Emirates Team New Zealand.

rh3000

Super Anarchist
Auckland, New Zealand
And that's putting it mildly. It's the big problem with these beautiful boats, few can sail them and they consumer enormous human and financial effort.
Assuming a peppercorn sale, this boat could probably be restored to exhibition condition for under $100k with knowledge, time and materials donated. Sailable, becomes an entirely different prospect - even replacing the lead bulb would be somewhat eyewatering I suspect...

TBH I'm suprised NZ Maritime Museum hasn't had a crack, or ETNZ for that matter. I suspect the latter has their mind on other things atm, and budgets too, perhaps if we retain the cup there will be enough enthusiasm and support to acquire it for the stable.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ex-yachtie

Super Anarchist
Auckland, NZ
Assuming a peppercorn sale, this boat could probably be restored to exhibition condition for under $100k with knowledge, time and materials donated. Sailable, becomes an entirely different prospect - even replacing the lead bulb would be somewhat eyewatering I suspect...

TBH I'm suprised Auckland Maritime Museum hasn't had a crack, or ETNZ for that matter. I suspect the latter has their mind on other things atm, and budgets too, perhaps if we retain the cup there will be enough enthusiasm and support to acquire it for the stable.
Put that bow sprit in a museum? I don’t think so. 

Remember, that boat lost. KZ1 went on display due to novelty factor really. Otherwise we only display winning boats. 

Paddywackery

Super Anarchist
Ireland

TBH I'm suprised Auckland Maritime Museum hasn't had a crack, or ETNZ for that matter. I suspect the latter has their mind on other things atm, and budgets too, perhaps if we retain the cup there will be enough enthusiasm and support to acquire it for the stable.
I agree that ETNZ should rescue it with some public support when more important matters are sorted. 

Paddywackery

Super Anarchist
Ireland

Remember, that boat lost. KZ1 went on display due to novelty factor really. Otherwise we only display winning boats. 
Well, you learn more by losing so maybe there’s a need to remember the brave who lost but paved the way. Yeah, I know, I’m a sentimental old fool  ;)

jaysper

Super Anarchist
Wellington

Even then not always.

NZL38 was a winner in every sense of the word and it is sitting in a warehouse AFAIK.

rh3000

Super Anarchist
Auckland, New Zealand

Oh I think there's room for both a Gallery Of Glory, and perhaps down by the new compounds, the Walk Of What-Ifs? Might help spook the challengers :)