Emirates Team New Zealand.

Sailbydate

Super Anarchist
Kohimarama
2 hours ago, mikenz2 said:

Back to the sailing... @weta27 they're back in your territory today

Air suspension pumped up to the max, flying that 0. 

Pic.Screen shot ex, mikenz2

Screen Shot 2020-07-03 at 1.47.30 PM.png

weta27

Super Anarchist
I think the stability and smoothness comes from the choreography of foil arm movements, flaps, rudder, sails, etc., and speed is something else. 

Last edited by a moderator:

weta27

Super Anarchist
Hawke said:
They are definitely more stable which creates the impression that they are slower.
Also the eye is attuned to watching the smaller boat - on a larger scale, Te Aihe doesn't give the same impression of speed.

Otherwise I don't see any change in the stance, just less tendency for the nose to pitch up or drop down, more pronounced through the turns.

Mitre cut

NZ
The lack of windspeed is what surprises me. These big glass-outs by Torpedo, be interesting toi see what the Bean Rock nowcasting was saying at same time.

mikenz2

Auckland
Also the eye is attuned to watching the smaller boat - on a larger scale, Te Aihe doesn't give the same impression of speed.

Otherwise I don't see any change in the stance, just less tendency for the nose to pitch up or drop down, more pronounced through the turns.
Handily, to help with the sense of speed, Te Aihe just came flying back into the harbour:

HD version still processing, as usual

Forourselves

Super Anarchist
New Zealand
She’s certainly a lot smoother than she was a few months ago. She seems rock steady on the foils. She’s obviously taken a couple of steps forward.

Last edited by a moderator:

Apterix

USA
Interesting that the outer foil tip seems to break the surface frequently in recent footage, and any ventilation that occurs as a result doesn't appear to effect lift.   

Looking much improved on the stability front and impressive bow down and low ride height travelling up wind.   

Sailbydate

Super Anarchist
Kohimarama
Hawke said:
So speed is still up there?  They are definitely more stable which creates the impression that they are slower.

My observation is there is significantly less air between the hull and the water than before the break.  Also they look more level from bow to stern.

Any comments?
Agree about being level (Vs more bow down trim) but IMO, ride height is higher in that vid.

Maybe just a lack of sea state?

weta27

Super Anarchist
I just caught her as she approached North Head, almost too late. Excuse the slight over-exposure, it was all a bit rushed.

DSC_0642.jpg

mikenz2

Auckland
I just caught her as she approached North Head, almost too late. Excuse the slight over-exposure, it was all a bit rushed.
Nice shot! I know the "bit rushed" feeling. It's 4.5 mins from the time she comes around North Head until they're too far up the harbour for me to film. It's always a bit of a panic :)

Sailbydate

Super Anarchist
Kohimarama
^Tell you what, Stinger. You finance the drone and we'll find someone to fly it. Sounds fair, no? ;-)

Attachments

• DSC_0642.jpg.7149235dba454947f0e5336f570c98b2.jpg
    DSC_0642.jpg.7149235dba454947f0e5336f570c98b2.jpg
    566 KB · Views: 0