EV car thread?

billy backstay

Backstay, never bought a suit, never went to Vegas
Now this gets my heart pumping!! Chinese super premium EV, maybe never available here, and not for 2 years in China....

Bull City

A fine fellow
North Carolina
Just saw this on a FB page for electric power on sailboats:

electric power.jpg

tane

Anarchist
Just saw this on a FB page for electric power on sailboats:

View attachment 557279
a very valid argument!
How many years away from reasonably useful cars were we at the point in time shown? At least as many years...
(not holding on to the past, only waiting for 200kg propulsion ("tank" & "motor") to propel a 40'er for 250nm & then require 10min of refuelling)

(& you don't want us "doubters" to start listing the many highly acclaimed technological advances that were dead ends & landed on the scrap heap of history)

Last edited:

Quickstep192

Anarchist
Chesapeake
I test drove the Volvo C40 Recharge. It does 0-60 in 4.2 seconds and this is an SUV!

Are people ready for this type of acceleration? Not to mention one-pedal driving which decelerates the second you take your foot off the accelerator!

Foreverslow

Super Anarchist
a couple of big hits to the script...
the first story really stirred the pot when Hoovie just wanted to report his experience. The 2nd was what most of us expected. But watch to the end on the review of the new ev hummer

Foreverslow

Super Anarchist
Hope you have been watching the shit storm all this cold weather has been causing.
Looks like the manufacturers of cars, chargers, distribution networks etc have missed the user cases on how to deal with winter weather.

1. This geek in colorado put out videos that anyone living where it gets cold may want to watch as the mfgs are not talking about this.

along the same lines is this datapoint.

2. another video on deep cold charging issues, not to mentioned the plugs are sometimes useless when the weather gets cold enough.

3. the fact the chargers are not smart enough to know they are not working and take themselves off line means people may be headed for the charger with little power not knowing they are really driving to a dead end. a matter of time before someone dies in the cold after arrriving at a bad charger with no other alternatives.

This tech is not ready for prime time.

Bull City

A fine fellow
North Carolina
Just drove my neighbor's Chevy Bolt. It was weird (quiet, no vibration) but very nice (comfortable, nicely finished, good back seat, lots of storage) with many mysterious wires and boxes under the hood/bonnet. I was pretty impressed.

I appreciate what @Foreverslow has pointed out regarding EVs and the winter storm, however, it doesn't change my mind about the benefits of EVs now. The winter shit storm was once-in-a-generation event (yes, we have heard that before), however, I live in the Sunny South where all-time low was about 6º F at night.

For us, an EV would be a second car, alongside an ICE, which we would use for longer trips and joy rides when it's -20º F.

Looks like there is a January-March 2023 window when the Bolt would qualify for the $7500 tax credit. A new EV for +/- $25,000 sounds pretty damn good to this old fart.

Jkdubz808

Megatron
Stuart, FL
There is new breakthroughs in battery insulation coming down the pipeline for future EVs stemming from lessons learned in the cold weather countries like North America and northern Europe.

As for the taxes we did not get the credits either for our Kia since it was made in Korea. But Kia/Hyundai is in the process of building dedicated plants in the US so their customers can get the tax credits (plus I'm sure some added bonuses for them from the us for doing it), and I think Stellantis is doing the same to produce their battery packs for the Rams and Chryslers they will be rolling out.

The tech is there, it needs some ironing out of rough spots but that goes hand in hand with all new technology. The benefits of EVs far outweigh the negatives in my mind. Everyone has different opinions on the matter.

Quickstep192

Anarchist
Chesapeake
Just drove my neighbor's Chevy Bolt. It was weird (quiet, no vibration) but very nice (comfortable, nicely finished, good back seat, lots of storage) with many mysterious wires and boxes under the hood/bonnet. I was pretty impressed.

How were the seats in the Bolt? The first EV I looked at was a Volvo because I’m in it for comfort and it was really comfortable. I’m wondering how other cars measure up.

Mike in Seattle

Super Anarchist
Latte land
When this last little freezing rain was coming, I parked my car under a sheltering tree and put a cover on.

My old yota 4x4 had been sitting so long, the battery was down.
, so i had to charge it,

, so I will remember to use it a little more often