Emirates Team New Zealand.

NSP

Anarchist
Agree, there is zero chance anyone will offer him that.  And if they do, I'm available for a cheap $1m a year

Paddywackery

Super Anarchist
Ireland
It would be interesting to see the numbers across all the teams. EB and LE set the bar but it’s unlikely those levels are sustainable. 

Last edited by a moderator:

Paddywackery

Super Anarchist
Ireland
I think Wussell got paid close to that, but I can't see GD getting that cos he seems to lack the political nous Wussell has.
Wussell got way more than that, and Buttermilk and Jimmy when he was with Oracle. And then there were significant performance bonuses. 

jaysper

Super Anarchist
Wellington
Wussell got way more than that, and Buttermilk and Jimmy. 
I thought the figure was USD$15 Million for Wussell, but either way can you imagine anyone paying GD that?

He seems like a very loyal and great friend to have, but is far too abrasive towards everyone else.

Wussell is a total cunt for sure, but doesn't seem to have that problem.

Paddywackery

Super Anarchist
Ireland
I thought the figure was USD$15 Million for Wussell, but either way can you imagine anyone paying GD that?

He seems like a very loyal and great friend to have, but is far too abrasive towards everyone else.

Wussell is a total cunt for sure, but doesn't seem to have that problem.
Nobody is going to pay anything like that to anyone. That’s the result of Billionaire egos and being in the right place at the right time with the right resume. And Coutts delivered. 

GD is irascible, tetchy and undervalued in his own mind. But he is a world class warrior, bleeds Kiwi and harnesses hurt better than most. I don’t think anybody could have delivered what he did after the heartache and financial ruin of SFO. 

Coutts is a weasel and plays the game much better. 

Tornado-Cat

Super Anarchist
You think this, why?

You imply that thanks to some type of 'disclosure' we've discovered some secret that GD spends time in Europe - it's no secret mate... GD's movements are his own fucking business, but they certainly aren't hidden. He's a global player, and enjoys riding his bike in the Isle of Man, or smashing piss in Cowes - good on him.

I'm not sure you've been paying attention, but GD is a control freak, not a money freak. The reason why he wanted to run ETNZ and ACE is for control. You still don't seem to understand that acrueing numbers in a bank account is regarded as a fools errand by many when there are far more interesting, challenging, and rewarding endeavours to be had - GD is in this camp.

You think he's in it for fucking commission? Jesus wept... 
You have to be paid shit loads of money for that, which makes SR argument right.

Paddywackery

Super Anarchist
Ireland
You have to be paid shit loads of money for that, which makes SR argument right.
Well let’s see ..... free first class travel with Emirates, never late with Omega, shuttled around in a Toyota, as much as he can eat with McDonalds, management assistance and an office anywhere with McKinsey ..... maybe he doesn’t need to spend shit loads of money for that  :lol:  

jaysper

Super Anarchist
Wellington
Nobody is going to pay anything like that to anyone. That’s the result of Billionaire egos and being in the right place at the right time with the right resume. And Coutts delivered. 

GD is irascible, tetchy and undervalued in his own mind. But he is a world class warrior, bleeds Kiwi and harnesses hurt better than most. I don’t think anybody could have delivered what he did after the heartache and financial ruin of SFO. 

Coutts is a weasel and plays the game much better. 
Spot on.

I think GD is probably a better leader than Blake was and more tenacious too.

Without him Etnz would have folded long ago.

But he can't stop himself sometimes and it's not a great look.

Paddywackery

Super Anarchist
Ireland
But he can't stop himself sometimes and it's not a great look.
It’s a deficiency he cannot overcome because he cannot forget. And that’s human. It’s not a great look and does him an enormous disservice. But the deficiencies drive him like a demon. That’s why he’s such a ferocious competitor and loyal leader. Everyone at the team are like his children, mess with them and he will kill you. I like that. 

Stingray~

Super Anarchist
PNW
A big problem for GD, in my guestimation, is that Emirates is like most airlines bleeding $Billions during the pandemic. And Matteo di Nora is not as fat a cat as to be willing to make up the shortfall. 

The HVA guarantees (right?) that ETNZ can keep their newly-repurposed on public funds, Crystal Palace if they win. That must be a cost-factor in favor of staying in AKL... unless someone dangles a rent free facilities and maybe rent-free accomodations too, elsewhere. Venues like Dubai may also have income tax advantages for the likes of GD. 

US NFL teams are pretty ruthless about moving to where the money is, the Oakland Raiders to Las Vegas being a recent example. The money guys (like GD) put a much higher priority on profits than on (city) nationality. It’s  just the brutal fact of commercial sports, which is GD’s and so therefore ETNZ’s model. 

If GD really wanted to attract more teams (why would he, but anyway..) then he’d be on the phone to the likes of TT and EB and whoever-else, not f’ing Dubai.. 

Paddywackery

Super Anarchist
Ireland
I big problem for GD, in my guestimation, is that Emirates is like most airlines bleeding $Billions during the pandemic. And Matteo di Nora is not as fat a cat as to be willing to make up the shortfall. 

The HVA guarantees (right?) that ETNZ can keep their newly-repurposed on public funds, Crystal Palace if they win. That must be a cost-factor in favor of staying in AKL... unless someone dangles a rent free facilities m, and maybe rent-free accomodations too, elsewhere. Venues like Dubai may also have income tax advantages for the likes of GD. 
Emirates lost almost 4 Billion in the first 6 months of 2020. Prior 30 years very profitable. State owned and funded so no immediate panic. And they’re starting to ramp up flights again but further losses to follow. So maybe they’ll look at their sponsorships but this is small money for them. 

I suspect that there’s a bigger, more long term commercial plan in the works that will make sponsorship secondary. 

NSP

Anarchist
I big problem for GD, in my guestimation, is that Emirates is like most airlines bleeding $Billions during the pandemic. And Matteo di Nora is not as fat a cat as to be willing to make up the shortfall.
I believe there's a reason why Gabe Newell came on with a "watch this space".  The Emirates execs describe ETNZ as one of their best sponsorship investments, but they will surely be forced to seriously consider whether they continue under-writing big check campaigns.

Latest posts