Emirates Team New Zealand.

Stingray~

Super Anarchist
PNW
The AC blurs the lines between who is responsible for putting on the event. The DoG states the “Match” is held by mutual consent between the Challenging club  and the Defending club. It doesn’t make provision for an external entity running the event. So in essence, ACE is an organisation put together by the Defender, and is run, in this case by the CEO of the defending clubs representative team - ETNZ, which is Dalton. ACE is simply a subsidiary of ETNZ.
This is all by legal consent, it’s controlled by the Host Venue Agreement, the  MC’d Protocol in concert with the CoR,  and the MC’d Design Rule. GD (or any parties to these agreements) do not have unilateral control.

Stingray~

Super Anarchist
PNW
Hawke said:
What's wrong with that?  There is a lot of public money in ETNZ AND ACE.  If that money is spent on successfully defending the Cup AND holding a successful global event all well and good.
Sure, fair opinion but the signed agreements matter and Govt agreed to pay $40m ‘to run the event’ come time for that - arguably not ‘to pay ETNZ lawyers and designers’ in the mean time, leaving the ‘run’ part short-budgeted. 

Last edited by a moderator:

Forourselves

Super Anarchist
New Zealand
This is all by legal consent, it’s controlled by the Host Venue Agreement, the  MC’d Protocol in concert with the CoR,  and the MC’d Design Rule. GD (or any parties to these agreements) do not have unilateral control.
Depends what that legal consent entails and who it is signed by or on behalf of. 

Just A Skosh

Super Anarchist
New Hampshire
I see you're in New Hampshire - you've just had a local notorious resident arrested by the Feds: Epstein's pimp Ghislaine Maxwell. The property she was arrested at looks very nice, and sold for just over US$1--mil last year!! Property like that with the land will set you back $10-12mil in Auckland or Queenstown.

View attachment 373920 View attachment 373918 View attachment 373916 View attachment 373915
Lol are you trying to insult where I live? I'm very happy to live in a little backwater slice of heaven.

Stingray~

Super Anarchist
PNW
Depends what that legal consent entails
Yep and apparently the public-money part of it will be scrutinized very closely and hopefully soon, and any necessary changes will made, repaid, whatever, and we all move on to better topics! 

Stingray~

Super Anarchist
PNW
Same take on it, by TE

https://i.stuff.co.nz/sport/americas-cup/122023438/americas-cup-grant-daltons-huge-mistake

Team New Zealand boss Grant Dalton made a “huge mistake” in taking on both team and event responsibilities for the 2021 America’s Cup.

That’s the view of long-time Cup aficionado and respected American yachting personality Tom Ehman as the New Zealand government suspends funding on the event while it undertakes a major investigation into "structural and financial matters" surrounding Team New Zealand's organisation of the America’s Cup.

Tornado-Cat

Super Anarchist
The AC blurs the lines between who is responsible for putting on the event. The DoG states the “Match” is held by mutual consent between the Challenging club  and the Defending club. It doesn’t make provision for an external entity running the event. So in essence, ACE is an organisation put together by the Defender, and is run, in this case by the CEO of the defending clubs representative team - ETNZ, which is Dalton. ACE is simply a subsidiary of ETNZ.
The AC does not blurr the lines, the Defending club is running the event and the match. The YC should appoint two directors, one for the team, the other for the event, not only as a firewall between the team and the event but also because it requires different competencies.

Also the city/governement pays for the event and the revenues it generates, not to allow the CEO to get a rebate for the event and use the saved money to pay for local or foreign designers/sailors.

Tornado-Cat

Super Anarchist
Same idea, by TE

https://i.stuff.co.nz/sport/americas-cup/122023438/americas-cup-grant-daltons-huge-mistake

Team New Zealand boss Grant Dalton made a “huge mistake” in taking on both team and event responsibilities for the 2021 America’s Cup.

That’s the view of long-time Cup aficionado and respected American yachting personality Tom Ehman as the New Zealand government suspends funding on the event while it undertakes a major investigation into "structural and financial matters" surrounding Team New Zealand's organisation of the America’s Cup.
^^ I think he knows what he is talking about.

Forourselves

Super Anarchist
New Zealand
The AC does not blurr the lines, the Defending club is running the event and the match. The YC should appoint two directors, one for the team, the other for the event, not only as a firewall between the team and the event but also because it requires different competencies.

Also the city/governement pays for the event and the revenues it generates, not to allow the CEO to get a rebate for the event and use the saved money to pay for local or foreign designers/sailors.
That’s exactly what they did. They hired Greg Horton and Tina Symmans and then Mayo and Calder as directors, that what this whole thing is about. Ultimately the Defender runs the cycle, which is why Dalton oversees both entities.

Stingray~

Super Anarchist
PNW
Dalton oversees both entities.
Not for long I bet..

Rightly or wrongly this situation is front-page news, things will have to change, public money being involved especially in the current environment. 

Forourselves

Super Anarchist
New Zealand
Not for long I bet..

Rightly or wrongly this situation is front-page news, things will change.
Maybe. Coutts was CEO of Oracle and ran the San Francisco event. It was front page news last time too after “that” press conference, it was front page news after San Francisco, it was front page news after Dean Barker got axed, He survived those, and if the I’s are dotted and t’s crossed and the investigation turns up nothing, he’ll survive this too. Problem is, the government invests in the team, in the event. It doesn’t run the event. They’re a stakeholder, but they don’t call the shots. ETNZ as defender calls the shots.

trt131

Super Anarchist
Maybe. Coutts was CEO of Oracle and ran the San Francisco event. It was front page news last time too after “that” press conference, it was front page news after San Francisco, it was front page news after Dean Barker got axed, He survived those, and if the I’s are dotted and t’s crossed and the investigation turns up nothing, he’ll survive this too. Problem is, the government invests in the team, in the event. It doesn’t run the event. They’re a stakeholder, but they don’t call the shots. ETNZ as defender calls the shots.
The difference is, this time it the tax payers money not a private backer.  There has to be a lot more accountability.

Stingray~

Super Anarchist
PNW
^ Nope, RC assigned Barclay to run accounts for AC34 in SF, someone else in Bermuda. 

re:”the government invests in the team, in the event. It doesn’t run the event. They’re a stakeholder, but they don’t call the shots. ETNZ as defender calls the shots.“

True to an extent but when the shots that get called run counter to the agreement there’s a big problem. 

Stingray~

Super Anarchist
PNW
Hawke said:
It's only front page news in the NZ Herald.  I think the rest of the World has Covid-19 on the front page.
It’s all over NZ TV and news and whatever, and yes- nobody outside NZ cares but guess who the AC36 audience is? Guess whose money that is?

We will for sure see leadership/accountability changes made, at the very least. Govt does not want any ‘Fox in the Henhouse’ feeding frenzy questions to have to answer to. 

Stingray~

Super Anarchist
PNW
Hawke said:
It isn't ALL Government money. 
Actually, the money-spend being disputed is about exactly that. Your money. 

Sure, you can argue about if $280m is better-spent elsewhere instead but ... ? What are your stats on per-person spend for this AC36 party?

nroose

Super Anarchist
Berkeley
Watching the videos, it seems like these boats are extremely stable and smooth. I guess there's a chance that they give up speed for the smoothness and stability? Perhaps B2 will be harder to handle.