Emirates Team New Zealand.

Windsurfer46

In some ways it reminds me of an old school Div 1 windsurfer which had a "displacement" style forward section and very flat planning aft section - flat with hard rails/edges.
I bet they have no intention of healing the boat to get it on it's foils, keep it flat so the aft flat sections can start planning early to then lift onto foils and give some "ground effect"..

FinnFish

Super Anarchist
Everyone talks about how ETNZ likes to throw the ball as far as they can to expand the design envelope.  It looks like they threw it into the INEO ball bag.
So what you're saying is that after seeing INEOS B2 they essentially copied the design and built their B2 in fourish weeks? Or two design teams working independently arrived at similar solutions to a common problem?

Nutta

Super Anarchist
Auckland, NZ
On a more serious note, can somebody explain how they managed to incorporate so many features of the other teams' B2 in the hull? I thought the build process had been going on for a long time... And the other B2s were launched like six weeks ago... 
ETNZ is trolling SA.

That's just a polystyrene mock up to induce hysteria on the forum. Actual B2 will roll out later today... 8)

Lickindip

Anarchist
Auckland
So what you're saying is that after seeing INEOS B2 they essentially copied the design and built their B2 in fourish weeks? Or two design teams working independently arrived at similar solutions to a common problem?
please do no use common sense on this forum ... its just not acceptable here  :D

these pods remind me of an oracle AC72 and ETNZ ac50

the tunnel down the middle makes sense for aero

the flat back looks to be the most reduction in drag while still being within the minimum width requirements

looking forward to seeing this thing in the water with some sails up

Ex-yachtie

Super Anarchist
Auckland, NZ
They're not identical. The sheer line of NZ B2 tapers away. Ineos B1 didn't do that. The low foredeck tunnel concept is similar though, if not more radical on B2 extending the foredeck height all the way aft - again different to Ineos, who had a ramp. They'll get nice flow through on the entire width of the deck, without the turbulence of the holes the others have.
Agreed.  I think what we're seeing is a wing with pods on each side for crew.  The stern (whilst severe, is the combination of three tapered edges coming together).

barfy

Super Anarchist
And it's just a foil delivery system at the end of the day...real interesting bit will be the foils they stick on for the Match.

Horn Rock

Super Anarchist
Byron Bay
three tapered edges coming together)
Again different to Ineos who maintain their keel line from stem to stern. NZ B2 taper theirs aft for that flat stern. A bit like Patriot in this regard. She looks to take many of the concepts of the other boats and blends them into what could be the most complete package.

D_Dog

I'm wanting to like her, but I'm not sure I do.

The stern does look cool, but not so much the high sides and bow. 

Only a mother could like a face like that...