Emirates Team New Zealand.

Maybe the other way around?
Nar Jizzie, Dalts promised megayachts, celebrities and hundreds of millions of dollars in ROI to New Zealand. Covid was no fault of New Zealand but, Dalts chose to go ahead with The Cup because he didn't want to loose the technology race. 

So, as far as we should be concerned, ETNZ is on breach of contract regarding the return to the New Zealand people of the massive investment made. 

To take The Cup offshore is a further breach of the ROI promise. 

If they do, they'll lose The Cup. 

The Swiss will take it off us again.

Quote me later if you like. 

Gissie

Super Anarchist
Nar Jizzie, Dalts promised megayachts, celebrities and hundreds of millions of dollars in ROI to New Zealand. Covid was no fault of New Zealand but, Dalts chose to go ahead with The Cup because he didn't want to loose the technology race. 

So, as far as we should be concerned, ETNZ is on breach of contract regarding the return to the New Zealand people of the massive investment made. 

To take The Cup offshore is a further breach of the ROI promise. 

If they do, they'll lose The Cup. 

The Swiss will take it off us again.

Quote me later if you like. 
My post was made after a few drinks and may not have been quite what was intended.

For me, ETNZ promised the earth and is now delivering shit. Taking it offshore is a big steaming pile.

Not sure if it will be the Swiss, personally I hope it is the Italians. It will also be the end of what we call an NZ team from any future cup.

Forourselves

Super Anarchist
New Zealand
My post was made after a few drinks and may not have been quite what was intended.

For me, ETNZ promised the earth and is now delivering shit. Taking it offshore is a big steaming pile.

Not sure if it will be the Swiss, personally I hope it is the Italians. It will also be the end of what we call an NZ team from any future cup.
What "promise"? As far as I recall, Dalts has NEVER made any promises.

The rest is BS.

nroose

Super Anarchist
Berkeley
Seems like sometimes people see promotions or pitches and take them a little too much to heart. Someone who is trying to organize an event often says they hope to or plan to or will get x number of competitors, and then if they fall short, there's always people who will condemn them for under-delivering or lying or something. It's difficult to promote anything without saying anything about the future, but the future is always uncertain.

NeedAClew

Super Anarchist
USA
Oh I am caring less by the minute. Finished my last drink of 2021. Rose champagne. No hormone blockers so less alcohol.

Fuck you and Happy New Year.  

shebeen

Super Anarchist
There you go, its not that hard is it!?

The difference is I don't bag and bitch and moan about them every chance I get, unlike you.

The other widely known, and widely acknowledged fact is, the Black Ferns are, and have been the benchmark, through sheer dominance. 5 World cups is proof of that.
okee dokee, can you stop on on that All Blacks rugby team then?

3 world cups from 9..nowhere close to the currently world #1 ranked springboks  3 wins from 7, (including the NZ referee who had to retire after taking his paycheque to eliminate them). 

nroose

Super Anarchist
Berkeley
So free government money with no accountability? Must be nice.
Seems like he promised to hold the cup in Auckland. And he did. And he won. I guess there were other hopes and dreams that didn't come to pass. I guess sports events all over the world cost the communities that hold them. And some are bitter about that. Not really sure if we should just stop. And it's natural that the more aggressive among us are the people who own and run the teams and leagues, rather than the people who run national, regional and local governments. I am not sure if NZ or Auckland benefited overall from funding America's cup related activities over the years or not. It's always a difficult question to answer with any authority.

Gissie

Super Anarchist
Seems like he promised to hold the cup in Auckland. And he did. And he won. I guess there were other hopes and dreams that didn't come to pass. I guess sports events all over the world cost the communities that hold them. And some are bitter about that. Not really sure if we should just stop. And it's natural that the more aggressive among us are the people who own and run the teams and leagues, rather than the people who run national, regional and local governments. I am not sure if NZ or Auckland benefited overall from funding America's cup related activities over the years or not. It's always a difficult question to answer with any authority.
Don't know of any here that are bitter about the money spend by both local and national government in the past. Was there an overall benefit, probably if you count the non sailors that had fun supporting what was sold to them as a 'national' team.

This time the deal was changed. Instead of fund the event, it became fund the event and the team or we will sell it to someone who wants it. Plus the money needs no oversight on how it is spent.

There was no way anyone in government could countenance such open largesse at this point in time. So off they go, leaving behind any idea of being a 'national' team. Instead, confirming they are a business first and formost. The only use they have for nationality is to limit many of the top sailors in the world from having a chance of joining a team. 

With B&T still not signed up, it does make me wonder if there were already undercurrents. Perhaps the nationality clause was targeted at them in particular.

nroose

Super Anarchist
Berkeley
Seems like we should not conflate the past events with the new event. I was kinda pissed when Larry took the cup out of SF Bay. But it's reality. I am kinda pissed that Warriors moved to SF. I don't really care about Football so I don't care about Raiders moving to Vegas. I guess I would be pissed if A's move out of Oakland. But that's all emotional. The sports leagues exist because of the revenue they get and location matters. I don't really know what things Dalton and TNZ are dealing with but if they have to go abroad to run this event, then I will watch. It's up to each person whether they will or not. I guess most New Zealanders watch their rugby players wherever they play.

Gissie

Super Anarchist
I guess most New Zealanders watch their rugby players wherever they play.
True, but they are a national team, supported by a national body. All supported by a world body. We are happy to support their away games, but also expect home games to support from our national team.

The AB's are having some monetary problems and were looking at selling an interest in their name. Sort of acceptable. Had they decided to sell themselves to the highest bidder and moved to that country for all 'home' games I doubt it would be acceptable. They would have been shown the door and asked to leave the name behind.

As for conflating past events with the new event, I suppose it depends on whether you consider the AC to a JAR. To me it isn't, but each to his own. Many now see it as a future part of some Red Bull circuit and maybe that is where it is going.

pusslicker

Super Anarchist
Paris
Seems like we should not conflate the past events with the new event. I was kinda pissed when Larry took the cup out of SF Bay. But it's reality. I am kinda pissed that Warriors moved to SF. I don't really care about Football so I don't care about Raiders moving to Vegas. I guess I would be pissed if A's move out of Oakland. But that's all emotional. The sports leagues exist because of the revenue they get and location matters. I don't really know what things Dalton and TNZ are dealing with but if they have to go abroad to run this event, then I will watch. It's up to each person whether they will or not. I guess most New Zealanders watch their rugby players wherever they play.
I'd be happy these fucks were leaving NZ if I was a Kiwi. It's just like when a pro team threatens to leave if we don't buy a new stadium for the billionaire owner. The ROI for TNZ is probably even less than a pro sports team. Fuck them. Having said that I hope TNZ at least gets a windy venue. Auckland fucking sucks for the AC.

Forourselves

Super Anarchist
New Zealand
True, but they are a national team, supported by a national body. All supported by a world body. We are happy to support their away games, but also expect home games to support from our national team.

The AB's are having some monetary problems and were looking at selling an interest in their name. Sort of acceptable. Had they decided to sell themselves to the highest bidder and moved to that country for all 'home' games I doubt it would be acceptable. They would have been shown the door and asked to leave the name behind.

As for conflating past events with the new event, I suppose it depends on whether you consider the AC to a JAR. To me it isn't, but each to his own. Many now see it as a future part of some Red Bull circuit and maybe that is where it is going.
The Warriors are based in Queensland, and theyre still called the “NZ” Warriors. They can call themselves what ever they want to call themselves.