Emirates Team New Zealand.

Tornado-Cat

Super Anarchist
Yes, we knew that Tim Clark, president of Emirates Airlines was to go and that TNZ would probably lose their sponsor. So Dalton is winning the Cup but in a very unconfortable place to have to defend without the money yet.

So what are his opportunities ? Racing around Isle of Wight against a good amount of money from Ratcliffe, but he looks like he doesn't want to pay for it. Try to pressure the NZ government to pay another time ? Try to find a new sponsor ?

Yes, we knew that Tim Clark, president of Emirates Airlines was to go and that TNZ would probably lose their sponsor. So Dalton is winning the Cup but in a very unconfortable place to have to defend without the money yet.

So what are his opportunities ? Racing around Isle of Wight against a good amount of money from Ratcliffe, but he looks like he doesn't want to pay for it. Try to pressure the NZ government to pay another time ? Try to find a new sponsor ?
I think Ratcliffe would be happy to sponsor racing around isle of wight, or at least make sure the costs of hosting are covered  and he wants TNZ to be a well funded defense . BUT (and its a big but) he is extremely wary of  any optics of being seen to "buy" the cup, so the amount of money that flows from an Isle of Wight event to TNZ will be limited .  This is not because Ineos cannot afford to be generous but because Ineos does not want to buy the cup.   Ratcliffe wants his team to demonstrate that they won the cup on the water....or its not worth winning at all.

If TNZ is not well funded for the next cup then its a problem for all the challengers because none of them want to beat a decimated Team New Zealand. 

GD will hopefully find the money and I suspect that will determine decisions of where and how to host the defense. ratcliffe has made it clear that the decision rests with NZ.

Gissie

Super Anarchist
- because none of them want to beat a decimated Team New Zealand. 
Yeah, right. Maybe they will make some noises publicly, but they will be happy to take the win and rejoice. If your opposition sets up expensive, high tech rules then can't follow through, who gives a toss.

The way the team is and has behaved recently there will likely be some celebrations behind closed doors.

Tornado-Cat

Super Anarchist
I think Ratcliffe would be happy to sponsor racing around isle of wight, or at least make sure the costs of hosting are covered  and he wants TNZ to be a well funded defense . BUT (and its a big but) he is extremely wary of  any optics of being seen to "buy" the cup, so the amount of money that flows from an Isle of Wight event to TNZ will be limited .  This is not because Ineos cannot afford to be generous but because Ineos does not want to buy the cup.   Ratcliffe wants his team to demonstrate that they won the cup on the water....or its not worth winning at all.

If TNZ is not well funded for the next cup then its a problem for all the challengers because none of them want to beat a decimated Team New Zealand. 

GD will hopefully find the money and I suspect that will determine decisions of where and how to host the defense. ratcliffe has made it clear that the decision rests with NZ.
I understand that Ratcliffe does not want to look like buying the cup but it's the AC and I am sure any challenger will try to use the opportunity to get the cup.

BTW, I wonder if Dalton doesn't want to lose the Cup to UK next year rather than trying to survive painfully during 3 years without money. I am sure he already knows who he could be working for. Well,............... Ratcliffe ?

Hemi

SF
Silver lining to losing Emirates as a sponsor - we can also lose the ugly red paint job and go black to more menacing black and silver!

Stingray~

Super Anarchist
PNW
This is the same guy these pages spent considerable time writing off as a rambling old fool, right?
Well.. you do have to wonder why he matters at all :)  

He had some kind of ceremonial role at LR and in the media center but with Prada out as CoR, who on earth’s behalf can he try to speak with any authority for, now? 

He says he spoke to Dalts but it could have been just a listen-in on a party-conference call, who knows.. 

Last edited by a moderator:

coercivity

Auckland
The logic says that Air NZ should be the funding vector. the facilities are built this is about just the team really.

Covid is receding do we think Air NZ needs a plan for the future throwing 100s of millions into tourism marketing would be better spent on a massive marketing story. TANZ.

And as an aside make each team sell their boat/boats to new teams and allow only one new build for an AC in 2 years with a world series in each competitors country if wanted.

that would include Cowes lake Genève, New York,  etc.