Emirates Team New Zealand.

jaysper

Super Anarchist
Wellington
26 minutes ago, terrafirma said:

TR testing a Code Zero but from the footage which is from a distance I didn't see them get up on the foils. Not sure this is a good thing or a bad thing for them given they are using smaller foils. Do they think they may need something extra to help them up? 

Having two sails up like that just seems bizarre.

We are told that having a code zero up is too draggy, but they've got a zero plus another?

Huh?????

Last edited by a moderator:

zillafreak

Anarchist
Newport Beach
1 hour ago, terrafirma said:

TR testing a Code Zero but from the footage which is from a distance I didn't see them get up on the foils. Not sure this is a good thing or a bad thing for them given they are using smaller foils. Do they think they may need something extra to help them up? 

Yeah well that worked well. Or not...

jaysper

Super Anarchist
Wellington
Very odd indeed. They are also not using a J1 !

Are they trying to put the wind up the Italians?
Given that they have a furler installed, they are making the tradeoff between the extra drag of the zero vs the ability to get foil borne AT ALL in super light winds.

I would have thought any winds low enough to warrant this would be below the race limits.

MaxHugen

Super Anarchist
Given that they have a furler installed, they are making the tradeoff between the extra drag of the zero vs the ability to get foil borne AT ALL in super light winds.

I would have thought any winds low enough to warrant this would be below the race limits.
Ditto.   And if they use the C0 to get on the foils, they then have the substantial drag of the furled sail. Plus, they did not even have the J1 hoisted, looked like maybe the J2, so I really don't know what they were trying to test!

jaysper

Super Anarchist
Wellington
Ditto.   And if they use the C0 to get on the foils, they then have the substantial drag of the furled sail. Plus, they did not even have the J1 hoisted, looked like maybe the J2, so I really don't know what they were trying to test!
Our patience? ;)

Honestly it just has to be a hail mary pass if "all else fails", but if they CAN'T foil without that can LR CAN then its game-o.

I can only see this being of use in a drift fest like they had vs INEOS where they started in marginal winds which then dropped to fuck all.

BUT, if the winds don't drop like that then they are left dragging that big arse sail through the air, which even when furled has GOT to be a bitch.

They obviously know a TRUCK LOAD more about this than I could ever dream of knowing, so I can only assume there is some special sauce in there that makes this all make sense.