ETAP 21i?

cms

Super Anarchist
Neat little boat with loads of cool features and sails well, but unthinkable foam core construction means if any moisture gets in, the whole core steadily turns to mush.

floater

Super Duper Anarchist
quivira regnum
Neat little boat with loads of cool features and sails well, but unthinkable foam core construction means if any moisture gets in, the whole core steadily turns to mush.
pretty sure this isn't the case. fyi there is a very active Etap owner's group in the Netherlands. in case anybody here speaks Dutch.

floater

Super Duper Anarchist
quivira regnum
for sure it's closed cell foam on the Etap. but I agree that it shouldn't be structural - after all, its not really bonded and cured to the skins. so it's not structural. For the most part, my Etap (an '86 30), does not have structural foam (the keel grid structure is filled with foam - I think - but heaven forbid that be structural lol). instead, its just big "tanks" of foam. that is, where you would expect big storage bins (like beneath the V-berth or under the cockpit sole - there are big blocks of foam (however, note that this is still hidden from view by a fully gel-coated skin). so all foam is hidden from view. even prying eyes, within virtually the entire boat.

the good: it insulates. its a very dry boat below in terms of low condensation and temperature is moderated and yeah - you also won't sink (in theory ;-). the bad: you end up with a lot less storage, still. I seem to have enough. the ugly: it does trap water from deck leaks in odd places and the double-skinned overhead makes tracking down those leaks next-to-impossible. However, there is no foam between the overhead skins that I am aware of. the idea is that if the boat is holed - or a seacock compromised - you will still be able to sail the boat and inhabit the interior. crazy shit. really. and my boat is not especially tender. it does just fine in SF bay.

Last edited:

LeoV

Super Anarchist
The Netherlands
Etap changed from foam filled gun type of process to placing foam blocks, way before the 23i. Due to water absorption of that system.
Some kind of foam that was and still is used in a lot of boats structural to form a sandwich. But lightweight version of it.. no water absorption problems any more.

Se7en

Super Anarchist
Melbourne
However, there is no foam between the overhead skins that I am aware of. the idea is that if the boat is holed - or a seacock compromised - you will still be able to sail the boat and inhabit the interior. crazy shit. really. and my boat is not especially tender. it does just fine in SF bay.
37s definately has foam in the overhead / deck. 120mm from memory.

floater

Super Duper Anarchist
quivira regnum
37s definately has foam in the overhead / deck. 120mm from memory.
I can see how that would be nice from an insulation pov. but it has nothing to do with the 'unsinkability' of the Etap, as that must be placed below or near the waterline to be effective. so any foam in the overhead a completely different story. maybe you are just thinking foam cored deck. which is true.

lots of people seem to like these boats. and mine sails well. and has a nice interior (and all sorts of other great things like a gas well, chain locker, lovely Selden spar, and even a windlass hidden beneath a deck hatch). but I find the all the foam a bit of an odd choice - until I don't. I guess. lol.

Se7en

Super Anarchist
Melbourne
I can see how that would be nice from an insulation pov. but it has nothing to do with the 'unsinkability' of the Etap, as that must be placed below or near the waterline to be effective.. maybe you are just thinking foam cored deck. which is true.

I find the all the foam a bit of an odd choice - until I don't. I guess. lol.
I agree it adds little towards unsinkability (except in extremis I guess). I'm also unsure how structural it is, again from memory it seemed well bonded to the deck, but not to the inner lining. I replaced a vent and needed to tighten cleats up forward, so had a good look at that area.

Insulation properties were excellent, so perhaps that's the reason. We had conditions from ice on the deck to 40 plus degrees and found it comfortable below in all of it. For a certain measure of comfortable at least...

Latest posts