Escape summer heat

Bull City

Bull City
North Carolina
Summer in North Carolina is a hot beast. I hate it. This afternoon, we already had 90º temperatures. I would like to get away for a month, say July or August, and go someplace that is cool and not crowded.

Ireland, Scotland would be grand. Southern hemisphere is entirely doable. Spanish speaking country is OK too.

I am a 68 year old fart with an understanding wife.

Any suggestions?

Gasp!

If you want to go somewhere cooler and inexpensive, consider a charter out of the Apostle Islands, Lake Superior. There is something really cool about sailing on crystal clear fresh water (June - August).

For somewhere cooler and expensive come down here to Australia and charter in the Whitsunday Islands. (July-October).

mcmurdo

earth
Newfoundland.

The mood will be set at the airport when the friendliest clerk in the world takes three hours to get you your rental car. And that's when you take a deep breath and say, "Shit happens when it happens." And then you are ready for Newfoundland.

Rain every third day, often followed by two days of rain. Good beer (made with iceberg water!) Great people. You absolutely can not be in a hurry.

This year, Canada is 150 years old, but that hardly matters to a sizeable minority of Newfoundlanders, who are sure the referendum to join Canada was fixed. Long live the Republic of Newfoundland! You can buy the flag. Hunt around, and someone will probably sell you one of the Republic's bonds, too. At less than par.

Gros Morne in the west. Twillingate and Fogo, central. The Avalon peninsula in the east. And, just for fun, you can take a boat to France for a day!

Some of the residents speak English. Nobody's quite sure what the others speak.

Essential reading before you go: Baltimore's Mansion, by Wayne Johnston.

+1

All park fees are waved this year in the Great White North because of the. 150 celebration. I'm thinking about doing the Trent Severn waterway this summer.

http://www.pc.gc.ca/en/lhn-nhs/on/trentsevern/

Free 150 Discover pass

http://www.commandesparcs-parksorders.ca/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/en/parksb2c

If you want to go somewhere cooler and inexpensive, consider a charter out of the Apostle Islands, Lake Superior. There is something really cool about sailing on crystal clear fresh water (June - August).

For somewhere cooler and expensive come down here to Australia and charter in the Whitsunday Islands. (July-October).
OMG yes. I was thinking north shore of Superior just now. Late July, August cool and warm enough. Gets warm late up there. Really any place in the upper Great Lakes is much nicer than NC in summer. Sitting in Durham today back home its in the cool 60s in the day time.Thats the night time low here. Comments I'm hearing her are already about "what's coming", The OBX could be a get away. Or up to Flat Top in summer cooler up there.

The Canadian maritimes are a great to visit in late Summer.

Last edited by a moderator:
Newfoundland.

The mood will be set at the airport when the friendliest clerk in the world takes three hours to get you your rental car. And that's when you take a deep breath and say, "Shit happens when it happens." And then you are ready for Newfoundland.

Rain every third day, often followed by two days of rain. Good beer (made with iceberg water!) Great people. You absolutely can not be in a hurry.

This year, Canada is 150 years old, but that hardly matters to a sizeable minority of Newfoundlanders, who are sure the referendum to join Canada was fixed. Long live the Republic of Newfoundland! You can buy the flag. Hunt around, and someone will probably sell you one of the Republic's bonds, too. At less than par.

Gros Morne in the west. Twillingate and Fogo, central. The Avalon peninsula in the east. And, just for fun, you can take a boat to France for a day!

Some of the residents speak English. Nobody's quite sure what the others speak.

Essential reading before you go: Baltimore's Mansion, by Wayne Johnston.
Agreed. Nicest people on the planet. Come to Newfie, but don't tell anyone else, it's starting to get discovered. Make sure to get Screeched in. If you are on the Bonavista Peninsula during the last week of July or first week of August, stop by for a meal of fresh cod and scrunchions.

Jim in Halifax

Super Anarchist
Nova Scotia
Since Newfoundland has been suggested (quite rightly), you may want to expand the cool options and go anywhere from Maine to Labrador. Hell, why not a northern cruise? On your own bottom or one chartered.

