Emirates Team New Zealand.

strider470

Super Anarchist
Name me a billionaire who chose to "win on the water" by waiting to go thru CSS when he (no shes realistically to date) had the chance to "win on the water" by going directly to an AC match against the Defender? A team? 
Here you are. Bertelli didn't even thought of a 1 - 1 match when became COR, and in 2017 he was in a position to easily ask for that if he wanted, considering the huge help given to ETNZ.

dullers

Super Anarchist
Englandshire
I think this was one of the main reasons USA held on to the cup for so long.  A number of quality teams honing their skills and increasing their boat speed with the fastest defending the Cup.  Without a defender series, a defender is at a massive disadvantage of lack of racing  which is why Oracle joined in on the challenger series in Bermuda.  I am sure whatever format is decided on, ETNZ will have a lot more pre-Cup racing this time.
I think many were won by the US because the challengers had to sail across the Atlantic to challenge.

Stingray~

Super Anarchist
PNW
If Matteo (who seems to be the owner of ETNZ) can’t or won’t fund a proper Defense then GD needs to find a bigger $Billionaire. 

Priscilla

Super Anarchist
If Matteo (who seems to be the owner of ETNZ) can’t or won’t fund a proper Defense then GD needs to find a bigger $Billionaire. 
Gabe Newell net worth $5.5B.

FEF6B615-2DB3-41B0-9AEA-32EF81CB7F56.jpeg

https://www.tvnz.co.nz/one-news/sport/american-tech-billionaire-gabe-newell-throws-support-behind-team-new-zealand

Billionaires are over rated.
Only if the kiwi Government pays out social welfare to TNZ.

The Motor Neurone Disease Association of NZ  and Starship Children’s Hospital wouldn’t agree with you at all Four about billionaires being over rated.

https://emirates-team-new-zealand.americascup.com/en/news/500_The-Heart-of-Racing-Sponsors-Emirates-Team-New-Zealand.html

Last edited by a moderator:

Forourselves

Super Anarchist
New Zealand
Gabe Newell net worth $5.5B.

View attachment 437714

https://www.tvnz.co.nz/one-news/sport/american-tech-billionaire-gabe-newell-throws-support-behind-team-new-zealand

Only if the kiwi Government pays out social welfare to TNZ.

The Motor Neurone Disease Association of NZ  and Starship Children’s Hospital wouldn’t agree with you at all Four about billionaires being over rated.

https://emirates-team-new-zealand.americascup.com/en/news/500_The-Heart-of-Racing-Sponsors-Emirates-Team-New-Zealand.html
Depends how long that sponsorship contract lasts. 

accnick

Super Anarchist
Will Ratcliffe fund the Challenger Selection Series in 2024 just like PRADA did with the PRADA CUP this year?
The CSS was funded by a combination  of fees paid by the Title Sponsor (Prada), and entry  fees paid by each Challenger.

Almost 75% of the Challenger entry fees went to help underwrite the CSS. in addition, all the Challengers were bound by this clause in the Protocol:

"7.9. As well as the amounts referred to in Clauses 7.5a) and 7.6a) the Challengers shall share equally all further costs of the Preliminary Regattas, the CSS and other activities of the Challengers as a group associated with the challenge for the 36th America’s Cup. Such costs may be offset from money raised from commercial activities. Any calls on Challengers to contribute funds to assist with meeting such costs may be required at such time and in such amount as is determined by COR and approved by RNZYS (such approval not to be unreasonably withheld). See Protocol Amendment 03."

There was no "free ride" for the Challengers when it came to participation in the CSS, just because there was a Title Sponsor.

Sea Breeze 74

Anarchist
NZL
I always try and support ETNZ sponsors where I can which was far from a hardship with Steinlager. Funnily, the family thought I was consuming a lot of coke this summer.

Steiny.jpg

Good in their day. Much rather see foiling, OD International Moth at the Olympics, personally.
Great class. As the video says , it is a legend....legendary like the Flying Dutchman and the Dragon.  The class which gave us Paul Elvstrom, Ben Ainslie , Russell Coutts, Freddy Loof, John Bertrand, Valentin Mankin etc etc.......but I tend to agree with SBD, it is part of sailing history not the future.  

Latest posts