Emirates Team New Zealand.

mako23

Super Anarchist
Auckland
A big problem for GD, in my guestimation, is that Emirates is like most airlines bleeding $Billions during the pandemic. And Matteo di Nora is not as fat a cat as to be willing to make up the shortfall. 

The HVA guarantees (right?) that ETNZ can keep their newly-repurposed on public funds, Crystal Palace if they win. That must be a cost-factor in favor of staying in AKL... unless someone dangles a rent free facilities and maybe rent-free accomodations too, elsewhere. Venues like Dubai may also have income tax advantages for the likes of GD. 

US NFL teams are pretty ruthless about moving to where the money is, the Oakland Raiders to Las Vegas being a recent example. The money guys (like GD) put a much higher priority on profits than on (city) nationality. It’s  just the brutal fact of commercial sports, which is GD’s and so therefore ETNZ’s model. 

If GD really wanted to attract more teams (why would he, but anyway..) then he’d be on the phone to the likes of TT and EB and whoever-else, not f’ing Dubai.. 
I really think that Dalts is just rattling his can to make sure he’s funded properly in the next round. He will be in Auckland or Wellington if they successfully defend.  I think he doesn’t want a repeat of 2003 where EB bought a solution.  With rumour floating about EB return he needs funding straight after to keep Kiwi talent. Maybe the nationality rule needs to be hammered down harder. 

Also costs need to be kept down with a wage cap and one boat per syndicate. You should be able to run a successful campaign for 100 Million USD

Last edited by a moderator:

Woolfy

Anarchist
Waiheke Island
Well let’s see ..... free first class travel with Emirates, never late with Omega, shuttled around in a Toyota, as much as he can eat with McDonalds, management assistance and an office anywhere with McKinsey ..... maybe he doesn’t need to spend shit loads of money for that  :lol:  
You forgot the Steinlager, very important... Can't stand it myself, but free beer is not to be sniffed at.

Sailbydate

Super Anarchist
Kohimarama
Of course you are right Sailbydate - been talking to too many people at the Royal Hong Kong Yacht Club recently. Partly brain freeze, partly typing just looking at keyboard and partly auto-correct.

There's three poor excuses for you but you know what I meant.  :wub:

Thanks for the correction
Yeah, mate. I knew what you meant. And I feel like a bit of an arsehole now. Serves me right, eh? Ha, ha.  :unsure:

Jandals

Ottawa
Finding money and hiring the best talent are his best management assets.
Sir Peter was the master. A leader of men. GD us not even in the same ocean. But he's learnt a lot since the F&P and NZ Endeavour days. But I think he's the best we've got and I do admire him immensely. He's done great things for NZ. 

weta27

Super Anarchist
No sailing today, so a filler ...

DSC_3908.JPG

shanghaisailor

Super Anarchist
Shanghai, China
Well let’s see ..... free first class travel with Emirates, never late with Omega, shuttled around in a Toyota, as much as he can eat with McDonalds, management assistance and an office anywhere with McKinsey ..... maybe he doesn’t need to spend shit loads of money for that  :lol:  
You make a very valid point Paddywackery Value in Kind (VIK) sponsorship can often make a significant part of a sponsorship budget

jaysper

Super Anarchist
Wellington
Sir Peter was the master. A leader of men. GD us not even in the same ocean. But he's learnt a lot since the F&P and NZ Endeavour days. But I think he's the best we've got and I do admire him immensely. He's done great things for NZ. 
I think that is being manifestly unfair to GD.

It is no secret that I think he needs to learn to shut up.

But he has done something with ETNZ that I doubt Blake could and doubt even more he would have bothered.

He clearly engenders a great deal of respect and loyalty among his team.

Horn Rock

Super Anarchist
Byron Bay
He clearly engenders a great deal of respect and loyalty among his team.
And his sponsors....... Guys like Matteo De Nora think very highly of GD, and have stuck with him through thick and thin....Ditto Emirates. Comparisons with Blake are pretty pointless - different personalities, but there's no doubt GD is very good at what he does - which is raise the money, and manage a big team. To come back from SF and win in Bermuda, was exceptional. You don't do that if you're a mug.

jaysper

Super Anarchist
Wellington
And his sponsors....... Guys like Matteo De Nora think very highly of GD, and have stuck with him through thick and thin....Ditto Emirates. Comparisons with Blake are pretty pointless - different personalities, but there's no doubt GD is very good at what he does - which is raise the money, and manage a big team. To come back from SF and win in Bermuda, was exceptional. You don't do that if you're a mug.
Yep, hence my comment about his dig at GD being manifestly unfair.

If he'd said he wasn't a particularly great sailor, I think even GD would have agreed with that.

But what he said was the purest of total and utter bollocks.

hoom

Super Anarchist
Orkland
The B behind TNZ is the NZ Govt & the collective NZ taxpayer.

GD needs to remember that.

His method of keeping that B sweet and the checkbook open for this cycle has been to repeatedly sling shit in the face of that B.

Its disgraceful disrespectful and unacceptable.

Forourselves

Super Anarchist
New Zealand
Whether ETNZ wins or loses it, I'm pretty sure in the long run GD will regret throwing away 20 years of good relationships with Luna Rossa and Bertelli, and switching alliances with characters like Ratcliffe.
No he won't. LR burned that relationship, not the other way around. The NZ public knows that, and so does Dalton. As soon as LR enlisted Butterworth as their spokes person, and Sirena publicly said he "didn't care" about his conflict with Dalton and ETNZ, that was it. The relationship was over. Then came the arbitration case removing courses B & C effectively eliminating one of the best spectator viewing areas of the event, until they were reinstated, and it was a snowball effect, whether it was Challenger conflicts, or mutual consent conflicts with the Defender. They've burned their own bridges with ETNZ and GD as well as a good portion of the NZ public, not to mention the other Challenging teams. LR have gone all in this time. IMO this will be the last LR campaign if they lose. If they return as a Challenger, thats what they'll be, just another challenger with no rights as CoR, no power, and most importantly, no input into the next Class Rule.

Last edited by a moderator: