Emirates Team New Zealand.

jaysper

Super Anarchist
Wellington
That averages out to around 80k a year per person......Too low I'm thinking.......
Remember that they would retain the sailing crew and the design team.

However, throw on the $3 Million per annum for Dalts, plus the fact that the design and sailing team will be VERY well paid and yeah, too low.

Horn Rock

Super Anarchist
Byron Bay
If the suggestion is that GD has to maintain the team at full strength outside of the Cup cycle, good luck with that.
The curse of being the winning team.........All the guys in the other teams will have cashed their last cheques......not many would still be on retainers...Maybe Ben and a few other top guys.......

Horn Rock

Super Anarchist
Byron Bay
I am however seriously fucked off about trying to entrench the AC75s for 2 cup cycles.
If the DoG event goes ahead, with respect to the other challengers, they're really only trying to lock it in for AC38....to give them some certainty about their existing investments, and planning going forward. AC38 is looking like the next multi challenger event.

jaysper

Super Anarchist
Wellington
If the DoG event goes ahead, with respect to the other challengers, they're really only trying to lock it in for AC38....to give them some certainty about their existing investments, and planning going forward. AC38 is looking like the next multi challenger event.
Well the way they lock it out is to run and win AC37.

If they want to provide certainty then make a statement that they will hold the cup in AC38 if they win AC37.

But don't for the love of fucking god pull this shit where they will bar teams from entry if they don't likewise commit to AC75s.

Navig8tor

Super Anarchist
I think it was Paul Elvstrom that said something like if you loose respect to win, then you've won nothing.

Innovating is an interesting spin.
More accurately:

Paul Elvstrøm

"You haven't won the race, if in winning the race you have lost the respect of your competitors."

Horn Rock

Super Anarchist
Byron Bay
What is not to like,
Considering the circumstances and financial realities of ETNZ, I don't have a problem with the proposed plans.....They better beat the Poms though......I wonder if they'll allow Ben a new set of foils......probably will.......Hard to see Rita beating TR, even on home waters.....

1eyedkiwi

New Zealand
I am however seriously fucked off about trying to entrench the AC75s for 2 cup cycles.

If you remember correctly, a LOT of Kiwis were apoplectic at Oracle when they tried something similar in Bermuda. But this is worse because ETNZ are suggesting that they will reject you entry if you don't sign up for it.

So, if ETNZ push ahead with that then I am happy for them to fold.
Does it really matter?  All teams at AC36 loved the AC75s.  I suspect no other teams will have an issue with it as they know it is a great class.  Quite likely if they get push back from a team wanting to enter they will pull the condition.  It think they've put it in there as they expected everyone will agree. Remember that pre-Bermuda noone had any real idea whether the boats would work or not.  Also, more importantly they were asking teams to agree to not only the class of boat but how the competitions would run (frequency etc) - I can't remember the details but it was pretty comprehensive and would have taken the AC away from what it is. This time round all competing teams said they wanted the class to return and they are only asking them to commit to the class of boat.

I agree that it is strange to make it a condition and that it's in breach of the DoG... but for it to make you want ETNZ fold... an overreaction maybe?

Last edited by a moderator:

jaysper

Super Anarchist
Wellington
Does it really matter?  All teams at AC36 loved the AC75s.  I suspect no other teams will have an issue with it as they know it is a great class.  Quite likely if they get push back from a team wanting to enter they will pull the condition.  It think they've put it in there as they expected everyone will agree. Remember that pre-Bermuda noone had any real idea whether the boats would work or not.  Also, more importantly they were asking teams to agree to not only the class of boat but how the competitions would run (frequency etc) - I can't remember the details but it was pretty comprehensive and would have taken the AC away from what it is. This time round all competing teams said they wanted the class to return and they are only asking them to commit to the class of boat.

I agree that it is strange to make it a condition and that it's in breach of the DoG... but for it to make you want ETNZ fold... an overreaction maybe?
I suspect the teams will be happy to have the AC75s and despite generally disliking them, I acknowledge continuity is a good thing.

But barring entry to the AC based on acceptance of terms that you have precisely ZERO right to impose is incredibly Bertarelli-esque and I won't support it.

Latest posts