Everybody has a name for their self steering mechanism. What is your's called?

campair002

My daughter and most enthusiastic sailing buddy was diagnosed as dyslexic at ~6 years old. She struggled so much learning how to ready that she wouldn't even attempt to read street signs when I asked her to do so. After working with a tutor for a few weeks I started reading Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets to her. We would do one chapter each night before bedtime. After a few chapters I realized that she already knew what was happening in the next chapter. ~18 years later during the prep work for our double handed trip from San Francisco to Hawaii she decided that our Monitor Windvane should be named Dobby after a house elf in the Harry Potter books. It stuck and I had a few custom bumper stickers made. We take off in early June of 2022.

Last edited:

boomer

Super Anarchist
PNW
Otto is a natural nickname for the device/s. Anything I used for such, since the late 60s is called Otto. Though my wife would say, "can't we use Henrick or Henry", I'd reply, "Hank would be a natural progression of that name.

Last edited:

Mrleft8

Super Anarchist
Suwanee River
On my truck, it's called "Wheeler".

On my boat it's called "Steering stick", but neither one is automatic, they're both what I call "Acoustic"....

foamy1946

The OC.
...mine is Otto, but in the PacCup 2016, he went out first night out of SF. so we handed steered two on two off for two weeks. Me age 70, my double hand crew age 60...you get used to it.

Latest posts