Emirates Team New Zealand.

Gissie

Super Anarchist
Speaking of retainers.

Emirates Team NZ building hydrogen powered chase boats for Cup Defence (sail-world.com)

Makes one wonder how much AC defense funding was/is being spent on marine industry commercial endeavors......  Hopefully the NZ govt and taxpayers can recoup their investment if/when these are sold.

Maybe >200M really isn't enough for all defense costs...
Love the 'green' hydrogen bullshit. We are importing more than 1 million tonnes of shitty coal from Indonesia to generate electricity. The very electricity that will generate the hydrogen for the green boat to burn.

Maybe this is the real reason to go offshore, find a country that can supply hydrogen that doesn't need coal to supply it. :lol:

Forourselves

Super Anarchist
New Zealand
So Dalts cried poor me, we need cash to keep the team together. Got some.

Designers, foreign, went on retainer to keep them.

Sailors unable to move due to nationality rules, so no retainer for them.

Not enough money to run a team where all the staff will do it for just the honour of working for the best team ever, so auction it off for money not needed.

Yeah right.
It is what it is. No one is “crying poor”. If they were poor, theyd be desperate. If they were desperate, they would have accepted the Govt offer. They didnt. 
Contracts expire when the cycle ends. Critical members (design team) are kept on retainer to avoid them being poached by other teams. 

Gissie

Super Anarchist
It is what it is. No one is “crying poor”. If they were poor, theyd be desperate. If they were desperate, they would have accepted the Govt offer. They didnt. 
Contracts expire when the cycle ends. Critical members (design team) are kept on retainer to avoid them being poached by other teams. 
You have that the wrong way round. If they weren't desperate they would have accepted the government off.

barfy

Super Anarchist
Speaking of retainers.

Emirates Team NZ building hydrogen powered chase boats for Cup Defence (sail-world.com)

Makes one wonder how much AC defense funding was/is being spent on marine industry commercial endeavors......  Hopefully the NZ govt and taxpayers can recoup their investment if/when these are sold.

Seems a bit of money getting behind the hydrogen production... 

Heaps of "free" electricity once that aluminium smelter stops getting prop ups and closes.

Contact and Meridian seek partners to investigate world's largest green hydrogen plant

Gissie

Super Anarchist
Speaking of retainers.

No shit. What about all the small players that supported ETNZ to win the AC? I think they would be pretty pissed that the stuff given free for the AC is now being used for other commercial endeavours. It's not just the local and central Government that'll be looking at Dalts and wondering WTF is going on over there. 

Bank on this, New Zealand will turn it's back on this team very fast if Dalts takes the circus offshore. I doubt many would approve of the name 'Emirates Team New Zealand' being used either. 

The whole team would be seen as just another bunch of cunts that sold out to the dollar and turned their back on the country that paid and supported them to the lofty level they now enjoy. 

Professional sport arguments aside, how the fuck is it a New Zealand team if they're based in Timbuktu with all but a few base and sail crew actually having been born in Godzone?

FFS Dalts, open your eyes and stop being such a greedy little cunt. 

The Board should act and kick the old prick to the curb. 

Fuck it. 

chesirecat

Super Anarchist
Shoebox on M'way

JALhazmat

Super Anarchist
Southampton
There is a big difference between INEOS supporting the chase boat fuckery And that INEOS  happen to be one of the largest producers of hydrogen as a byproduct of one of their engineering plants. 

If they’re doing anything with the hydrogen excess it’ll be going in their vehicles and their partnership with Kia automotive not some kiwi vanity project.  

Gissie

Super Anarchist
Bank on this, New Zealand will turn it's back on this team very fast if Dalts takes the circus offshore. I doubt many would approve of the name 'Emirates Team New Zealand' being used either.
^ This. I think Dalts etc are misjudging Kiwis if he thinks they will continue to support a team that turns down 99 million to run a regatta. I think the result of him leaving will make the cry of traitor to Coutts and gang seem like a playground spat.

Forourselves

Super Anarchist
New Zealand
I think Dalts knows the NZ public. The public ALWAYS, ALWAYS turns its back on Team NZ every cycle, but that only lasts as long as the quiet period in between racing. If the boats and teams were racing now, the NZ public wouldn't be as frosty as they are toward the team. The problem is, the AC goes quiet after every cycle finishes, and that opens up the opportunity for the media and certain public groups to air their dirty laundry and appeal to the same group of people that come out of the woodwork every few years when there's no racing to watch. That all goes away when the racing starts. For about a month or 2, that rhetoric is replaced by "TEAM NZ". It happens all the time. Dalts has been through it many times, and it happens the same way every time. In the 2 or so years in between racing cycles, Team NZ is public enemy no.1. But as soon as the racing starts, the country gets behind the team.

