Emirates Team New Zealand.

SimonN

Super Anarchist
Sydney ex London
NZ B2 is a big surprise to just about everyone.  For a design team that prides themselves in being innovative and unique, there is nothing unique about B2 except for the enclosed crew areas.  Even that is a copy of the old AC45.  Every other element is seen on another AC75’s and some of those have even been discarded.
Really?? If ETNZ had been the first to launch, everybody would have been saying how innovative the boat was. there might have been some comment about having the same slab sides as Ineos B1, but the rest would have been all new. By the time ETNZ saw any of the other boats, their B2 was well underway and they couldn't change the design. It seems to me that based on all the available information, which includes what others have built, both ETNZ and Ineos have, totally independently, ended up with similar ideas as to what is important in a hull.

However, as any foiler will tell you, it doesn't matter how good your platform is if the foils aren't good enough. Great foils on an average platform will beat average foils on a great platform. Same with the rig and its control systems, although I suspect that this time around there aren't as many gains to be made in the rig as there are in the foils.

Horn Rock

Super Anarchist
Byron Bay
Every other element is seen on another AC75’s and some of those have even been discarded.
Yeah but none of them have put them together like ETNZ has. Still, hull shape is likely to be only 5-10% of the equation. Foils, rig/sails, control system, and how well they get around the track make up most of the performance.

It's even more similar if you look at the rear of a Porsche 919 LMP1...

zupporkx001.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Ncik

Super Anarchist
So now we've seen all the boats, what are the predictions?

ETNZ will win over INEOS is my guess.

terrafirma

Super Anarchist
Melbourne
NZ B2 is a big surprise to just about everyone.  For a design team that prides themselves in being innovative and unique, there is nothing unique about B2 except for the enclosed crew areas.  Even that is a copy of the old AC45.  Every other element is seen on another AC75’s and some of those have even been discarded.
Yes but do we really know if they copied or they were always going that way? Think about it, Nick Holroyd Ineos and Dan Bernasconi ETNZ long time co-designers. There's an argument for both ways but at the moment because they launched later it looks like they copied? I'm not too sure about that?

Unfortunately they have in the past. Hopefully not again...
32 and 38 were obviously fast

57 and 60 were fast

81 and 82 were fast but fragile

91 (?) and 92 were fast but 100 was just a little more consistent

The AC72 was fast but yes a little slower at the end

The AC50 was fast.

So that's one dud in 25 years... Maybe ;)

trt131

Super Anarchist
What really surprises me is the number of KIWI fanbois that rubbished the other boats as being ugly, particularly the Poms, but now are saying ETNZ B2 great, fast and unique.  Where can i buy those rose-coloured glasses.

Last edited by a moderator:

NZL3481

NZL3481
32 and 38 were obviously fast

57 and 60 were fast

81 and 82 were fast but fragile

91 (?) and 92 were fast but 100 was just a little more consistent

The AC72 was fast but yes a little slower at the end

The AC50 was fast.

So that's one dud in 25 years... Maybe ;)
Fragile didn't win too many races though. The rest were quick.