Etchells 46 early 1970's IOR racer

Hi All,

I recently found an 1973 Etchells 46 in a barn near London, Ontario, Canada. Please see the attached pictures taken just after the boat was pulled from the barn. Yes, the deep fin lead keel is not on the boat. The boat is sitting on it's F/G hull keel stub on the trailer to reduce the over the highway load height. Note that the bottom tip of the skeg hung rudder is touching the grass in the pasture.

The Etchells 46 was designed by Skip Etchells and built by Tillotson-Pearson Inc. It appears that only two Etchells 46's were ever built. The first one was built for Everett Pearson about 1971 for use as his personal boat. Everett Pearson named his boat FANTASIA. Everett Pearson probably sailed his boat called FANTASIA in races around Boston and possibly on Newport to Bermuda races and the SORC. The second Etchells 46 built is the one that I found in the barn.

Tillotson-Pearson Inc. might have also called the Etchells 46, a Fantasia 46 or a Tillotson-Pearson 46. 

The Etchells 46 that I found, was stored in the barn for approximately 30 years. It is complete with all of the spars and rigging. The history of the boat is unknown. I have hauled it to Bayfield, Ontario on Lake Huron. I am planning on refitting the boat and sailing it on the Great Lakes. Although the boat's hull appears to be black in the pictures, it is actually a very dark blue. This second Etchells 46 is the same as the first boat built, Everett Pearson's FANTASIA, with the following factory modifications, an IOR type bustle was incorporated at the rudder post and there is no companionway in the cockpit. In addition, entry to the boat is though a midships sliding hatch down a ladder over the midships engine box. A full suite of Barient 20, 26, 32 and 35 winches are on deck, similar to boats of the early 1970's. I am calling the boat that I found in the barn "MYSTERY" because I do not know any of her history.

To the best of my knowledge, and research at this time, Skip Etchells only designed the two 46's and Tillotson-Pearson only built the two of them in the early 1970's. FANTASIA was built first and then "MYSTERY" was built.  The boat that I have appears to be a factory built/modified version of the first built Etchells 46. There may have been additional Etchells 46's built that I am not aware of at this time.

I would be interested in learning about the history of both of these two boats.

If you sailed on, docked beside or have any knowledge of Everett Pearson's Etchells 46 named FANTASIA, please post it on the board for all to see. 

In addition, If you sailed on, docked beside or have any knowledge of the dark blue, modified Etchells 46 that I call "MYSTERY", please post it as well on the board for all to see.

Thank you!

Ric

Etchells 46 port forward view.JPG

ETCHELLS 46 side view.jpeg

Etchells_46_stern_view.JPG

Hi Editor,

Yes, I will keep MYSTERY. I just moved her from the barn near London to Bayfield on Lake Huron this past summer. I am planning to refit her and sail her on the Great Lakes. She will be my retirement boat!

Question; When you saw FANTASIA in San Diego.....what color was her hull?.... and about what year did you see her?

Cheers,

Ric

Editor

Administrator
Staff member
carlsbad
Hi Editor,

Yes, I will keep MYSTERY. I just moved her from the barn near London to Bayfield on Lake Huron this past summer. I am planning to refit her and sail her on the Great Lakes. She will be my retirement boat!

Question; When you saw FANTASIA in San Diego.....what color was her hull?.... and about what year did you see her?

Cheers,

Ric
medium blue, perhaps?

Left Shift

Super Anarchist
Seattle
Great find.  Just do the boat one favor :  Use that rudder for a countertop someplace and get one that will actually steer the boat.

Pollination

EC
How are the sails?  This one is cool but will be a 20 ton of Belgian Hedrowe to Tack ! 

The interior will be great for card games for the off watch....while being served a nice Thanksgiving Dinner! One Rum per watch....unlimited beer and wine! 

Back in the day.... old school racing was for professionals.....successful businessmen and their families and friends. A pro or two amongst the mix. It's hilarious to see the 'let's pretend" corinthian only classes claiming validity. Heck, with the current environment all "Cat 3's will qualify as Cat 1's" , if they were smart and resorted to what they were qualified for prior to proclaiming themselves as a pro sailer. Oh wait , the dishwashers were out of work too! 

Ahhhhhhh ... the good old days!   

huey 2

Super Anarchist
syd
What a find.... Good Luck in her recommission.....she will be fast and lovely

In Sydney on the Northern Beaches 1987-88 there was a bloke who assisted in  Kay Cottee's Blackmore First Lady  Around the World boat prep.....He was building his version of an Etchells E22 stretched to mid 40s or it was an Etchells 46, he was building in timber strip plank with epoxy triple bias outer, inner double bias and she was beautiful to see....

huey 2

Super Anarchist
syd
image.png . Posted this photo of the one on the Lakes...Fantasia....? 

just to show those lines.... pity about the bustle...   but still a lovely design  

hermetic

Super Anarchist
skip's daughter and son are still around and might have some info.  last i heard Tim was in middlebury vt - but that was a while back.

Hank Bollard

Sweet! - post some cockpit, deck, interior photos!
Are you planing to keep it on the trailer in the dry sail lot with the other Etchells?  ;)

Last edited by a moderator: