Everglades Challenge 2022

shoeby11

did Spawn start? not seeing them on the tracker
Spawn is doing the “Ultimate Florida,” the first portion of which is the Everglades Challenge.  So pick UF2022 in the event category on the tracker and you should see them. 

Last edited by a moderator:

shavdog

Minnesota
10:25 am Monday....a blue/silver kayak with the name Gemini on the side(brand name?) just went by our condo in Bonita Beach....near lovers key...

MisterMoon

Super Anarchist
10:25 am Monday....a blue/silver kayak with the name Gemini on the side(brand name?) just went by our condo in Bonita Beach....near lovers key...
That was Godzilla.  Jamie is a very cool and highly enthusiastic guy.  

image.png

MisterMoon

Super Anarchist
You should have seen another 4 kayaks by now. And be looking for a pair of Hobie Islands with my friend Albatross in one and my two time teammate Lawless in the other. 

shavdog

Minnesota
3:15pm monday.....three sailboats just went by Bonita Beach including a double masted one....overall it looks like a slow tough day for everyone...and bumpy...we had a pretty good down pour an hour ago.....the double masted one just got turned around.....not much wind...a small kayak green in color with a small head sail with two passengers....right now 4 total going by....probably out 3-5 blocks from shore....most of the kayaks are hanging close to shore......update...the doublemasted boat sailed out to find some wind and righted the ship....head'n for Naples...best to all

MisterMoon

Super Anarchist
The green and white kayak is a nice married couple from Ottawa, Ontario. They were camped next to us a couple days before the start where we got to know them a little bit. Glad to hear they are going well. They should be in Chokoloskee tomorrow, which is right on schedule for a good finish. 

shavdog

Minnesota
4:38pm Tuesday...Bonita Beach....I don't know if this boat is in the race....looks like a red cat...hobie? with a orange/yellow sail and a blue storage pack on back going south....he had a small red flag off the back.....maybe #3702?

TBW

4:38pm Tuesday...Bonita Beach....I don't know if this boat is in the race....looks like a red cat...hobie? with a orange/yellow sail and a blue storage pack on back going south....he had a small red flag off the back.....maybe #3702?
3820 likely.  Sailing a red inflatable catamaran.

Pertinacious Tom

Importunate Member
Punta Gorda FL
Okay? I think the Chamber of Commerce is going to be insulted. They ordered and appear to have gotten a perfect forecast for tomorrow.
It sure was gorgeous today.
Well, they got one nice day, though not as nice as forecast, especially for the paddlers.

And that shift to the S did happen but I did not expect the number of dropouts that we've seen. Or "smart ones" as alanosaurus is calling them. It's not even cold this year! No violent passage of a cold front shower line. Just some headwinds. But the list of "smart ones" includes many who have completed the course in years that seemed to have worse weather.

TBW

No violent passage of a cold front shower line. Just some headwinds. But the list of "smart ones" includes many who have completed the course in years that seemed to have worse weather.
Whaaa?   From a small boat racing perspective head winds = bad weather.  Cold might be uncomfortable, but we are talking south Florida here, it never really gets that cold.  To be cold enough to significantly impede a boats forward progress the Gulf of Mexico would need to freeze over, every thing else you can dress for.  Dry suits are supposed to be required gear for this challenge and tents and sleeping bags. 

Pertinacious Tom

Importunate Member
Punta Gorda FL
Whaaa?   From a small boat racing perspective head winds = bad weather.  Cold might be uncomfortable, but we are talking south Florida here, it never really gets that cold.  To be cold enough to significantly impede a boats forward progress the Gulf of Mexico would need to freeze over, every thing else you can dress for.  Dry suits are supposed to be required gear for this challenge and tents and sleeping bags. 
From a Florida Man perspective, below 80 degrees = bad weather. And I mean the air and the water. The humidity should also be 80, just to keep things easy. The drysuit requirement is one of the things that has impeded me from participating in this event. I'm pretty sure I could finish in my AI, even on a year like this one, but I don't want to wear a drysuit for days. Or, really, play with my AI for more than a few hours at a time. Or in the cold.

The headwinds were forecast but I expected them to be weaker and expected a lot fewer DNF's.

Cal20sailor

Super Anarchist
Detroit
Congratulations to Matt (Camera) and Mike (Chainsaw) on their first to finish and Papa Monkee for his vision and work on the boat.  I've sailed with and against each of them and they are formidable.  Hopefully, they'll be back in 2023.  Congratulations to all other participants!  Sometimes the hardest part of a race is putting your name on an entry form.  Be Safe!!!!!

Latest posts