Everybody has a name for their self steering mechanism. What is your's called?

There used to be a guy at our club named Vic - the sort of humorously crusty old guy you get around boat clubs who's retired and loves messing around in boats.  He was always knocking together odd looking contraptions on his boats to see if they'd work.  Vic passed away a few years back, but when I was bodging together a home-built windvane out of scraps lying around my basement, the finished* product reminded me of Vic.

So "Vic" it is.

* I'm not sure "finished" is the correct word - I'm likely to be farting with tweaking the contraption for years to come.

h20man

Anarchy Organiser
ocean
When it works I call him Otto (nothing original there).. When he fails to work then it is transitioning states..... so then it is Ann....

Full Name: Ann Archy

Canada
Help me with the joke. Even with the alternate meaning, I'm not following.
You called the part that is shaped like a Mr. Happy, ‘Mr. Happy.”

The other bits that usually accompany Mr. Happy are referred to as ‘tea bags.’

Did I really have to explain this?

It’s a “way homer.” You’ll get it on the way home…

tane

Anarchist
we never had names for ours, they were always "Aries", "Atoms" or "Windpilot", but I thought an original name for a german unit, that the owner didn't get to work well:
"The sulking Hun"

tane

Anarchist
...and the new-french- owner of our last boat named the Windpilot "Wolfgang" (my first name), after I described function & setup (apparently quite well) for him

Coastal_Fox

New England
I'm going to sound stupid at some point, so I might as well start now.
A wind vane and an autopilot, they are essentially means to the same end correct? They both are meant to keep the boat on course with hands off the tiller/wheel right? With the autopilot obviously having digital features and programmability.
Or do they have their own niche applications? I see people with both, and I wonder if it's for redundancy, or situational applications. Obviously the wind vane only works when there is wind, so I might see having both if you want to be able to stay hands free if you need to motor when there is no wind, but save your battery when there is.

The sooner I know which direction to go in, the sooner I can name it haha.

Last edited:

Kolibri

Haleiwa, HI
Dobby did > 95% of the work at the helm during our recent crossing from San Francisco to Oahu. We only hand steered when the wind was super light or nonexistent. Here's a short video from somewhere in the middle of the Pacific.

Our boat is French, therefore we named our autopilot (B&G H-5000 system) "Pierre."

IMG_3570.JPG