ETNZ To Attempt Wind Powered Land Speed Word Record

shebeen

Super Anarchist
No time line? Seriously so this is just an open-ended project with unlimited, resources,funds and expectation that people are going to sit in the desert doing fuck all waiting for it to dry out and then actually be windy and then to actually even get the record, they’re going to sit there forever are they? that’s what you’re suggesting if there is “no timeline“

of course there is a fucking timeline
well it depends. Maybe the budget is drying up quicker than Lake Gairdner now since the front fell off the AC40. Glenn and the boys might have to move out of the Dongas and rather try camping. Would save about $120 per night

JALhazmat

Super Anarchist
Southampton
well it depends. Maybe the budget is drying up quicker than Lake Gairdner now since the front fell off the AC40. Glenn and the boys might have to move out of the Dongas and rather try camping. Would save about $120 per night

Nope, Four says it’s totally opened ended, no budget constraints at all, matteo must have wrote em a blank cheque..

Last edited:

enigmatically2

Super Anarchist
Earth
he mentions the crew are staying at Mount Ive station.
Looks pretty spartan, if you're not in to cattle driving there might not be much else on offer.
It's ok, it's a collection of kiwis and cobbers. They are used to an absence of civilisation.

{Ducks for cover}

The_Alchemist

Super Anarchist
USA
No time line? Seriously so this is just an open-ended project with unlimited, resources,funds and expectation that people are going to sit in the desert doing fuck all waiting for it to dry out and then actually be windy and then to actually even get the record, they’re going to sit there forever are they? that’s what you’re suggesting if there is “no timeline“

of course there is a fucking timeline
Well, Toyota got their commercial out of the effort.

How much longer do you see them funding this endeavor? I would say 3-6 months tops and then they pull the plug, just enough to make it through this summer in Australia. Toyota is not getting much bang out of the H2 Boat funding either. My guess is the Toyota will pass on funding any other "projects" from this team.

Forourselves

Super Anarchist
New Zealand
Nope, Four says it’s totally opened ended, no budget constraints at all, matteo must have wrote em a blank cheque..
Why would they need a blank cheque? The team are employed until the end of October 2024, so 2 years time. They have 2 years to attempt the record.
Its like the Transatlantic record, you don't just set off at any time and pray for record breaking weather. You wait until a suitable weather window allows you to attempt the record.
The goal for the project is to break the record. To break the record, they need favourable weather. Its simple as that.

JALhazmat

Super Anarchist
Southampton
seriously?
that entire build, testing training and attempt window is costed with a set time frame, in X years we will do Y

if it goes outside of that they need more funds/ round of sponsorship, new sponsors

it all costs money that is burnt through wether you are sat in the desert/pond or not.

you can’t genuinely believe it’s a blank cheque can you?

Forourselves

Super Anarchist
New Zealand
seriously?
that entire build, testing training and attempt window is costed with a set time frame, in X years we will do Y

if it goes outside of that they need more funds/ round of sponsorship, new sponsors

it all costs money that is burnt through wether you are sat in the desert/pond or not.

you can’t genuinely believe it’s a blank cheque can you?
So whats the problem? The team is employed at least until the end of 2024.
You do realise the sport of sailing is highly weather dependent right?
The project has a goal. Until it attempts and/ or achieves that goal, the project is on going. Flexibility and the ability to adapt to a project that is weather dependent is part of the project.
Jenkins took 10 years to break the record.

Last edited:

JALhazmat

Super Anarchist
Southampton
This isn’t sailing or the AC

as was said at the time, it’s an entirely separately funded and independent record attempt, utilising staff during a downtime between cups

Jenkins took 10 years and he didn’t raise the money to do that in one go neither did Paul Larson For SR1 or 2

The arrogance on display that we can throw something together between cups, throw a small budget at it and get it completed before we need our staff back is what’s most distasteful. You pivoting that it’ll take as long as it takes, is laughable, albeit the only sign of realism for the entire project.

