Emirates Team New Zealand.

Gissie

Super Anarchist
Speaking of local politics....I grew up knowing a kid called Greg Sayers......he went on to become a Councillor with Rodney Council...How did he go? Was he any good?
No idea, Rodney is far to close to Auckland to be of any interest to me. However a quick Google brought up this little gem, he has    'an organisational cultural change company' I would guess he is just a spiv trying to sound good, selling snake oil to the corporations and bullshit to the voters.

Two dicks, one cup holder.

Screenshot_20210327-095703_Chrome.jpg

jaysper

Super Anarchist
Wellington
I was TRG. I got baptised in the holy spirit and lived again through the forgiveness and love of the internet. Now my sock is older than the hand that was amputated. 

We won the AC. 
Nah, sorry  unless you've had a lobotomy I don't buy it.

You are a poor facsimile of the obnoxious yet creative TRG.

Xlot

Super Anarchist
Rome
As the regatta desperately looks to get more teams involved by cutting costs and limiting teams to one boat, Bernasconi felt newcomers could be competitive
Particularly if/when said newcomers  make Bernasconi and Verdier offers they can’t refuse. Nothing GD can do about that, and I’ll gloat when that happens

Stingray~

Super Anarchist
PNW
Particularly if/when said newcomers  make Bernasconi and Verdier offers they can’t refuse. Nothing GD can do about that, and I’ll gloat when that happens
That would be interesting for sure. Can you imagine what  Bernasconi et al could do, with ‘ultimate’ compute systems at their disposal?

I haven’t seen recent interviews from Fischer, Holroyd or Bartin but am curious where they stand too. 

jaysper

Super Anarchist
Wellington
That would be interesting for sure. Can you imagine what  Bernasconi et al could do, with ‘ultimate’ compute systems at their disposal?
I don't think ETNZ are short of any computing power. If they were, I can't imagine they could have won and then defended the cup.

Stingray~

Super Anarchist
PNW
I don't think ETNZ are short of any computing power. If they were, I can't imagine they could have won and then defended the cup.
Yep, could be true but the cycles they rent on AWS is likely very expensive, it’s a case of ‘the more the better.’ 

Stingray~

Super Anarchist
PNW
I think Bernasconi is very happy to remain in NZ. He likes staying there and the team as well
There is a recent vid where he got asked about if he had offers and he did not rule out leaving but did shake his head say something like ‘I think they realize how happy I am here.’

jaysper

Super Anarchist
Wellington
Yep, could be true but the cycles they rent on AWS is likely very expensive, it’s a case of ‘the more the better.’ 
More is better if you can use them.

I don't believe for a minute that they were short on computing power otherwise they simply wouldn't have won.

Stingray~

Super Anarchist
PNW
More is better if you can use them.

I don't believe for a minute that they were short on computing power otherwise they simply wouldn't have won.
Using AWS the right way is for sure important, I think Holroyd addressed that too in the two epic ‘4 designers’ podcasts Shirley R did back-when. 

Bernasconi would be all the more valuable if he could use, and upgrade, whatever tool sets he is using; maybe some key designers around him too. Would not come cheap! 

Last edited by a moderator:

Stingray~

Super Anarchist
PNW
But my point is that I don't buy the idea that somehow Etnz is making do with much less than the other teams.
Sure, hard to say. They did have Dell as a sponsor in a recent AC, maybe they do heavily value the design technology focus really well. 

My suggestion was that a $Bazzionaire would be smart to hire a lot of that design team, IF they did not prefer the challenge of cooking up a recipe as good or better.  

Xlot

Super Anarchist
Rome
GD is working on another funding model that does NOT include Govt money. This is not a case of the Govt reluctant to give TNZ money. It is a case of TNZ not wanting Govt money or any Govt involvement in AC37. (ps. we should be discussing this in the TNZ thread!)
And after he does, I’m waiting for the how to get rich quick book  :D