Emirates Team New Zealand.

strider470

Super Anarchist
No he won't. LR burned that relationship, not the other way around. The NZ public knows that, and so does Dalton. As soon as LR enlisted Butterworth as their spokes person, and Sirena publicly said he "didn't care" about his conflict with Dalton and ETNZ, that was it. The relationship was over. Then came the arbitration case removing courses B & C effectively eliminating one of the best spectator viewing areas of the event, until they were reinstated, and it was a snowball effect, whether it was Challenger conflicts, or mutual consent conflicts with the Defender. They've burned their own bridges with ETNZ and GD as well as a good portion of the NZ public, not to mention the other Challenging teams. LR have gone all in this time. IMO this will be the last LR campaign if they lose.
I call this a smelling pile of bullshit.

Priscilla

Super Anarchist
I call this a smelling pile of bullshit.
Typical Four fanboy tanty rant from the village idiot.

Lord Dalton has lived under the shadow of  Peter Blake for quite a large portion of his sailing career the win in Bermuda lifted some of the weight of that historical angst but he simply lacks the integrity honesty and class Peter had in spades.

Geppeto2

New Zealand
I wonder if Forourselves has watched Sunday documentry on TVNZ tonight detailing the kidnapping and imprisoment of the daughter of the chairman of Emirates Airlines. Sheikh Maktoum. A spat between LR and ETNZ  pales to insignificance compared to that. 

Priscilla

Super Anarchist
Going to bang on further.

This whole will it stay will it go put it up for the highest tender it’s all about the team of 150 smacks of Peter Jackson's high noon bluff with the Lord of the Rings going offshore which subsequently saw the rewriting of local employment law to suit offshore profiteers interests rather than local workers interests.

Has the tender for the next AC events destination closed and been accepted as TNZ had a close off date 6th March.

Last edited by a moderator:

hoom

Super Anarchist
Orkland
LR burned that relationship, not the other way around.
Thats what GDs media campaign tells you.

But LR clearly hired BB in exasperation after a whole bunch of stouches that shouldn't have been stouches.

Blaming LR for the courses thing which was absolutely unequivocally a Host organisation issue (ACE failed to secure use of the course before announcing it, ACE failed to have a structure that kept the parties properly informed when it turned out they didn't have access, ACE failed to sort it with the Harbourmaster -> Govt had to step in) was probably the last straw.

JonRowe

Super Anarchist
Offshore.
Blaming LR for the courses thing which was absolutely unequivocally a Host organisation issue (ACE failed to secure use of the course before announcing it, ACE failed to have a structure that kept the parties properly informed when it turned out they didn't have access, ACE failed to sort it with the Harbourmaster -> Govt had to step in) was probably the last straw.
Except LR, or rather their COR organisation agreed to the use of the courses with those access provisions, then later complained. "We agreed to this but now we have changed our minds". Not on either side here as I think both have been guilty of playing politics, but the course debacle was made a debacle by LRs protest, prior to that it was probably another MC fuck up.

hoom

Super Anarchist
Orkland
Except LR, or rather their COR organisation agreed to the use of the courses with those access provisions, then later complained.
Except it was GDs chosen managers M&C representing both CoR & ACE at that meeting who agreed to it and apparently failed to bother to tell the Challengers.

That is an ACE structural failing.

JonRowe

Super Anarchist
Offshore.
Except it was GDs chosen managers M&C representing both CoR & ACE at that meeting who agreed to it and apparently failed to bother to tell the Challengers.

That is an ACE structural failing.
Except COR had agreed to that, meaning they are equally at fault in the original decision. Both ACE and COR delegated to M&C, thats not a structural failing on either side just as it turns out a bad decision, and seeing how M&C eventually wound up "spying" for the COR puts weight towards COR being more involved in M&C than ACE. Either way you're putting more blame on GD than deserved.

strider470

Super Anarchist
@Forourselves
 maybe I lost some comments, but I couldn't find anything from you regarding competing in the Match under Covid Level 2, and with exemption asked by none other than ACE for level 3. So let's talk again about Italian hounour and respect. You are allowed to search your previous comments on the subject. You are always so keen on throwing shit against Luna Rossa that I can't honestly understand you. We are, all of us, passionate supporters of our own teams, Kiwis and Italians, and we can  cheer the ones without necessarily spoiling the others. Of course this is Anarchy, and you are completely entitled to continue on your line, as I am, to call it bullshit when deserved. So my proposal (I don't want to marry you, eh :D ) is to bury the hatchet and enjoy together the beautiful races to come.

Last edited by a moderator:

winchfodder

Super Anarchist
Carolina, USA
Dalts is focused on successfully defending AC 36

He will be planning what to do if ETNZ wins. He will already have spoken to his sponsors to see what brings them back. I dont think he is looking for $20 million for himself.....it is more the question of funding the entire team in a professional sport.

Listen, if ETNZ wins this one, it will be an amazing triumph. NZ celebrates being the most successful country in the AC post the 12 meter era .

NZ has been in 7 out of the 8 AC cup finals since the 12 meters (excluding DoG matches) . No country comes close. if NZ wins, they will have won it 4 times .  In an event where money is supposed to be one of the deciding factors with a billionaires playground,,,,,,one of the tiniest countries in the world has done exceptional things.

This level of success is going to generate different future directions.
Agreed. In a game populated by billionaires like Koch, Bertarelli, Bertelli, Ellison, Ratcliffe, Tornquist (who he?) etc, the success of the NZ AC teams stand out as the exception.

The reasons I think we can all agree comes down to national pride and sailing and marine engineering talent. They work as team to win on the water, not as individuals looking for cash and glory.

I believe GD's plan, as I think ETNZ will win, will be to make the 37th defence happen as soon as possible in three or even two years. This ensures continuity of employment for his team and maximises the benefits to NZ and Auckland in particular.

This means that he will need to keep the same design, with tweaks, and Auckland as the venue (the team base infrastructure is all in place). 

Changing design and setting up a new offshore venue would take up too much time, losing momentum and creating delays. 

As part of this plan he will want to aim for at least the same number of challengers and probably can expect one or two more. 

So he will be looking for a hip pocket challenge to make COR who sees the same vision. The RYS look interested. Ratcliffe is a bit off the pace with the AC with his ideas to make it some sort of F1 circus with more 'fairness' (read: please give me a chance to win),  but I guess GD knows how to tell him how it is and his ego will prevail. 

If not LR might come back if they win a race or two despite the Tina factor.  

NYYC look a bit flaky as we have not heard one squeak from their three failed billionaires.

GD might even have something in his pocket, you never know.

His real problem will once again be raising cash for his team and the event.

Latest posts