Emirates Team New Zealand.

dg_sailingfan

Super Anarchist
Augsburg
Regarding Sponsorship:

On the flip side of things with PRADA being "Naming Rights Partner for AC36", the PRADA CUP and Patrizio having his own Team "Luna Rossa Prada Pirelli" in CSS it did create a huge "Conflict of Interest" during this entire AC36 Cycle hence all the Legal Wranglings and Arb. Panel Rulings over the course of the last 3 years but especially over the last 3 to 6 months.

This is what Ben Ainslie & INEOS were very fearful of when the AC36 Protocol was published and Louis Vuitton got dumped for PRADA!

45Roller

Super Anarchist
Ireland
Regarding Sponsorship:

On the flip side of things with PRADA being "Naming Rights Partner for AC36", the PRADA CUP and Patrizio having his own Team "Luna Rossa Prada Pirelli" in CSS it did create a huge "Conflict of Interest" during this entire AC36 Cycle hence all the Legal Wranglings and Arb. Panel Rulings over the course of the last 3 years but especially over the last 3 to 6 months.

This is what Ben Ainslie & INEOS were very fearful of when the AC36 Protocol was published and Louis Vuitton got dumped for PRADA!
Is the Prada Cup still a thing? Or will there be a new (insert luxury goods brand here) Cup? 

dg_sailingfan

Super Anarchist
Augsburg
Having an "Independent Single Event Authority" like ETNZ & INEOS promised to do in their COR Announcement Press Release for AC37 much like 2007 is probably the best for all Parties involved IMO!

Blitzkrieg9

I don’t think we need to be feeling sorry for billionaires do we? 
No, but if your company spends millions of dollars to sponsor an event because nobody else will, and then you get shat on by the organization running the event... how likely are you to sponsor again?  

strider470

Super Anarchist
Regarding Sponsorship:

Now with Ineos naming sponsor and both COR and Defender funding I'm sure it will be much better :D

marlowe

Anarchist
all at sea
Your losing site of the sailors - who displayed great sportsmanship and mutual respect.  Of course the non-sailors/non-competitors behavior is not perfect.
Fair enough. I'm sure there is respect between the sailors but they're not the ones cutting the deals. The AC is winner takes all and often there is little love lost between defender and challenger.

Blitzkrieg9

Having an "Independent Single Event Authority" like ETNZ & INEOS promised to do in their COR Announcement Press Release for AC37 much like 2007 is probably the best for all Parties involved IMO!
You are conflating two separate things. Prada sponsoring the CSS because nobody else would is not the problem. Never was. 

The problem is that ETNZ and ACE were for all intents and purposes the same organization. THAT is the conflict of interest. THAT is to be avoided in future. 

dg_sailingfan

Super Anarchist
Augsburg
Arb Panel Rulings during the entire AC36 Cycle

http://noticeboard.acofficials.org/arbitration-panel

Look at all those Rulings (Most of them involved ETNZ & COR36/LRPP). The Italians played "Dirty" the whole way because they knew that they could not win on the water. Probably one of the Main Reasons they got dumped by ETNZ as CoR. Russell Green, the Legal Advisor of ETNZ must have grown tired of all the Legal Challenges COR36/LRPP put forward every time they disagreed with ETNZ!

cbulger

Newport
Fair enough. I'm sure there is respect between the sailors but they're not the ones cutting the deals. The AC is winner takes all and often there is little love lost between defender and challenger.
True.  But I don't think Elvstrom was talking about bickering billionaires and Commodores.  DoG was not designed to produce a fair and democratic playing field, how do you think we got a 137 year winning streak?

marlowe

Anarchist
all at sea
The announcement reads:

"A single Event Authority will be appointed to be responsible for the conduct of all racing and the management of commercial activities relating to AC37."

I don't see where it says independent. It could just mean ACE (aka Dalton) overseas everything; CCS, the match, commercial activities, etc..

marlowe

Anarchist
all at sea
True.  But I don't think Elvstrom was talking about bickering billionaires and Commodores.  DoG was not designed to produce a fair and democratic playing field, how do you think we got a 137 year winning streak?
We agree, and that's why I wrote "The Cup says otherwise". :)