ETNZ no more?

Sorry for posting YET ANOTHER TNZ thread, but this just appeared. looks like Emirates have backed away from title sponsorship for either just the X40 programme, or pulled out of title sponsorship alltogether. It would appear that they are still the main sponsor however... their logo is minus the emirates too

http://www.extremesailingseries.com/teams/view/emirates-team-new-zealand

Could this shed some light on why they have not declared for AC34? Dalts is looking for a title sponsor to compliment the (reduced) Emirates backing?

maxmini

Super Anarchist
Sorry for posting YET ANOTHER TNZ thread, but this just appeared. looks like Emirates have backed away from title sponsorship for either just the X40 programme, or pulled out of title sponsorship alltogether. It would appear that they are still the main sponsor however... their logo is minus the emirates too

Could this shed some light on why they have not declared for AC34? Dalts is looking for a title sponsor to compliment the (reduced) Emirates backing?
Very interesting find . Lets see how this plays out .

Irish River

Super Anarchist
BC
TNZ also have a VOR campaign, sponsored by Camper. I don't know if Emirates are on board for that. Usually a title sponsor wants some exclusivity involved in plastering their name on the main sail.

WetHog

Super Anarchist
Annapolis, MD USA
TNZ also have a VOR campaign, sponsored by Camper. I don't know if Emirates are on board for that. Usually a title sponsor wants some exclusivity involved in plastering their name on the main sail.
This is probably the case, but Emirates being out would suit me just fine so long as it leads to TNZ going back to their all black boats with the Silver Fern. That was a great look. The nasty paint scheme they used during AC32 up till now with Emirates was not attractive. :blink:

Then again doesn't the concept pictures of the VOR boat have a similar color scheme? Darn. ;)

WetHog :ph34r:

Last edited by a moderator:

maxmini

Super Anarchist
This is probably the case, but Emirates being out would suit me just fine so long as it leads to TNZ going back to their all black boats with the Silver Fern. That was a great look. The nasty paint scheme they used during AC32 up till now with Emirates was not attractive. :blink:

Then again doesn't the concept pictures of the VOR boat have a similar color scheme? Darn. ;)

Just guessing but perhaps this development came after the concept pictures were done ?

KZ-1

Super Anarchist
Queenstown - NZ
Going to be interesting to see WHO takes title sponsorships for each campaigns that they are going to run or if there is going to be a MASTER naming rights owner ie EMIRATES that will be slapped on everything.

I could imagine Dalts is in negotiations for such MASTER naming rights as more exposure across multiple platforms would mean they would have to put up the price.

Indio

Super Anarchist
Auckland
ETNZ have always had a pyramid commercial sponsorship structure, with 1 primary Naming Sponsor at the top (EMIRATES) and 2 Elite Sponsors who have their brands on the boat (OMEGA + Toyota). It's interesting that the CAMPER-VO team is "being run by Emirates Team New Zealand" so there is clearly an EMIRATES presence acknowledged even in the non-AC/non-LVS programmes.

I wouldn't be surprised if CAMPER is being lined up as one of perhaps 3 Elite Sponsors for an AC34 campaign, with perhaps AUDI replacing Toyota, depending on whether Toyota wants to be too conspicuous in an "elitist" event, given their recent high-profile auto-recall problems in the US.

kiwi_jon

Super Anarchist
Auckland
Their pyramid ain't working.

I had no idea Omega and Toyota were involved.
Toyota New Zealand has been a sponsor of Team New Zealand since 1992 and was one of the original 'Family of Five' sponsors.

Omega has been a sponsor of TNZ since 1995. They also supported Sir Peter Blake after he left TNZ which is why his expedition yacht was called Seamaster.

kiwi_jon

Super Anarchist
Auckland

I wouldn't read too much into it. There could be several reasons

Oman Air is a major sponsor of the Muscat Festival of which the XSS is a part of. Organisers or Emirates Airline may have asked them to drop the Emirates from the name in deference to Oman Air.

TNZ may have dropped the Emirates from the name to avoid confusion due to the fact that the Emirates are just a hop, skip and jump away across the jebels.

TNZ did not have Emirates Team New Zealand emblazoned down the side of the TP52 either.

/monthly_02_2011/post-27927-071266700%201297244006_thumb.jpg

It was reported in a NZ Herald article a couple of days after SF was announced that Emirates were happy with SF as a venue and would have pulled their support if the Cup was to be held in Europe as they have Europe saturated.

Attachments

• tnz.jpg
    tnz.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 1

Hikingstrap

If Emirates had truly pulled out, there would not be much red coloring left on a TNZ boat. Or perhaps it is just too recent a development to have new boat graphics ready....

http://www.extremesa...eam-new-zealand

I wouldn't read too much into it. There could be several reasons

Oman Air is a major sponsor of the Muscat Festival of which the XSS is a part of. Organisers or Emirates Airline may have asked them to drop the Emirates from the name in deference to Oman Air.

TNZ may have dropped the Emirates from the name to avoid confusion due to the fact that the Emirates are just a hop, skip and jump away across the jebels.

TNZ did not have Emirates Team New Zealand emblazoned down the side of the TP52 either.

/monthly_02_2011/post-27927-071266700%201297244006_thumb.jpg

It was reported in a NZ Herald article a couple of days after SF was announced that Emirates were happy with SF as a venue and would have pulled their support if the Cup was to be held in Europe as they have Europe saturated.
Yeah i'm not reading too much into it, just providing something for the resident analysts to comb over. they are clearly still sponsored by emirates, as image of their X40 shows.

interesting how this is playing out, I had been wondering about how they were going to manage all three arms of the beast, so to speak. the VOR is 'Team Camper, powered by Emirates Team New Zealand'.

I too saw the report in the granny herald that emirates were happy with the venue, so i'm sure they will be around to some extent. interesting in that it may explain the delay in TNZ announcing a challenge; even though they have clearly entered

CrushDigital

Super Anarchist
New York, NY

Just guessing but perhaps this development came after the concept pictures were done ?
The predominance of red in the VOR boat scheme is all due to Camper.

CAMPER-logo.gif

cousinpons

Super Anarchist

It's playing out right now. They are not fully funded and there is no indication that they ever will be in AC34. Had a joy ride in a 45 sure but that means little to nothing.

Indio

Super Anarchist
Auckland

It's playing out right now. They are not fully funded and there is no indication that they ever will be in AC34. Had a joy ride in a 45 sure but that means little to nothing.
Except to Spinray and Shit-for-brains Wanker...

cousinpons

Super Anarchist

You mean Bob?
biggrin.gif

bcopper

Super Anarchist

But they still haven't entered, correct ?