Everglades Challenge 2022

MisterMoon

Super Anarchist
Spawn is the monohull record holder. 

It's a custom 22' skiff designed by OH Rodgers, built by the owner Jeff Linton. It has (I think) a carbon rig from Melges 20, big water ballast tanks under the hiking racks and an enormous assy. 

It holds the two fastest overall times for monohulls in EC history, the fastest was 1 day 12 hours 46 minutes. I think the only boats who've ever gone faster was Jamie Livingston in a Tornado at 26 hours 2 minutes and Randy Smyth in his Sizzor at 1 day 11 hours and change. 

Spawn is a beast. 
Correction: Spawn has been faster. The completed last year in 1 day 9 hours 7 minutes. That was the fourth fastest time ever and the fastest monohull. 

Spawn will keep going when the get to Key Largo this year and sail up the Atlantic coast to Ft. Clinch where they will switch to a paddle craft and paddle 100 miles or so up the St. Marys River, portage the boat 45 miles to the Suwannee, then downriver 230 miles to the Gulf of Mexico and Cedar Key where they will jump back in Spawn to sail down to Ft. Desoto. They will be fun to watch. 

Forecast is looking decent, maybe?

AndyMan

Windy 23.jpg

TBW

Good for a proper sailboat, might be a little hard on the wind for some kayaks, canoes and some of the more traditional rigs if it comes around to the south much more. 

TBW

* I am shore contact for a Kayak/Falcon boat this year, plus my last EC was a kayak/Falcon.  Wind any forward of the beam is less than ideal for those set ups.

Last edited by a moderator:

TBW

Should be okay outside?

Inside the wind seems to want to bounce off the shoreline and turns an East wind into a South wind.

MisterMoon

Super Anarchist
Okay? I think the Chamber of Commerce is going to be insulted. They ordered and appear to have gotten a perfect forecast for tomorrow.
It sure was gorgeous today. And tomorrow promises to be as nice. I feel for all the kayakers running down the ICW where it’s going to be a powerboat shit show. Be careful guys and gals. 

My fervent hope is to see everyone safe and sound the CP1 tomorrow evening. 

MisterMoon

Super Anarchist
Winds at the start were a little bit south of east, 14 gusting 16. Most got off with any issues. We left about 8:10 with a few stragglers. And maybe a couple who will DNS. 

MisterMoon

Super Anarchist
At CP1. As of 1040 the Tornado of Gamera and Chainsaw are just south of Venice. I expect them in around noon. The east wind is holding up pretty well so far, maybe down a bit though. 

MisterMoon

Super Anarchist
I'm too optimistic on times, looks more like around 100 pm for the first boats. It's a tight race between Gamera/Chainsaw in the Tornado and SemperReady/AlwaysParatus in their Nacra 17. 

shavdog

Minnesota
Is there a link to a site showing the progress...thanks....I am in Bonita Beach...when might I expect to see someone....close to lovers key...

Pertinacious Tom

Importunate Member
Punta Gorda FL
Flamingo is apparently a female on an SUP and seems to be almost as fast as NateDog and Andy. Which is very, very fast for any paddling boat, let alone an SUP.

shavdog

Minnesota
We have not seen many go by our spot in Bonita Beach as of 5:45pm sunday....however a cat with a white main and yellow/orange head sail just went by heading for Naples....nice day here....15 minutes later a multicolored main is going by...seems like they are out further this yr....I think the rowers are having a tough day as the winds are probably on the nose....

Last edited by a moderator: