Emirates Team New Zealand.

Xlot

Super Anarchist
Rome
Vallicelli?
Yup, he was 29 at the time, that tells you all. Made me remember when, a few years earlier - he lived on Via Cassia, near me - I lent him my copy of Abbott’s Theory of Wing Sections for his first boat, a half tonner called Ziggurat ...

Last edited by a moderator:

Fiji Bitter

I love Fiji Bitter
In the wild.
Regarding the CIC during the 12 Metre era of the NYYC reign, I can tell you that this was total, 100% of design, build including all materials, sails (incl cloth), winches, rigging, the fucking lot. Tank testing in an other country was somehow allowed and when Ben Lexcen came up with the idea of a wing keel, he went to a Dutch test tank to test and develop the idea. 

After the Americans lost, they tried to get an affidavit from the Dutch co-designers stating their involvement, but they refused to collaborate and the NYYC gave up their case. Ironically years later both of the two Dutch lead designers claimed to be the principal designer, but the original idea was definitely from genius Ben Lexcen, aka Bob Miller.

I remember the whole story very well, and have talked to some of the Aussie team about it, just don't remember where I read it all...  :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Blitzkrieg9

Regarding the CIC during the 12 Metre era of the NYYC reign, I can tell you that this was total, 100% of design, build including all materials, sails (incl cloth), winches, rigging, the fucking lot. Tank testing in an other country was somehow allowed and when Ben Lexcen came up with the idea of a wing keel, he went to a Dutch test tank to test and develop the idea. 

After the Americans lost, they tried to get an affidavit from the Dutch co-designers stating their involvement, but they refused to collaborate and the NYYC gave up their case. Ironically years later both of the two Dutch lead designers claimed to be the principal designer, but the original idea was definitely from genius Ben Lexcen, aka Bob Miller.

I remember the whole story very well, and have talked to some of the Aussie team about it, just don't remember where I read it all...  :)
What is CIC?

Horn Rock

Super Anarchist
Byron Bay
'One Hears' it's $100million to ETNZ.

A match in the Solent/IoW.

ETNZ Win, AC38 in Auckland with ITUK as CoR.

ITUK Win, AC38 in the UK, ETNZ as CoR.

ETNZ just have to sell it to the public and the gummint. Good luck with that.
Interesting......Not without risk for ETNZ, but if they do this in the current boats TR would have to be favourite.

Lots of hand wringing about the proposal....I don't have too much of a problem with it. All these people whinging don't have the reality of a 150 staff wage bill - which would be considerable. Things change, organisations have to be innovative to survive.

The Advocate

Super Anarchist
What, 5 mill a month as operating costs?
Yes, for between cycles. I figure $1-$1.2 mil a month retaining all 150 staff.

I don't disagree that $5 mil won't go far though, that's why I suggested 20.

A non sailing kiwi friend remarked how great it was the government was pitching in, I replied that $5 mil was like pissing into a 144 gallon drum thinking you could fill it.

jaysper

Super Anarchist
Wellington
I'd rather see the team stay together...If it takes a bit of whoring, then so be it. You as much as anyone should understand that......
Me? Understand? Are you suggesting I am attractive enough to sell my body? NICE!

I'm not particularly worried about whoring out the team to the Isle of Wight. Besides, I think it is a negotiation ploy with the Government.

I am however seriously fucked off about trying to entrench the AC75s for 2 cup cycles.

If you remember correctly, a LOT of Kiwis were apoplectic at Oracle when they tried something similar in Bermuda. But this is worse because ETNZ are suggesting that they will reject you entry if you don't sign up for it.

So, if ETNZ push ahead with that then I am happy for them to fold.

The Advocate

Super Anarchist
Me? Understand? Are you suggesting I am attractive enough to sell my body? NICE!

I'm not particularly worried about whoring out the team to the Isle of Wight. Besides, I think it is a negotiation ploy with the Government.

I am however seriously fucked off about trying to entrench the AC75s for 2 cup cycles.

If you remember correctly, a LOT of Kiwis were apoplectic at Oracle when they tried something similar in Bermuda. But this is worse because ETNZ are suggesting that they will reject you entry if you don't sign up for it.

So, if ETNZ push ahead with that then I am happy for them to fold.
You have said this so many times. Maybe people might hear you soon.