Emirates Team New Zealand.

NeedAClew

Super Anarchist
USA
It always was everyone's only option. Some had a happy normal time more or less until it was time to vax. Maybe they dawdled a bit too much. 

Think what would have happened if the vaccines were not here before Delta. 

barfy

Super Anarchist
It always was everyone's only option. Some had a happy normal time more or less until it was time to vax. Maybe they dawdled a bit too much. 

Think what would have happened if the vaccines were not here before Delta. 
This is a true story I think. In a quickly developing science tale the numbers from nz detailing the efficacy of the Pfizer shot on icu, hospital, and infections are heartening. NZ probably has the best handle on actual infection numbers in the world due to low numbers and genome sequencing. 

I for one was pretty worried at the numbers coming out of other countries with the latest variant.

Please join me in a sigh of relief, and let's hope that the good god chaos doesn't serve us another variant before the treatment regime really kicks in.

I drove past the ETNZ base yesterday. I looked at the achievement in a different way for the first time. This isn't a New Zealand team now for me. Looking offshore to host has put my mindset in a different place. Perhaps, it's the place it always was in reality, a business not a national team. The marketing worked on me because, as it turns out, this is just another venture to grab money and power with a thin veneer of sport over the top. I'm on the edge of whether or not to class Dalts in the same boat as RC and BB. It's close, he's on the gunnel.

floater

Super Duper Anarchist
quivira regnum
I drove past the ETNZ base yesterday. I looked at the achievement in a different way for the first time. This isn't a New Zealand team now for me. Looking offshore to host has put my mindset in a different place. Perhaps, it's the place it always was in reality, a business not a national team. The marketing worked on me because, as it turns out, this is just another venture to grab money and power with a thin veneer of sport over the top. I'm on the edge of whether or not to class Dalts in the same boat as RC and BB. It's close, he's on the gunnel.
I recall being surrounded by dozens of Kiwis watching race 9 in SF - Dicko (and I believe his family) were there too - sitting in front of the big screen just like the rest of us. The place was literally packed with New Zealanders - who were all relaxed and having a good time. And I had the same impression of Oracle you express here - meh, to Larry its just a business and because I admired TNZ I thought it would be fine whoever won the race. However, I surprised myself by shouting "shit!" and storming off when Aotearoa got the gun. I didn't think I cared, but I did, somehow.

So, my thought is, if ETNZ (who have already fucked up their name, right?) manage to defend at home most folks will be with them. Its just human nature. But if they depart for overseas. Then yeah, fuck those guys!

Last edited by a moderator:

Sailbydate

Super Anarchist
Kohimarama
The quantum world Vs general relativity. What a bitch life can be. ;-)

pusslicker

Super Anarchist
Paris
Or you could not vilify RC and BB. They went from the bush league to the big time and you guys should be proud of that. Instead you treat them like pariah's in their own country. GD isn't quite in their league and never will be.

sailman

Super Anarchist
Portsmouth, RI
Or you could not vilify RC and BB. They went from the bush league to the big time and you guys should be proud of that. Instead you treat them like pariah's in their own country. GD isn't quite in their league and never will be.
It would depend on your perspective.  On one hand if you view the team as truly a national (or at least YC) team then they are pariahs.  If on the other hand you view the team as a business then they were successful in their marketing and branding. 
I support the nations concept of the AC, the recent trend of the YC being a shell corporation for a Corporate entity to use the AC brand as a piggy bank is abhorrent to Schuyler’s Deed of Gift.

Gissie

Super Anarchist
I put Dalts as worse. RC, BB etc got a good offer and took it. Did it affect the team, of course.

Dalts is selling the eveny to the highest bidder without a tear in his eye. He is most likely destroying the team forever.

SimonN

Super Anarchist
Sydney ex London
It would depend on your perspective.  On one hand if you view the team as truly a national (or at least YC) team then they are pariahs.  If on the other hand you view the team as a business then they were successful in their marketing and branding. 
I support the nations concept of the AC, the recent trend of the YC being a shell corporation for a Corporate entity to use the AC brand as a piggy bank is abhorrent to Schuyler’s Deed of Gift.
You seem to view the past history of the AC through some fairly distorted, rose tinted glasses. While the NYYC might have had lofty ideals, much of the history of the AC has rich businessmen using the Cup to enhance their position and that of their company's. Consider, for example, Lipton's challenges. Those were about selling tea ands promoting his grocery stores, and elevating his position in society. He found a club who would support his challenge (Royal Yacht Squadron denied him entry until just before his death). Due to his challenges, he sold lots of tea in the USA and became friends with the King. That's just one example. And of course, during that era the sailors were rarely from the country the boat was representing. Schuyler would have laughed hard at the idea of placing nationality restrictions on the people who sailed the boats.

Forourselves

Super Anarchist
New Zealand
You seem to view the past history of the AC through some fairly distorted, rose tinted glasses. While the NYYC might have had lofty ideals, much of the history of the AC has rich businessmen using the Cup to enhance their position and that of their company's. Consider, for example, Lipton's challenges. Those were about selling tea ands promoting his grocery stores, and elevating his position in society. He found a club who would support his challenge (Royal Yacht Squadron denied him entry until just before his death). Due to his challenges, he sold lots of tea in the USA and became friends with the King. That's just one example. And of course, during that era the sailors were rarely from the country the boat was representing. Schuyler would have laughed hard at the idea of placing nationality restrictions on the people who sailed the boats.
Australia II changed all that.

Australia II was very much a National team and was perceived that way in Australia. Australia II ended the Lipton/ billionaire businessman era of the AC.

sunseeker

Super Anarchist
Ended the era of billionaires?  Larry, Ernesto etc not billionaires ? 
He also forget about the  fracker, Bertelli and Turnquist. Besides, Alan Bond may not have been a billionaire, but he most certainly used the AC to promote the Cup, and the sails were of Kiwi design.

sailman

Super Anarchist
Portsmouth, RI
You can cherry pick your examples.  To be more specific, I will reference the post WWII era.  Pre WWII had some similarities to today but Lipton was promoting his business while campaigning.  The success of Lipton tea was a side benefit not the purpose.  Dalton and crew have reversed that philosophy.

barfy

Super Anarchist
You can cherry pick your examples.  To be more specific, I will reference the post WWII era.  Pre WWII had some similarities to today but Lipton was promoting his business while campaigning.  The success of Lipton tea was a side benefit not the purpose.  Dalton and crew have reversed that philosophy.
So ratty isn't green washing his business?

Latest posts