ETNZ To Attempt Wind Powered Land Speed Word Record

Sailbydate

Super Anarchist
Kohimarama
yes and no. It's really obscure and requires a lot of luck, so there aren't many takers punching in their lottery entries.

secondly, the ecotricity guys were a bit cooked on Ivanpah mushrooms too.

Ecotricity’s Greenbird triumph in America symbolises this historical watershed better than anything else by demonstrating how cutting edge British technology can harness the power of the wind.

And Ecotricity are already working on their next innovative wind project. Ecotricity is working with a team of highly skilled engineers to create a 2nd generation wind powered which will be a real and practical alternative to petroleum, diesel and hydrogen fuelled vehicles; powered using electricity generated by the wind.

Dale Vince said: “today’s record is an amazing achievement. It shows what is achievable with great British engineering and the power of the wind. In the next twenty years I firmly believe that wind power will be our main energy source and wind-powered cars will no longer be the stuff of dreams. At Ecotricity we are dedicated to making this a reality which is why we were behind today’s new record and why we will soon be revealing a wind-powered super car for everyday use. We want to change the world and create a very real solution to transport in a post-oil economy.”
Except, waiting for the wind to blow, or moderate. Good luck with that.

MrBump

3116 NZ
yes I got that, just figured they didn't exactly realise that making production cars is a bit different to slapping a wing on a tube of carbon and waiting for some windy desert conditions.

Turns out I was mostly wrong. They did actually build an electric supercar!

who cares if you bought it off ebay and retrofitted it, man put his money where his mouth was.
Given it was a short run and they had to wait to recharge it between runs, doesn't scream practical production car anytime soon.

The_Alchemist

Super Anarchist
USA
Looking up?

So, he is saying the problems of too much water in the lake comes from the wettest November and January (12-10 months ago) and it has been very wet for most of the year. All information that existed before they even shipped the vehicle to Australia.

Thank goodness that someone flipped that switch this year so that Australia can have summer. It is almost like they tilted the axis of the earth somehow and gave that part more sunlight!

I know I tend to pick on these guys a lot, but they set themselves up so much. First you have a group of Kiwi fans that brag up ETNZ as engineering gods that walk on water, that puts a target on their back. They have done some excellent work and their creativity has caused them to be very successful, but I would not trust them to run NASA or even design my car. They are just a handful of good engineers that specialize in a souped up soapbox derby.

dogwatch

Super Anarchist
South Coast, UK
I know I tend to pick on these guys a lot, but they set themselves up so much. First you have a group of Kiwi fans that brag up ETNZ as engineering gods that walk on water, that puts a target on their back. They have done some excellent work and their creativity has caused them to be very successful, but I would not trust them to run NASA or even design my car.

At least ETNZ would be less likely to confuse metric and imperial units.

Stingray~

Super Anarchist
PNW
A Toyota commercial basically but there's some good scenery and if it was filmed recently, they look to have drier conditions and some wind.

Stingray~

Super Anarchist
PNW
What makes you think any of the footage was new?
Hard to say, but the shadows do look less long...? And it was released today. Who knows?

Glenn compliments the Land Cruiser and I'm sure it's good enough for their purposes. Stingette is considering a CH-R, basically a smaller but sexier version of the RAV4. They look nice enough, AWD too and the HR stands for Ride Height. Toyotas and Lexus's are very popular around here.

shebeen

Super Anarchist
A Toyota commercial basically but there's some good scenery and if it was filmed recently, they look to have drier conditions and some wind.
he mentions the crew are staying at Mount Ive station.
Looks pretty spartan, if you're not in to cattle driving there might not be much else on offer.

1669880959341.png

about 30km from the base at the lake, which I guess is this "canteen". Call ahead first as can't guarantee they will be open.

1669881045502.png

well done to the official got the nod to go and be the observer on this one.

terrafirma

Super Anarchist
Melbourne
There was no timeline. Just weather windows that would be optimal based on historical data.
Agreed. So what happens to Glen Ashby now..? There were rumors the team gave this to Ashby to divert him from the sailing on water activities? Will he be onboard the AC75 next time around?

JALhazmat

Super Anarchist
Southampton
No time line? Seriously so this is just an open-ended project with unlimited, resources,funds and expectation that people are going to sit in the desert doing fuck all waiting for it to dry out and then actually be windy and then to actually even get the record, they’re going to sit there forever are they? that’s what you’re suggesting if there is “no timeline“

of course there is a fucking timeline

Forourselves

Super Anarchist
New Zealand
No time line? Seriously so this is just an open-ended project with unlimited, resources,funds and expectation that people are going to sit in the desert doing fuck all waiting for it to dry out and then actually be windy and then to actually even get the record, they’re going to sit there forever are they? that’s what you’re suggesting if there is “no timeline“

of course there is a fucking timeline
Oh FFS. you're a fucking drama queen aren't ya !? Not forever, just until a decent weather window presents itself. They don't need to sit out in the desert. They just pack the thing up and fly home until the weather plays ball, just like they have been...