Stingray~

Super Anarchist
PNW
Me, I think this World Speed Record attempt is extremely cool and I both hope and expect they will pull it off! Hats off to the video coverage, it's been excellent.

Sidecar

…………………………
Tasmania
The arrogance on display that we can throw something together between cups, throw a small budget at it and get it completed before we need our staff back is what’s most distasteful.
You need to lie down and take some deep breaths, your blatant bias is showing.

Patience, Grasshoppers:

barfy

Super Anarchist
hey have done some excellent work and their creativity has caused them to be very successful, but I would not trust them to run NASA or even design my car. They are just a handful of good engineers that specialize in a souped up soapbox derby.

I will enjoy your humble pie in a couple of years time.
Don't want to put words in @Kiwing mouth, but I reckon it's the main event he's referencing.
Certainly got the circle jerk team worked up.

Forourselves

Super Anarchist
New Zealand
This isn’t sailing or the AC

as was said at the time, it’s an entirely separately funded and independent record attempt, utilising staff during a downtime between cups

Jenkins took 10 years and he didn’t raise the money to do that in one go neither did Paul Larson For SR1 or 2

The arrogance on display that we can throw something together between cups, throw a small budget at it and get it completed before we need our staff back is what’s most distasteful. You pivoting that it’ll take as long as it takes, is laughable, albeit the only sign of realism for the entire project.
This was said "as was said at the time, it’s an entirely separately funded and independent record attempt"
This wasn't said (except by you) "utilising staff during a downtime between cups"
You made an assumption and it was wrong.

JALhazmat

Super Anarchist
Southampton
This was said "as was said at the time, it’s an entirely separately funded and independent record attempt"
This wasn't said (except by you) "utilising staff during a downtime between cups"
You made an assumption and it was wrong.
Oops.. from the first page

the bits in purple, you saying Grant lied? This seems to be a theme with you calling him a liar when he has put something In print

7AA2F928-A3FB-4F16-B654-F7A3FC793390.jpeg

7306E674-66C7-471F-BD65-EDE9DE2CFCED.jpeg

shebeen

Super Anarchist

the bits in purple, you saying Grant lied? This seems to be a theme with you calling him a liar when he has put something In print

View attachment 557015

View attachment 557016
i think there comes a point where it is bleeding money for no reason. Then they either mothball it for 6-9months while the lake dries out/find new venue or just can it totally.

I'm not sure how many of the original design/build team are actually needed form here on.if they are still in testing phase then it would make more sense to go and find a dry lake nearby and iron out all the issues there.

Forourselves

Super Anarchist
New Zealand

View attachment 557015

View attachment 557016
And what? Thats exactly what they've done. They have utilised the window of opportunity that existed with the lull in AC activities during the transition from the 36th Americas Cup to the 37th Americas Cup. They've designed and built the craft, they've assigned a support staff group to focus on that project, and they're now in the process of testing it. T What it DOES NOT say is "we will use this window and only this window to attempt the record" So that statement DOES NOT, I REPEAT DOES NOT Give a clear or definitive, or final timeline as to when they intend to attempt the record. And besides, the next AC isn't until 2024, 2 years time. So again, you've made assumptions based on your own glass half empty way of thinking, instead of glass half full.

Last edited:

JALhazmat

Super Anarchist
Southampton
You said I made up the “gap between cups“bit.

I showed you I hadn’t as it wasn’t an assumption it was fact.

what Are you on about now?

Forourselves

Super Anarchist
New Zealand
You said I made up the “gap between cups“bit.

I showed you I hadn’t as it wasn’t an assumption it was fact.

what Are you on about now?
No I didn't. There's always a gap between cups.
What I said was you were wrong in your assumption about timelines.
You've been going on and on about open ended timelines when infact no one has ever stated when timeline was intended to close. In terms of utilizing that window, that is exactly what they're doing and continue to do. The fact is the "window" if infact is only between cups and is not flexible, would then be open until October 2024. So they have almost 2 years to attempt the record.

Last edited: