Emirates Team New Zealand.

enigmatically2

Super Anarchist
Earth
Do you really think Grant Dalton, Kevin Shoebridge, Russell Green & Co. care about if a case is been brought or not? They are all 3 confident that ETNZ/RNZYS can win otherwise they would have accepted an offer from Farmer for mediation already.
If they don't then they are a lot more stupid than I think they are. Plenty of people have lost cases they were very confident of winning. There is always some doubt. It's why the best barristers can charge so much

atwinda

Anarchist
Do you really think Grant Dalton, Kevin Shoebridge, Russell Green & Co. care about if a case is been brought or not? They are all 3 confident that ETNZ/RNZYS can win otherwise they would have accepted an offer from Farmer for mediation already.
What part of my post gave you some indication that I thought ETNZ/RNZYS where in danger? Because I don't think anyone has a case, and that's interesting because it means people are just wasting time and resources, as I stated.

dg_sailingfan

Super Anarchist
Augsburg
If they don't then they are a lot more stupid than I think they are. Plenty of people have lost cases they were very confident of winning. There is always some doubt. It's why the best barristers can charge so much
You do realize that a case can only be brought if the Venue is actually being announced. ETNZ/RNZYS haven't even announced the Venue so all this speculation about sueing/court cases is "MOOT" in my opinion until we have a Venue Announcement. Consistently threatening Dalton & ETNZ with it doesn't help.

You do realize that a case can only be brought if the Venue is actually being announced. ETNZ/RNZYS haven't even announced the Venue so all this speculation about sueing/court cases is "MOOT" in my opinion until we have a Venue Announcement. Consistently threatening Dalton & ETNZ with it doesn't help.
It does help those who want it held in Auckland.  If you are sitting in Cork or Malaga and doing your homework before you approve govt funding of $120M and you see all the angst and lawsuit threats you may be a wee-bit hesitant to vote "yes" in spending $120M taxpayer money on this event.

Even though Malaga has €45M approved and are seeking out two large €15M sponsors like Bank of Santander, Iberia, Vodaphone, Telefonica, or Mapfre you still have to wonder - is it worth it.

atwinda

Anarchist
Actually, I don't believe that's true. In the scenario I mentioned early, I think the only approach is go after RNZYS for not fulfilling it's duty as trustee. In theory, if RNZYS withhold announcing a venue within some reasonable date, that could be grounds for not fulfilling that duty.

More to your point though, It's unlikely that a case would be brought before the venue was officially announced unless the party bringing the case had concrete evidence of the venue selection, as I would imagine it's the only basis of their argument. Again, which I think will get squashed as the Defender and Challenger have mutually agreed to the venue.

dg_sailingfan

Super Anarchist
Augsburg
Actually, I don't believe that's true. In the scenario I mentioned early, I think the only approach is go after RNZYS for not fulfilling it's duty as trustee. In theory, if RNZYS withhold announcing a venue within some reasonable date, that could be grounds for not fulfilling that duty.

More to your point though, It's unlikely that a case would be brought before the venue was officially announced unless the party bringing the case had concrete evidence of the venue selection, as I would imagine it's the only basis of their argument. Again, which I think will get squashed as the Defender and Challenger have mutually agreed to the venue.
What do you mean by that? ETNZ said in the Protocol the Venue will be announced by March 31st 2022 if not earlier.

The Sept. 17th 2021 was basically a non-binding Deadline any the NYYC made such a big fuss out of it while the March 31st Deadline looks like will be a binding one.

Stingray~

Super Anarchist
PNW
Even though Malaga has €45M approved and are seeking out two large €15M sponsors like Bank of Santander, Iberia, Vodaphone, Telefonica, or Mapfre you still have to wonder - is it worth it.
In your estimation is that E45M from private/business money, or is it (somehow, would surprise me) local/regional/national govt/taxpayer money? Those company names you listed are all familiar to me from various aspects of AC32 in Valencia, I guess a degree of support from some of them is plausible.

But given the economic hurt in Spain the concept of putting govt resources to a yacht race sounds a touch implausible; and it being an actual democracy you'd think money-strings politicians would be weighing in if this is a real subject, in one way or the other, none of which we have seen from in hot-politics Spain.

Even in Ireland, a few Cork city council members seem to want the event there but the national politicians are avoiding it like it's yet-another plague! 

Last edited by a moderator:

atwinda

Anarchist
What do you mean by that? ETNZ said in the Protocol the Venue will be announced by March 31st 2022 if not earlier.

The Sept. 17th 2021 was basically a non-binding Deadline any the NYYC made such a big fuss out of it while the March 31st Deadline looks like will be a binding one.
You have very low reading comprehension. You said this:

You do realize that a case can only be brought if the Venue is actually being announced.
I mentioned a hypothetical path for someone to bring a case without a venue. If you were reading along, you might have seen the words "In theory" and "if". 

So let me try again, with some additional emphasis:

If you're still unable to keep track, this hypothetical suggestion, is a path for someone to bring a case without a venue announcement. Which you have for some reason, completely ruled out.

