Everglades Challenge 2020

MisterMoon

Super Anarchist
Still over 100 days to go until the start. Not much to talk about. I need to lose at least 20 lbs by then, but I'll probably have to amputate something vital like my head to accomplish that goal. 

This boat looks interesting. I'd want more buoyancy than Hobie TI amas provide, but it's got potential to be a solo flyer. It certainly looks the part otherwise. 

https://photos.app.goo.gl/u5siG2z9Ls35TS5K8

Last edited by a moderator:
I had been planning on being back in the home swamp by now.

I am working out, just in case I am home before New Year's.     My original plans for a boat in my own mind's image would not be practical to be ready for the start at that point.

We will have to see.

- Stumbling

shavdog

Minnesota
When is the start?.....I've been on the lookout with my binocs from Bonita Beach for the past 3yrs.....best of luck to the participants and be safe

~HHN92~

Super Anarchist
Spawn was out in our Egmont Key race weekend before last, up hanging the the Melges 32's going down the bay in upper teens windspeed.

Getting excited!

First pic is coming up Tampa Bay double reefed in a stiff breeze, she was really balanced and pretty quick.

Second is 45 pounds of teak seats removed, going to build a lightweight marine ply deck across the cockpit and Seadeck it.

Hope to make a trip down to Florida Bay with the skiff and scout, (with fishing rods)

Andyman

SD egmont.jpg

SD_seats.jpg

SD interior.jpg

Steam Flyer

Super Anarchist
Eastern NC
The reefed rig looks great. How are you set up for rowing?

I see those Elvstrom bailers as a potential problem, always hated them. They tend to leak, they get stuck, they suck lines down thru them, they don't remove water unless the boat is moving 10% faster than you are (unless it's really honking, and then water is coming in faster).

FB- Doug

Carbon sweeps for rowing, she rows like shit. Last year it was nearly impossible to make progress against the incoming at Boca Grand.

We are going to stick with the "we are sailors not rowers " mantra. Luckily Highlanders are pretty good in light air.

Last year we never opened the bailers, didn't leak a drop. 

Hope to improve on our 2 day 23 hour finish time from last year...

Andyman 20190303_182214.jpg

Carbon sweeps for rowing, she rows like shit. Last year it was nearly impossible to make progress against the incoming at Boca Grand.

We are going to stick with the "we are sailors not rowers " mantra. Luckily Highlanders are pretty good in light air.

Last year we never opened the bailers, didn't leak a drop. 

Hope to improve on our 2 day 23 hour finish time from last year...

Andyman View attachment 334708
I remember you and several others parked for a while off of Boca Grande.  Was a bucket of tension tracking to see who would break free first. 

- Stumbling 

I remember you and several others parked for a while off of Boca Grande.  Was a bucket of tension tracking to see who would break free first. 

- Stumbling 
Anchored and baking off Boca Grand,  took along time for us to get going in what eventually was a 8-10 mph Southwesterly. Was afternoon,  the EC 22 and Thistle had a few miles on us, we passed them both going around the dome houses at Cape Romano and checked in 1 hour or so ahead of them. We should have signed in and dashed but goofed off drinking coffee with the bait shop guys.

Pertinacious Tom

Super Anarchist
Punta Gorda FL
I will continue to be a Speck Tater this year but now will get a different perspective from my new-to-me DJI Phantom drone.

My wife made this for me:

TaterForceDecal.jpg

She was appalled that I scribbled my FAA number with a Sharpie instead of getting her to make another sticker.

In EC related news, the head of our community sailing center was out here the other day and we discussed entering the Goat Island Skiff in the EC and bringing one of the kids. I'm sure it would be fun for the kid and it would probably bring some attention to the sailing center but I think the whole EC is a bit much so was thinking an Ultra Marathon would be better.

0 degrees F on the way in to work this morning. Feeling ready to become a hippie and live on some beaches waiting for March. 

Andyman, I assume you've kept my cat dug out of the snow?

TBW

I notice an E-Scow this year and a Nacra C-20 on the roster.  Should be interesting to see.

I am going Class 1 this year for a whole different experience.

I thought I'd have the raciest solo entry with a Dart 18 catamaran, but I see an F17 and Hobie 18 solo entries. Interesting indeed