist
Sydney
They must be quite confident in the controls to rinse about in a fleet of 9ers like that.  Perhaps the pre-starts will be interesting after all.