Everglades Challenge 2022

TBW

Even that is viewpoint-dependent. It's unlikely I'll ever switch from Speck Tater to participant, but if I did, I would make sure to reach each checkpoint and the finish within an hour of deadline. Hey, I paid good money for this experience, so "best" would be longest-lasting, right?
I wish.  

But if there is a North wind blowing, I go, go, go.  Because I know sooner or later, I am going to be going uphill to the finish.

MisterMoon

Super Anarchist
My goals for the ECs I've done: 

1) Finish

And that's enough. But I do prefer finishing within 4-5 days so I can spend a couple of days hanging out in KL with my wife since I don't have unlimited time off. 

Not racing this year, will be running a checkpoint again like last year. But I've already lined up my team for 2023. 

Last edited by a moderator:

MisterMoon

Super Anarchist
I wish.  

But if there is a North wind blowing, I go, go, go.  Because I know sooner or later, I am going to be going uphill to the finish.
That's my philosophy also. There will always be uphill somewhere. 

If you are who I think you are and were in the catamaran with the red top main, I think you passed us in the last bay before the finish in 2020. 

Speed isn't everything.

I don't believe Randy has ever had a good omelette aboard Sizzor

- DSK
Randy and I were talking about doing Baja Ha Ha, Randy on his F25C Yo!, and me on my Olson 40 Euphoria. For certain, the major meals would be created by my wife, the chef, aboard the Olson!

IMG_6564.jpeg

IMG_6764.jpeg

Steam Flyer

Sophisticated Yet Humble
Eastern NC
You could probably figure a way to get that Olson 40 up and down the beach. Wouldn't be a great boat to cross the flats in, though.

- DSK

MisterMoon

Super Anarchist
You could probably figure a way to get that Olson 40 up and down the beach. Wouldn't be a great boat to cross the flats in, though.

- DSK
A spring tide might get an O40 into the first checkpoint, but you'd need to time your arrival with a tsunami to get into Chokoskee or Flamingo! 

TBW

That's my philosophy also. There will always be uphill somewhere. 

If you are who I think you are and were in the catamaran with the red top main, I think you passed us in the last bay before the finish in 2020. 
I don't think it was me.  I dropped out after about 150 miles in 2020.  I was going for that Alligator tooth in a kayak, but I ran out of beans with the head wind.  Re thinking my strategy, will try again.

Hork

I love distance sailing my beach cat. I've got family on the water just south of checkpoint 1 in Charlotte Harbor. Would it be totally frown upon if I hoped in the start skipped the 1st checkpoint and just continued on to Charlotte Harbor? 

I have great interest in this event, one of the reasons I had a reef point installed on my new main sail, but outright participation would be on the bottom half of my sailing to do list.

CrazyR

I don't think there really is an ultimate EC boat.  …

Gator tooth is on my to do list, but so far I no luck.
Just do the Ulimate Florida Challenge to get the Gator tooth. It’s how I got two.

I agree with MisterMoon with finishing in 4-5 days. There is sizable welcoming committee already, so no need to source a cold beer, and there are two-three days left to unwind, catch up with friends and just enjoy Keys. 

I also believe that I have the perfect boat, since I don’t need think hard about logistics. Over years I flew to the start or from the finish, once I fit it inside of a rental subcompact, I can sleep on it, I still can finish in 4 days…

credits for the pic go to https://forums.sailinganarchy.com/index.php?/profile/34046-pertinacious-tom/

4D0C53C0-BB3A-44CD-A5FD-A1E53DFE97D7.jpeg

Pertinacious Tom

Importunate Member
Punta Gorda FL
Not racing this year, will be running a checkpoint again like last year. But I've already lined up my team for 2023. 
Which checkpoint?

I continue to hope to fly my drone around Stump Pass. Weathered out the last two years and this year isn't looking good. My brother has cancer and it's bad and I'm his primary caregiver.

MisterMoon

Super Anarchist
Which checkpoint?

I continue to hope to fly my drone around Stump Pass. Weathered out the last two years and this year isn't looking good. My brother has cancer and it's bad and I'm his primary caregiver.
First checkpoint at Cape Haze Marina, only a couple of miles down from Stump. We'll be there from about 1030 on Saturday until late Sunday afternoon. 

Hey, that's 'my' lake!

Having spent a lifetime on Tampa Bay, Florida, moved up here to north Alabama 5 years ago. Fine sailing lake with some dinghy competition, but mostly small keelboats. 

Sadly, I don't have a boat suitable for the EC any longer. Sigh

Dave Ellis

This year I'm on the Race Committee at Charleston Race Week. 

Should have entered the EC when I had a Raider Turbo. Slept in it on the night before the 2018 Mug Race start. Comfortable. (And won on handicap the next day.)

Dave Ellis