Emirates Team New Zealand.

Paddywackery

Super Anarchist
Ireland
Didn't matter - Ernie always had one up on Larry which he's never lived down.
Not sure I agree but that’s okay. 

I do recall that Ernie didn’t like or want the wing setup and packed his bags when it prevailed. It got nasty and personal, Larry has no time for the blue bloods with inherited money. 

winchfodder

Super Anarchist
Carolina, USA
He did one smart thing which got up Ellison's nose: he hired the core of the TNZ team and won the AC in his first attempt while uncle Larry was still trying and losing in the CSS's :D

Didn't matter - Ernie always had one up on Larry which he's never lived down.
Ernie also beats Larry hands down on the homefront (see below).

Thank heaven we will be back racing in a couple of days and the phony war will be finished.

axmk4Mq4.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Kiwing

Super Anarchist
Bay of Islands
"Signing up Badham was a major coup for the Kiwis – he’d had offers from six of the key players, with the biggest bid from the then second richest man on the planet, Larry Ellison, but chose Team NZ, who offered the least money".

The Key to Team NZ, they are a team.

Indio

Super Anarchist
Auckland
As I have mentioned. ETNZ have never sounded so confident as they are now. They know what LR has and they know what they have 

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/americas-cup/124464932/americas-cup-team-new-zealand-coach-expecting-dingdong-battle-with-luna-rossa?cid=app-iPhone
Ray Davies' comment about huitting 50knts makes it sound like the magical 50knt barrier is now routinely reached , which makes the rumours of 56-60knts a little bit more credible...

“With these types of boats you get a little nervous when you hit that 50 knot mark, but now it’s just standard and once you get comfortable with that, you’re just looking for more and more."

Ncik

Super Anarchist
Aren't those two of the primary qualities of a good CEO?
No doubt, and a significant reason for etnz recent success.

Funny story, and not enough time right now to elaborate, but I was present for a HPYD conference where he gave a keynote speech. Camper was performing badly in the volvo and his very succinct opinion was that if you're hired to design a race boat it better win, because $$$. Everyone in the audience was a designer and silent. Clearly he was under some pressure, but at the end of the day sailing races are competitions, and there can only be one winner, and camper did start improving. 

Paddywackery

Super Anarchist
Ireland
Ray Davies' comment about huitting 50knts makes it sound like the magical 50knt barrier is now routinely reached , which makes the rumours of 56-60knts a little bit more credible...

“With these types of boats you get a little nervous when you hit that 50 knot mark, but now it’s just standard and once you get comfortable with that, you’re just looking for more and more."
Yes, he said it in such an understated way that I too took it as matter of fact that 50 knots plus is no big deal for these boats. 

Last edited by a moderator:

Jandals

Ottawa
I think that is being manifestly unfair to GD.

It is no secret that I think he needs to learn to shut up.

But he has done something with ETNZ that I doubt Blake could and doubt even more he would have bothered.

He clearly engenders a great deal of respect and loyalty among his team.
How is that unfair to Dalts? He's openly admitted he was half the sailor Blake was. What has he done that Blake hasn't? Win an America's Cup? Defend it? I qualified my comments by stating I admire him and he's the best we have. 

For what it's worth, I enjoy his abrasiveness. He doesn't take shit and he let's blokes know it. 

LCS Carbon

Flags
Home
How is that unfair to Dalts? He's openly admitted he was half the sailor Blake was. What has he done that Blake hasn't? Win an America's Cup? Defend it? I qualified my comments by stating I admire him and he's the best we have. 

For what it's worth, I enjoy his abrasiveness. He doesn't take shit and he let's blokes know it. 
I am going to wonder outload, would ETNZ even exist without Dalton? Bonus Question: even if it did exist, would it have nearly the funding required.

Would the team be as well run.

Dalton isn't a Billionaire with a bunch of other interests. He is a passionate credentialed sailor who also has the skills and imagination to, Bring an Americas Cup team back from the dead, Keep the team together and running, Raise the money, Negotiate with arsehole billionaires.

This really is an asinine discussion!

Jandals

Ottawa

jaysper

Super Anarchist
Wellington

"Sir Peter was the master. A leader of men. GD us not even in the same ocean."

This statement was either clearly aimed at his ability to lead, or you need to take a writing course.

Despite all my misgivings about GD, he is clearly an incredibly capable leader and has achieved something that I doubt Blake would have.

Jandals

Ottawa
I am going to wonder outload, would ETNZ even exist without Dalton? Bonus Question: even if it did exist, would it have nearly the funding required.

Would the team be as well run.

Dalton isn't a Billionaire with a bunch of other interests. He is a passionate credentialed sailor who also has the skills and imagination to, Bring an Americas Cup team back from the dead, Keep the team together and running, Raise the money, Negotiate with arsehole billionaires.

This really is an asinine discussion!
There is no other bloke I could imagine taking charge of ETNZ than Dalts. I have no doubt if he wasn't involved we would not be defending the cup in Auckland. 

Jandals

Ottawa
"Sir Peter was the master. A leader of men. GD us not even in the same ocean."

This statement was either clearly aimed at his ability to lead, or you need to take a writing course.

Despite all my misgivings about GD, he is clearly an incredibly capable leader and has achieved something that I doubt Blake would have.
It was a comment regarding the level of esteem Sir Peter Blake holds. You need to take a Xanax. 

Again, what has he achieved that Blake hasn't?