Emirates Team New Zealand.

Sailbydate

Super Anarchist
Kohimarama
ETNZ have many strengths but graphic design is not one of them. Working in the creative industry, I find their boat graphics horrendous.

However, they're fast and that's all that counts.
Jeeeze, SB, I'm still trying to bond with the muffin top, wide arse body, let alone the war paint!

Last edited by a moderator:

weta27

Super Anarchist
Jeeeze, SB, I'm still trying to bond with the muffin top, wide arse body
The more I see of her up close and in full flight, the more beautiful she gets!

We were parked on the end of the starting line for four starts and there are just no words to describe the feeling as she goes past in close proximity - speed, size, power, control ... the hairs were standing up on the back of my neck.

I'm in love.

Priscilla

Super Anarchist
I thought they were not allowed aerial imaging of the competitors' boats...
What boat I don’t see any boat there...

07E6AC73-184B-46AC-B36E-57103CED2A83.jpeg

Priscilla

Super Anarchist
The more I see of her up close and in full flight, the more beautiful she gets!

We were parked on the end of the starting line for four starts and there are just no words to describe the feeling as she goes past in close proximity - speed, size, power, control ... the hairs were standing up on the back of my neck.

I'm in love.
Me too :wub:

AC75TeRehutaiDraftCadV1.png

nroose

Super Anarchist
Berkeley
astro said:
Last time I checked wrinkles weren't fast.
Seems like it isn't that the wrinkles are fast, it's that with a sail that you are using to go around a course in winds that vary at least a little, you sometimes get wrinkles when you are shaping the sail for the moment you are in. I don't like to have wrinkles either in my main, but sometimes it ends up being the fastest. If you could somehow have a holographic shape shifting sail that would have the right structural properties and shape at every moment, it seems like it wouldn't have wrinkles. Yanking on the cunningham to get the wrinkles out will definitely change the overall shape of the sail a lot, not just taking out the wrinkles.

nroose

Super Anarchist
Berkeley
So where's the guy who said the teams know the pecking order? BB seems to think the teams themselves don't know.
There are always favorites in every competition. And most of the time they win. But sometimes not. If they always won, it would be less exciting, and there'd be little point to actually racing. But that doesn't mean that there aren't favorites. And this time, TNZ is favored.

Boybland

Super Anarchist
Morioka, Japan
I suspect they are trying all the modes. Maybe made a wrong call or did it on purpose.
The strange thing is though, they were right at the top of the wind range, if it's not for that day, then what day is a smaller jib and / or main for?

Likewise, it is a little surprising ETNZ didn't look overpowered.  Maybe they were and can actually go faster with a smaller rig...

dullers

Super Anarchist
Englandshire
The strange thing is though, they were right at the top of the wind range, if it's not for that day, then what day is a smaller jib and / or main for?

Likewise, it is a little surprising ETNZ didn't look overpowered.  Maybe they were and can actually go faster with a smaller rig...
All I know is that if I was in Pradas shoes(Nice shoes they would be to!) I would not be wanting to make the Kiwi boat look slow. Nothing to be gained by doing that.  At the end of the day it could have been a bad sail call or a very astute one. We know this is all akin to comparing nuclear submarines with smoke and mirrors being the plan.

I am reminded of the Battle of Britain where the British over estimated the strength of the Luftwaffe and acted accordingly. The Luftwaffe did the opposite and under estimated the size of the RAF and acted accordingly. 

MaxHugen

Super Anarchist
All I know is that if I was in Pradas shoes(Nice shoes they would be to!) I would not be wanting to make the Kiwi boat look slow. Nothing to be gained by doing that.  At the end of the day it could have been a bad sail call or a very astute one. We know this is all akin to comparing nuclear submarines with smoke and mirrors being the plan.

I am reminded of the Battle of Britain where the British over estimated the strength of the Luftwaffe and acted accordingly. The Luftwaffe did the opposite and under estimated the size of the RAF and acted accordingly. 
The Kiwis may have wanted to practise with sails a bit larger than what they'd consider "ideal" for the wind strength. If they hoist their #1 main before a race, and within 30 mins of race start the wind picks up a bit, what do you do? I don't know how long it would take to swap headsails, but I'd hazard a guess and say 30 mins sure wouldn't be enough!

Instead, test with the larger sails and see how well you can keep up the camber low down for power, and flatten/twist the top to avoid excess heel.

I recall that in assessments of AC35,  NZ were said to have managed their foils over a wider wind range than other teams, through sail handling and use of the rudder foils I think.

Boink

Super Anarchist
In a world of windage reduction, why sheet the headsail so far aft, and where the hell are the winches?

View attachment 413562

View attachment 413563
Think about the effects of geometry if you were to move the that aft turning block up to within say a metre behind the transverse jibs tracks.

Everytime you wanted to inhaul or release the jib sheeting angle along those tracks, you would also need to compensate the length of jib sheet in unison or bugger up the twist profile of the jib.

This way, they can alter the jib AOA up and down the Jib track rapidly and repeatedly without havig to alter the Jib Sheet at all......

Simples.

The Bigger question is about those deck led rams off the Mast bracket that lead to the mainsail clew.

We know that Mast rotation is acheved underdeck as no other boat has this arrangement above deck.

Furthermore it is proposed that it is connected to the mainsail clew (correct) and is adjustable in length (also correct - they are long travel rams at the mast bracket end).

I am wondering about what happens at the Mainsail clew end of the mechanism. We know that there is a Diagonal Box Batten system that starts at Deck Level - passes through the Mainsheet ram attachment point and continues up in that Diagonal path to what can be considered the "Clew Corner".

My thinking is that these rams either straighten or relax the windward skin to separate it from the leeward skin giving many more profiles and camber options - by turning around a turning sheeve it the lower most section of that Diagonal Batten Box and onto the rear end of the Deck sweeper Batten. And/or it also induces a Vang effect upon that Diagonal Batten Box structure - whic pivots in a see-saw action around the Hyrdraulic Ram Attachment point. Thereby, as the deck sweeper rams are tensioned it will effectively vang the leech of the windward mainsail - independent of the mainsheet tension. I can think of times when keeping these two effects independent of each oither would be beneficial.

The sail loads and adjustability through that take off phase must be highly variabale and very demanding.

There is a whole cats cradle of control lines going on at the Clew end - so I can forgive the odd wrinkle to what is otherwise a very effective solution.

Thoughts from the Non-Peanut Gallery????

Ex-yachtie

Super Anarchist
Auckland, NZ
Think about the effects of geometry if you were to move the that aft turning block up to within say a metre behind the transverse jibs tracks.

Everytime you wanted to inhaul or release the jib sheeting angle along those tracks, you would also need to compensate the length of jib sheet in unison or bugger up the twist profile of the jib.

This way, they can alter the jib AOA up and down the Jib track rapidly and repeatedly without havig to alter the Jib Sheet at all......

Simples.
I understand why you’re saying, but it it were “simples”, why have LR come up with an alternate?

18A1D4CB-BEED-41F8-94A7-FE37936CBA82.jpeg

Ex-yachtie

Super Anarchist
Auckland, NZ
In a world of windage reduction, why sheet the headsail so far aft, and where the hell are the winches?

View attachment 413562
Given the amount of space the Italians need for their winch, the kiwis seem to have reduced the cockpit size by doing something clever with their winches and hiding them away, without the need to expose them to enable access (as pointed out elsewhere).

Are they mounted on the side of the cockpit?  Anyone seen them?

16380343-92C4-4382-A89A-4280EE4480BD.jpeg