In your estimation is that E45M from private/business money, or is it (somehow, would surprise me) local/regional/national govt/taxpayer money? Those company names you listed are all familiar to me from various aspects of AC32 in Valencia, I guess a degree of support from some of them is plausible.

But given the economic hurt in Spain the concept of putting govt resources to a yacht race sounds a touch implausible; and it being an actual democracy you'd think money-strings politicians would be weighing in, in one way or the other, none of which we have seen from in hot-politics Spain.

Even in Ireland, a few Cork city council members seem to want the event there but the national politicians are avoiding it like it's yet-another plague! 
What I heard from leaks out of Auckland was that the city or province or whatever Spain's states are has approved €45M, but are also required to obtain additional sponsors to bring in another €30M - preferably two at €15M a year

Stingray~

Super Anarchist
PNW
the city or province or whatever Spain's states are has approved €45M
Okay, cool and thanks greatly for info most of us don't get insider rumors on. 

Am still surprised if the above is true but maybe in Spain things work, umm, differently :)  NDA's can go only so far when public monies are involved, on most planets..

edit: my opinion is that Auckland is where AC37 should (and will) be raced but after a quick glimpse at Malaga then as just a tourist I'd happily go there. Charming-enough town, nice climate, probably reliable wind conditions being close to Gibraltar.  

nroose

Super Anarchist
Berkeley
Why should a private members' club need to concern itself with the public interest?
Every organization depends in part on the good will of the community around where they operate. And as such, every organization does consider the interests of that community.

dogwatch

Super Anarchist
South Coast, UK
Every organization depends in part on the good will of the community around where they operate. And as such, every organization does consider the interests of that community.
Context. You are recommending being nice but we are talking a lawsuit. You can’t be successfully sued for failing to be nice. You need to break an actual law or legal obligation. A private company or other company has no obligation to pursue the public interest. It exists in the interest of its shareholders or members. If it chooses to be nice as well, that’s splendid but it isn’t a legal obligation. Clearly a world of shit would follow if it were, as what is or is not the public interest is frequently far from obvious. The only context I know of in which public interest arises in a UK courtroom is as a defence to what would otherwise be a breach of privacy. So it’s a shield, not a sword.

dogwatch

Super Anarchist
South Coast, UK
edit: my opinion is that Auckland is where AC37 should (and will) be raced but after a quick glimpse at Malaga then as just a tourist I'd happily go there. Charming-enough town, nice climate, probably reliable wind conditions being close to Gibraltar.  
It's an area I've been to several times, never for sailing. I don't know much about the city itself but there are other places well-worth visiting e.g. the Alhambra in Granada is extraordinary. Marbella is popular with wealthy golf-playing retirees from across Europe, with a bit of a Boca Raton ambience but better scenery. Reliable wind, well I think you can say there's a good probability of wind. The area is influenced by Atlantic lows and it can be windy as fuck for several days at a time, from west (Poniente) or east (Levante). 

https://conjamonspain.com/2014/08/13/the-winds-in-spain-a-lot-of-hot-air

Anyone interested in paragliding should check out Algodonales, about an hour inland, which is paragliding paradise in spring and autumn and visited by 1000s of pilots from northern Europe. Summer = too hot.

chesirecat

Super Anarchist
Shoebox on M'way
It's an area I've been to several times, never for sailing. I don't know much about the city itself but there are other places well-worth visiting e.g. the Alhambra in Granada is extraordinary. Marbella is popular with wealthy golf-playing retirees from across Europe, with a bit of a Boca Raton ambience but better scenery. Reliable wind, well I think you can say there's a good probability of wind. The area is influenced by Atlantic lows and it can be windy as fuck for several days at a time, from west (Poniente) or east (Levante). 

https://conjamonspain.com/2014/08/13/the-winds-in-spain-a-lot-of-hot-air

Anyone interested in paragliding should check out Algodonales, about an hour inland, which is paragliding paradise in spring and autumn and visited by 1000s of pilots from northern Europe. Summer = too hot.
Marbella golf retiree's! Must be getting soft, golf club enjoyed a different clientele in my day.

dogwatch

Super Anarchist
South Coast, UK
Marbella certainly has its share of retirees including, at one time, the more successful of Britain's criminal classes. As for golf, I may be making unwarranted assumptions. It isn't my game.

Rennmaus

Super Anarchist
Marbella certainly has its share of retirees including, at one time, the more successful of Britain's criminal classes. As for golf, I may be making unwarranted assumptions. It isn't my game.
Yep, if you are interested in organized crime, you're certainly welcome in Marbella. 

The Main Man

Super Anarchist
Blighty
It does help those who want it held in Auckland.  If you are sitting in Cork or Malaga and doing your homework before you approve govt funding of $120M and you see all the angst and lawsuit threats you may be a wee-bit hesitant to vote "yes" in spending $120M taxpayer money on this event.

Won't be Vodafone I'd say.

Forourselves

Super Anarchist
New Zealand
It’s Christmas Day here in NZ. Though we may bitch and moan at, to and about each other, Merry Christmas and fair winds to all. May 2022 be better than 2021. 

Latest posts