Everglades Challenge 2022

TBW

I did some quick math about entries.  I may be off by a boat or two here or there, but this is the rough break down this year.

I count roughly 91 boats entered.

Class One (Expedition kayaks and Canoes): I count 24 entries including two Stand Up Padlle Boards.

Class Two (Racing Canoes and Kayaks):  Only one entry, a racing kayak.

Class 3 (Sailing Canoes):  4 sailing canoes, 3 solo and a tandem.

Class 4 (mono hull Sailboats):  21 mono hulls.

Class 5 (multi hulls): 41 including 17 TIs/AI's.

It seems to me class five just keeps getting bigger and faster.  Decent number of kayaks this year too. 

I see at least two inflatable boats.  A catamaran and an inflatable SUP. 

bluelaser2

CLE
17 Hobie Islands ain't bad for toy boats.  Hope we get some solid drone video of the start.  It's always a pleasure to watch.   

I did some quick math about entries.  I may be off by a boat or two here or there, but this is the rough break down this year.

I count roughly 91 boats entered.

Class One (Expedition kayaks and Canoes): I count 24 entries including two Stand Up Padlle Boards.

Class Two (Racing Canoes and Kayaks):  Only one entry, a racing kayak.

Class 3 (Sailing Canoes):  4 sailing canoes, 3 solo and a tandem.

Class 4 (mono hull Sailboats):  21 mono hulls.

Class 5 (multi hulls): 41 including 17 TIs/AI's.

It seems to me class five just keeps getting bigger and faster.  Decent number of kayaks this year too. 

I see at least two inflatable boats.  A catamaran and an inflatable SUP. 
It's a bummer Chaos and SewSew are not in with the NACRA Carbon 20, those two aren't human, so fun to watch. 

So on paper it appears that Gamera and Chainsaw on the turbo Tornado are the scratch cat.

Less than 2 weeks out and it is already tempting to start looking at long range forcasts....

12.5 k from the West and 75 degree days for the week please!

AndyMan

112702405_Moondance(2).jpg

Kenny Dumas

Super Anarchist
PDX
If I do it again, I’d run a side bet based on elapsed time underway instead of non stop. The camping is half the fun so why make it painful? You can still race hard while underway so it would be more like a race week than an offshore race. You can easily score it based on the spot tracking 

If I do it again, I’d run a side bet based on elapsed time underway instead of non stop. The camping is half the fun so why make it painful? You can still race hard while underway so it would be more like a race week than an offshore race. You can easily score it based on the spot tracking 
Meh. That would disproportionately favour more expensive boats. Racing, managing winds, tides, and the need to rest makes for a more strategic event and an opportunity for the tortoise to compete with the hare.

TBW

Think that format would eliminate the night navigation. Successful night navigation can get you a long way, and I kind of like it.  

Single handing a boat, while navigating unfamiliar water, with alligators?  Good times.

TBW

That's why it's fun to try different classes.  Different scenery in a sailing kayak on the inside vs on a beach cat tearing down the outside. 

I like that it's impossible to completely tear down the outside in any boat. It makes it far more difficult for a sailboat but I wouldn't want to see it set up any other way

REW

Anarchist
 I have participated in this event 7 times.  Of all the racing I have done over 30 years this is hands down the most memorable.  The course that Chief has set up is a combination of sadistic, challenging, beautiful and fulfilling to a degree that nothing else I have done can match.  When one finishes you immediately think "been there done that" but as soon as you catch some sleep you begin thinking about the next time. The process of selecting and setting up a boat for this is pure fun.  My first was a modified sea kayak that I will admit was ill conceived albeit full of memories that I will never lose and will always cherish.  The Turbo Tornado that ChainSaw and I put together was a process that was similarly challenging and fun.  

It is impossible to convey everything that this event throws at you to anyone who hasn't done it.  Really great too that you "race what you brung", period, (and it's not just a race).  Some do it purely to be first and set records, but everyone is in it to participate and simply doing that and maybe even finishing are both enough and a serious accomplishment.  Suggest anyone who can visit the beach on Friday and watch the start on Saturday...you might just get hooked (that is a warning).

My days sailing in this event are behind me but this year my wife (RingMaster) and I will be volunteers helping at the start and then serving as Checkpoint 3 Captains on Tuesday through Friday, staying our renovated Airstream.  Also will be rooting for my long time sailing partner Chainsaw and our good friend Gamera sailing the Turbo Tornado.  These guys are as smart and tuff as they come and I can't wait to see what they do.

SwampMonkee

IMG_0065.JPG

Latest posts