Kris Cringle

Super Anarchist
Summer in North Carolina is a hot beast. I hate it. This afternoon, we already had 90º temperatures. I would like to get away for a month, say July or August, and go someplace that is cool and not crowded.

Ireland, Scotland would be grand. Southern hemisphere is entirely doable. Spanish speaking country is OK too.

Any suggestions?

Gasp!
To think about spending a month somewhere exotic, I envy you! Here's my 2 cents:

While we've never been to Scotland in high summer we've made a few visits(daughter went to college there) in the shoulder season. I've never been hot in Scotland.

I especially love the Northern end of the Island, the Highlands, the coast, magnificent. This was Isle of Skye.

22393523065_69f95d743e_h.jpg

I'd be a bit leery (you might not) of going there in high season. Not for the weather, but for crowds and cost. It would be a challenge to find a month of lodging at an affordable rate in high season.

We travel pretty cheaply by going in the off season and spending time (and less$) off the beaten path. No crowds, more locals than tourists. AirBnB's are affordable, food is better and cheaper away from the hordes. We've never been able to spend more than a vacation week, though.

I'd recommend Maine highly, but I couldn't guarantee it won't be hot in mid-summer. We'll always have cool nights in July and August, but we can have days in a row hitting the 90's, and humid(I love the 'heat' here, but not everyone does). Not likely,...but it happens. Stay next to the water and you'll never be hot in Maine.

Even on a rare hot day in Maine, once the sun goes down, you put on a layer, and that feels good. Right now, I want to escape the freakin' cold and damp!

On cost: The coast of Maine is no deal compared to Scotland or Ireland, in high season. The farther downeast, the more affordable and cooler.

21748389630_8f48eefbed_h.jpg

We haven't been to Newfoundland but it would be a better bet for a guaranteed cool month, than Maine. Good knowledge from living nearby says Newfoundland is a great deal in cost. We're planning a trip soon.

You have some great suggestions here. Newfoundland is spectacular. Lake Superior is high on my list. However, what about The North Channel? Beautiful freshwater cruising. Good charter boats are available. Warm days, cool nights, perfect swimming water temperatures, blueberries, fishing, etc.

If not looking for a sailing holiday. Check out Cape Breton in Nova Scotia.

kimbottles

Super Anarchist
PNW
I also LOVE Nova Scotia. Especially Cape Breton.

PEI was also very nice, (except for the red mud all over the VW Vanagon.)

(This thread has SWMBO and me wanting to visit Newfoundland.)

Panoramix

Super Anarchist

Any suggestions?

Gasp!
Spanish speaking and cold is rather limited to the southern tip of South America!.

For somewhere Celtic but a bit warmer than Ireland, you can try Brittany. Some (but not all) places are crowded though. Temperatures rarely exceed 80ºF.

snubber

Idaho
Another vote for the North Channel of Lake Huron. Good charter options, rocks, fantastic scenery and sailing, wilderness, clear water, rocks, friendly people. I chartered there one year and haul my 4 ksb up there from Texas each summer for a few weeks of sailing. If you charter, getting there from Toronto or Sudbury can be a chore. I can give you the name of a car service that will deliver you to the charter base.

Funny note. I was looking at the user-added notes in Navionics for the North Channel and someone added a note near a rock that basically said, "there's a second rock here that isn't shown on the chart. I saw propeller pieces scattered around the rock."

Any suggestions?

Gasp!

Bull City

Bull City
North Carolina
Several years ago, 2009 I believe, we visited the Maine coast, went on a 5-day Windjammer cruise out of Camden, did L.L. Bean, and went to Monhegan Island. It was a wonderful time. Then, in 2014, on the shoulder season, we went to Nova Scotia, Halifax, Cape Breton, Louisbourg, and other places. We really enjoyed the people and places.

Newfoundland sounds very nice. Thinking about it, I was in Gander in 1959. I was 10, and my family was returning to the U.S. from Europe. Our plane stopped there to re-fuel. I remember nothing.

It looks like there are dozens, maybe hundreds of lakes. If any of you have ideas about itineraries or places to stay for at least several days, I would love to hear about them. We like to be able to visit local markets and do some cooking.