Hell, even after they took 36 mil of Government contribution, then gave up an 8-1 lead and lost, they got this:

This cycle will be no different. Its the way NZ is.

Dalts knows this.

The haters club is in full flight now, like they are every cycle, but In 3 years time, this entire situation will be a distant memory.

Last edited by a moderator:

Gissie

Super Anarchist
The NZ public has never turned its back on ETNZ. Does it almost forget about them, certainly, just like SA AC goes quiet. For several years there is nothing going on that is of interest to most people. It is once the first boat gets launched, then supporters rouse themselves and start taking an interest.

Then the media get involved, which wakes up those that really only want to see the racing. This is the majority of the NZ supporters,but they support the team because of promises made. This is either we will win and bring the cup home, or we will defend and keep the cup in NZ.

Neither of those promises are being made, in fact on of them is being broken. I know there are some hard core fans that believe it will make no difference, I disagree. Kiwis feel the team is leaving for a higher paypacket. That after the country has supported them through good and bad, we are told to fuck off for not giving them shit loads of money. That we should believe their bullshit promises, bend over, grasp the ankles and let Dalts fuck us senseless. 

I have found none that think it a good move. None that think they should keep the name once gone. None that will support them in the future. Most will support Prada if they compete. The world has changed somewhat due to this virus. NZ has problems that people are wanting dealt with, giving in to the avaricious demand of a professional sports team is not on the agenda. Had he accepted the 99 mill graciously, there would have been some moaning, but general acceptance. Turning it down, with a demand off 200 Mill, has come across as spoilt and demanding. Dalts has got it wrong.

Gissie

Super Anarchist
Until the inevitable Defence failure - then the usual ignominy and accompanying moaning and bitching.
The money was meant to cover the cost of running the event, not team costs. So in theory it should have made no real difference to their ability to defend.

But, yes, likely a bit of bitching and moaning. Then, like last time they lost, the public would be behind them to give it another shot.

Now, only the very few like yourself, will give a flying fuck about them. Win or lose, no fucks given.

pusslicker

Super Anarchist
Paris
The NZ public has never turned its back on ETNZ. Does it almost forget about them, certainly, just like SA AC goes quiet. For several years there is nothing going on that is of interest to most people. It is once the first boat gets launched, then supporters rouse themselves and start taking an interest.

Then the media get involved, which wakes up those that really only want to see the racing. This is the majority of the NZ supporters,but they support the team because of promises made. This is either we will win and bring the cup home, or we will defend and keep the cup in NZ.

Neither of those promises are being made, in fact on of them is being broken. I know there are some hard core fans that believe it will make no difference, I disagree. Kiwis feel the team is leaving for a higher paypacket. That after the country has supported them through good and bad, we are told to fuck off for not giving them shit loads of money. That we should believe their bullshit promises, bend over, grasp the ankles and let Dalts fuck us senseless. 

I have found none that think it a good move. None that think they should keep the name once gone. None that will support them in the future. Most will support Prada if they compete. The world has changed somewhat due to this virus. NZ has problems that people are wanting dealt with, giving in to the avaricious demand of a professional sports team is not on the agenda. Had he accepted the 99 mill graciously, there would have been some moaning, but general acceptance. Turning it down, with a demand off 200 Mill, has come across as spoilt and demanding. Dalts has got it wrong.
Actually you've been told to fuck off after offering shit loads of money. Still can't understand how they can't run a couple week long 30 race regatta on a 100 mill.

Stingray~

Super Anarchist
PNW
Actually you've been told to fuck off after offering shit loads of money. Still can't understand how they can't run a couple week long 30 race regatta on a 100 mill.
Someone made the point above somewhere, that ETNZ has a history of showing up only shortly before the regatta in whatever venue. That was certainly true of both SF and Bermuda. It makes me wonder if they will dictate in the AC37 Protocol that teams (and which ones..) will be required to spend a bunch of months or years in whatever the next venue is, as part of the money-making deal. Would be a touch hypocritical.. 

Gissie

Super Anarchist
Someone made the point above somewhere, that ETNZ has a history of showing up only shortly before the regatta in whatever venue. That was certainly true of both SF and Bermuda. It makes me wonder if they will dictate in the AC37 Protocol that teams (and which ones..) will be required to spend a bunch of months or years in whatever the next venue is, as part of the money-making deal. Would be a touch hypocritical.. 
Hypocritical is what they do best.