Etchells set up

The Etchells are a great boat.Well done.Did you happen to pick up one of the new Mould 11 boats for under AUD10K?They wouldn’t be bad buying at that.Couldn’t build one at home for any less.

He is talking about about an Etchell, not a similar boat 31 feet for long
Sorry Livia.I should have realised.I am still of the opinion that at around AUD10K these boats provide a welcome and value plus entry level for those who aspire to Beer Can type racing while they learn the ropes and then upgrade to a class legal boat and enjoy One Design racing.If you were well heeled you may wish to donate your Mould 11 boat to the local Sea Scouts when you become a bit more proficient in the sport.All the blocks and lines etc would keep the Sea Scouts fleet of 50 year old GP14’s and Mirrors operational and on the water for years to come.Who said there was no upside in this saga.Just got to think outside the box.

hi ive been sailing for over 20 yrs, always dreamed of an etchells, now i got one. forestay marked at gooseneck, then measured in place from deck 48 in, measured from back of partners to back deck, marked 12 ft. measured from mark to mast base 12ft 5 1/2 in. hung anchor from main halyard with full backstay, measured from mast to halyard at boom height 46in. wow thats alot of rake. forestay still sagging. i took a picture but this is my first time on sailing anarchy, and im still figuring out how to post a picture. im looking for help. i think a forestay should have tension on it

FINS

Super Anarchist
Be careful the old old boats can't use the set up of the new boats. Keel location the balance gets thrown off. I remember on our old girl USA 440 we had to run a shorter forestay than the brand new boats.

Spoonie

Anarchist
Sydney
Be careful the old old boats can't use the set up of the new boats. Keel location the balance gets thrown off. I remember on our old girl USA 440 we had to run a shorter forestay than the brand new boats.
I'm shocked, shocked to hear that not all etchells are identical.

i took it for my first sail last night. wow thats alot of mainsail to put up by yourself, i was singlehanded. i must say im dissapointed with the feedback. i was looking for some help. my mast is raked back almost 4 ft and my forestay still looks like a wet noodle. this seems wrong to me. a kirby 25 has running backstays to keep tension on the forestay. the wind was light under 10 knts, the helm felt balanced. when i got in i shortened the forestay an inch, with the backstay on its still sags. maybe when the mainsail is loaded up it straightens up.

Ease the sheet.

ignoring stupid people is easy
i took it for my first sail last night. wow thats alot of mainsail to put up by yourself, i was singlehanded. i must say im dissapointed with the feedback. i was looking for some help. my mast is raked back almost 4 ft and my forestay still looks like a wet noodle. this seems wrong to me. a kirby 25 has running backstays to keep tension on the forestay. the wind was light under 10 knts, the helm felt balanced. when i got in i shortened the forestay an inch, with the backstay on its still sags. maybe when the mainsail is loaded up it straightens up.
Disappointed with the feedback?

FFS, the solution is obvious. Get a shorter forestay. Or maybe a longer boat.

thumper3

norcal
Our base forestay setting is 46 1/2. Over 15k 46". It makes for a lot of sag but it's fast. The tuning guides are simple but confusing at the same time get some help getting to a good base setting for your boat and sails. Then get your head out of the boat and sail.

Spoonie

Anarchist
Sydney
Short, long, I'd suggest it's not going to do anything for forestay tension.  I'm guessing most if not all the forestay tension upwind on an etchells comes from mainsheet tension, and some backstay tension.

with the mainsheet on hard, if you still have no forestay tension then shorten it.  You probably wouldn't have any main leach tension then either.

someone who's actually sailed one will know better.

longy

Overlord of Anarchy
San Diego
From my limited experience racing an Edsel once or twice: they sail with a lot of sag. IIRC it helps them point, and they are usually underpowered. I think you need to be asking these q's to actual E racers.