Emirates Team New Zealand.

Horn Rock

Super Anarchist
Byron Bay
diag.jpg

There's a controllable diagonal batten running up from the clew box. Actually I think there's more than one. In the clip you can see subtle camber adjustments as well.

Kate short for Bob

Super Anarchist
49 minutes ago, weta27 said:

Fuck that looks good!

Looks like the helmsman and trimmers are in positions 3 and 6 (counting from the stern) of each pod.  Mainsail trimmer in position 6.  Possibly the flight trimmer and helmsman swap positions during tacks?

RMac

Anarchist
I think the line running fwd is the reverse outhaul (don't call it an inhaul) which changes the angle of the mainsheet, essentially when it's trimmed on it chokes the lead fwd, which means the mainsheet is giving more tension into the leech than the foot. If you ease it off, the foot gets tighter.

Gotta say I like their setup better than my idea from the LR boomless discussion. That is simple and slick. 

rh3000

Super Anarchist
Auckland, New Zealand
1 hour ago, weta27 said:

Fuck me... the music certainly adds to it, but it feels like this is slow-mo footage at the start... except its not, seeing the boat gather speed, adjust foil to rotate hull as it brings on more righting moment, and then just starts climbing out of the water is pretty amazing...

Starting to really love the thinking behind B2

Last edited by a moderator:
Watching that latest airflow video I am a convert to B2. It looks like an absolute weapon.

Still too early to draw any real conclusions but so far it looks pretty promising!

The new shape makes sense when you see it in that kind of light wind

NZL3481

NZL3481
Yeah looking at the latest vid from Airflow, Josh Junior is on the Port side - steers while Ashby/Burling cross. Ashby goes to the very front of the front pod, and he's looking backward up at the main. Josh Junior turns around to grind after Burling is in. Then Tuke goes across to the leeward side. Josh doesn't cross afaik, so I think Andy Maloney is doing the same thing on the starboard side.
They're both more than capable of driving...

Horn Rock

Super Anarchist
Byron Bay
Lr_clean.jpg

Thought I'd post this here since we're looking at the clew setups. Certainly a very clean setup from LR. Not nearly as much "stuff" like ETNZ's. Main looks very nice.

rh3000

Super Anarchist
Auckland, New Zealand
Yeah looking at the latest vid from Airflow, Josh Junior is on the Port side - steers while Ashby/Burling cross. Ashby goes to the very front of the front pod, and he's looking backward up at the main. Josh Junior turns around to grind after Burling is in. Then Tuke goes across to the leeward side. Josh doesn't cross afaik, so I think Andy Maloney is doing the same thing on the starboard side.
I recall a comment on here the other day suggesting that you aren't legally allowed to cross infront of the mast, but I've just re-read the class rules, and it appears you certainly can.

Screen Shot 2020-11-24 at 11.07.48 AM.png

Basically you need to stay within the back 9m (~mast point) of the boat unless crossing, handling sails or trying to fish Outteridge, where you have a 2m window, but if you go more than 11m forward you then need a tether.

Screen Shot 2020-11-24 at 11.08.00 AM.png

Therefor I think any crosses for ETNZ will happen on front of the mast.

Kate short for Bob

Super Anarchist
I recall a comment on here the other day suggesting that you aren't legally allowed to cross infront of the mast, but I've just re-read the class rules, and it appears you certainly can.

View attachment 408916

Basically you need to stay within the back 9m (~mast point) of the boat unless crossing, handling sails or trying to fish Outteridge, where you have a 2m window, but if you go more than 11m forward you then need a tether.

View attachment 408917

Therefor I think any crosses for ETNZ will happen on front of the mast.
Hence those that move being more forward in the crew positions than they were in Bermuda (not that I'm apparently allowed to compare to Bermuda).  From my observation they are in positions 3 and 6 with 6 being closest to the mast.  Which from a COG perspective would limit the impacts of shifting weight.

Mozzy Sails

Super Anarchist
United Kingdom
okay. Could be. The previous set of structures were running more along the foot, rather than diagonal, i thought. But I could have been looking at different lines on the sails. 

Those lines to the mast look like the 'spanner' systems. Or linked to it.

INEOS are rotating the mast with the boom. I think Luna Rosa were using that big plate on the mast foot we saw on the old mast. God know what they are doing now. 

Mozzy Sails

Super Anarchist
United Kingdom
A look at the "clew box" - maybe not as solid as it looks.

View attachment 408891
Not wanting to start another 'there be lines on the hull' debate. But looks like the where the main tracks go in to the pod the cover above doesn't quite sit flush. Do you think these could pop up to allow a greater range of traveller? Holding leach and foot tension out to wider sheeting angles.

Something INEOS seemed to struggle with on their boomless set up. Once you get to the end of that track, it becomes very hard to ease the sheeting angle without dumping loads of depth in to the main at the same time. 

Kate short for Bob

Super Anarchist
http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/americas-cup/123487135/americas-cup-team-new-zealands-clever-new-systems-emerge?cid=app-android

Helmsman Peter Burling, wing controller Glenn Ashy and flight controller Blair Tuke are still changing sides while the grinders remain static.

But their moves now see them darting around in front of the mast rather than across the stern of the boat as they were doing on their first generation boat Te Aihe.

Burling has also shifted his steering position further forward, now situated between two grinding stations.

This will allow him a more smooth ride away from the G-forces hitting the back of the boat during the high speed turns.

It also gives him easier access to the mast zone for his transitions to the windward side of the boat during these turns.

Kiwing

Super Anarchist
Bay of Islands
Could they spread the mast sides somehow, to allow the curve to be more possible?

Or have they weakened the mast to allow it and stand the risk of the mast breaking?