Emirates Team New Zealand.

SiC

Auckland
I think the flare at the bow is to avoid going down the mine after a nosedive and to provide aero lift.  The skeg/ keel end plates to the water and provides for a low wetted surface when transitioning to foiling/ touch downs.  The hull volume, and therefore aero drag, is small because its heading towards being a surfboard with a keel. Aero over the topside looks slick with crew pods and a low mainsail for lowering COE.  The back is ugly based on the pics we have seen - maybe it will look better in the water?

Overall I quite like the shape of the front 3/4 of the boat so far.

I think the flare at the bow is to avoid going down the mine after a nosedive and to provide aero lift.  The skeg/ keel end plates to the water and provides for a low wetted surface when transitioning to foiling/ touch downs.  The hull volume, and therefore aero drag, is small because its heading towards being a surfboard with a keel. Aero over the topside looks slick with crew pods and a low mainsail for lowering COE.  The back is ugly based on the pics we have seen - maybe it will look better in the water?

Overall I quite like the shape of the front 3/4 of the boat so far.
What don’t you like about the last 1/4 ?

phill_nz

Super Anarchist
internet atm
I'm not sure about that. I'd like it to be able to cross a few bows.

maroro

1. (noun) flying fish, Cypselurus lineatus.

He maroro kokoti ihu waka (W 1971:184). / A flying fish that cuts across the canoe prow (a whakataukī for someone who crossed the path of a war party and was killed to ward off bad luck).

if thats the ref .. maroro is just the flying fish part of that ..

the shape reminds me of a flying fish .. hence maroro

KiwiJoker

Super Anarchist
Auckland, NZ
And that  afolks, is the next Cup winner.
Early days for sure but I'm agreeing with you. An interesting blend of design concepts that have already been floated, all flowing into a finished boat that suggests power, purpose and progress.

Didn't know what the design and build team had in store for us. That plus new surprises yet to be revealed.

IllusionWanderer

Chill SBD, Rita 1 still wins the fugly award by miles. NZ B2 whilst not pretty like Te Aihe, is growing on me. She's clever in the way she incorporates all the best concepts. The most advanced design of the fleet.
In the same way that The Homer adopted all the best automotive concepts. 

the-homer-inline4.jpg

trt131

Super Anarchist
I think it was Ben Lexan that said of another designer's boat "Jesus, even a turd tapers at the end"

Xlot

Super Anarchist
Rome
I think it was Ben Lexan that said of another designer's boat "Jesus, even a turd tapers at the end"
Talking of turds ... two in a single line ... it’s not Ben LEXCEN, it was Ted Turner telling Britton Chance what was wrong with Mariner

Last edited by a moderator:

terrafirma

Super Anarchist
Melbourne
Just as well there's still what appears to be a bustle of sorts, through the bottom, mid sections. That run aft looks flatter than a millpond.

I'm actually now embarrassed that I scoffed so hard at Rita1's looks. Sorry guys. I apologise. 

If this had been launched as INEOS B2, I think I may have understood it a little more.

Right now, I'm struggling.
So you should be embarrassed SD..!  Here mate eat some of this...!  :D

humble-pie.jpg

terrafirma

Super Anarchist
Melbourne
Spare a thought for Prada and American Magic right now..! Nick Holroyd getting a lot of smiles and taps on the back today.! When Ben and Grant Simmer said to Holroyd "Sure you want to sign off on this mate?"  This is exactly why Ineos hired Nick once a Kiwi always a Kiwi.!  :D

Stingray~

Super Anarchist
PNW
Nick Holroyd getting a lot of smiles and taps on the back today.!
Agreed. The Jedi of ETNZ, no surprise Holroyd’s pupil Bernasconi followed in the same direction with the underhull. 

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts