ePropulsion and Torqeedo experiences

weightless

Super Anarchist
Motor sail, and you’ll be amazed at how far and fast you can go at very low power settings. There is always some wind.
Ages ago now Torqeedo advised us that motor sailing would harm the 1003. I think it's okay with the new ones but it's worth checking with Torqeedo about the particular motor if the manual that came with it doesn't explicitly allow it.

allweather

baltic
So that includes engine compartment.
Diesels don‘t?(never owned an inboard myself and all ships I crew on are either spotless or obviously never touched...)

by the way, how much extra space do you have gained there(any sound proofing removed?) and are you using it for anything?

Pertinacious Tom

Importunate Member
Punta Gorda FL
ePropulsion are about to announce the Spirit EVO, which is the same small electric outboard as before, but with hydro-generation capabilities through the propeller at speeds in excess of 4 knots.  Also the throttle will be detachable instead of hinged and will be interchangeable with a remote control.
Hmm... I somehow missed that bolded detail and this thread when shopping.

I didn't get the EVO because I don't care about regeneration. Just got the regular Spirit 1.0 Plus. So far, so good, I really love it.

They do have a couple of weird ideas at ePropulsion, though.

That tiller is really long and folds down, not up. It tilts up only a short way. And I have a boom gallows. They don't get along. I don't like getting off my ass if I'm on the far side of the boat. A remote would be really nice. Also, retracting the bracket and tilting the motor involves an odd little dance to get around the tiller problem.

ePropTrolling.jpg

They also refuse to accept how the rest of the world measures shaft length. I got a "short" shaft, said to be equivalent to a standard gas outboard "long" 20" shaft. It's not, Pics don't lie. You can see them here. For a sailboat, get the ePropulsion "long" shaft.

The main concerns about electrics, power and range, just don't apply in my case at all. It's a 500 lb boat, only goes out on great sailing days, and only has to go a short distance in good protection to get away from the ramp. I could easily do it with half the power and a tenth the range that my ePropulsion has.

TBW

Ages ago now Torqeedo advised us that motor sailing would harm the 1003. I think it's okay with the new ones but it's worth checking with Torqeedo about the particular motor if the manual that came with it doesn't explicitly allow it.
I have a Torqeedo 1003.

My understanding is motor sailing is fine.  The issue is sailing with the motor down and not operating.  If there is enough flow to turn the prop without the motor running it can mess things up.  

weightless

Super Anarchist
Reducing the load harms it?    Seems off.
Driving current back into electronics not intended for it can cause smoke to escape from them. Ask me how I know ;)

My understanding is motor sailing is fine.  The issue is sailing with the motor down and not operating.  If there is enough flow to turn the prop without the motor running it can mess things up. 
We were advised against motor sailing at all. However, I think you're correct that as long as the throttle is in forward and adding some thrust at all times it should be okay. At least that's how we've treated it. It might well be that they fixed the bug in more recent versions and it isn't a worry at all.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bull City

A fine fellow
North Carolina
Hmm... I somehow missed that bolded detail and this thread when shopping.

I didn't get the EVO because I don't care about regeneration. Just got the regular Spirit 1.0 Plus. So far, so good, I really love it.

They do have a couple of weird ideas at ePropulsion, though.

That tiller is really long and folds down, not up. It tilts up only a short way. And I have a boom gallows. They don't get along. I don't like getting off my ass if I'm on the far side of the boat. A remote would be really nice. Also, retracting the bracket and tilting the motor involves an odd little dance to get around the tiller problem.

They also refuse to accept how the rest of the world measures shaft length. I got a "short" shaft, said to be equivalent to a standard gas outboard "long" 20" shaft. It's not, Pics don't lie. You can see them here. For a sailboat, get the ePropulsion "long" shaft.

The main concerns about electrics, power and range, just don't apply in my case at all. It's a 500 lb boat, only goes out on great sailing days, and only has to go a short distance in good protection to get away from the ramp. I could easily do it with half the power and a tenth the range that my ePropulsion has.
Tom, eP makes a remote throttle, very similar to Torqeedo's. I used the Torqeedo version when I had the Torqeedo, and now I use the eP version with my pod drive. I think it would work with your Spirit and would allow you to operate it with the tiller left home. The remote costs about $300. Might be worth checking out.

Pertinacious Tom

Importunate Member
Punta Gorda FL
Tom, eP makes a remote throttle, very similar to Torqeedo's. I used the Torqeedo version when I had the Torqeedo, and now I use the eP version with my pod drive. I think it would work with your Spirit and would allow you to operate it with the tiller left home. The remote costs about $300. Might be worth checking out.
Thanks, Bull. Not sure what they might do about the kill switch. It's a blue piece of plastic with a magnet inside, and it has to be in place atop the tiller to operate the motor. You can see it in my pic above, along with a lanyard attaching it to the boom gallows.

If mine can't be converted because of that issue, it's still OK with me. I just have to swing the tiller all the way around backward when tilting.

The bigger problem I have is actually easy to solve. The springs in the motor bracket were fine for the 60 lb Tohatsu but are far too powerful for the ePropulsion. I have to get my entire upper body out above the engine and drop all my weight on it to get it down all the way. I'm going to remove or cut some of the springs.

Latest posts