Expedition 14.5 Hatch

valcour

Anybody know who makes this rectangular hatch on the aft deck of the Escape Expedition 14.5?  I’m looking for a replacement for a missing hatch lid.

Thanks

C52A6426-2252-4F83-81B8-637AE79D62C7.jpeg

Dex Sawash

Demi Anarchrist
NC USA
Related subject,

If anyone knows who is responsible for centering the hatch under a fixed tiller, kick them in the shins. Fucker's unusable when sailing.

Mudsailor

Anarchist
So Cal
Pompanette Gray series…….or tempress……or bomar (now part of pompaette)

there are a couple of other very similar brands, names escape

bluelaser2

CLE
Love my 14.5 

I searched and could not find, so I'll be watching this thread.  Yes, stupid to make it impossible to use while sailing.  Matching the cutout will be more important than the actual trim etc. 

What's with those dopey cleats and heavy thwart bench?   Lose that shit!   Also find a windsurf topmast, cut your boom near the bend, and replace the cut part with the carbon tube.  SOOOO much faster & better.  

Amazing boats still nothing like them anywhere. 

Dex Sawash

Demi Anarchrist
NC USA
I pulled my thwart and moved my hiking strap and mainsheet block forward to rear of dagger trunk, much better upwind with weight forward. Added a mainsheet  bridle aft for end boom sheeting and dropped it to 2:1 . The end boom leverage vs mid boom makes up for the loss of the 3:1 

I do miss the thwart in light air

20210731-104315.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Steam Flyer

Sophisticated Yet Humble
Eastern NC
I pulled my thwart and moved my hiking strap and mainsheet block forward to rear of dagger trunk, much better upwind with weight forward. Added a mainsheet  bridle aft for end boom sheeting and dropped it to 2:1 . The end boom leverage vs mid boom makes up for the loss of the 3:1 

I do miss the thwart in light air

Is that the Alligator River? Looks just like a place we went exploring a couple of years ago.

Hatch suggestion: since you can't use it underway, just take it out and replace with a lighter watertight fiberglass panel. If you wanted to get fancy you could make it sit on a lip with latches, but I'd just put in 6 or maybe 8 screws and leave it.

I really like this rig and wish I could find one.

- DSK

Dex Sawash

Demi Anarchrist
NC USA
Is that the Alligator River? Looks just like a place we went exploring a couple of years ago.

Hatch suggestion: since you can't use it underway, just take it out and replace with a lighter watertight fiberglass panel. If you wanted to get fancy you could make it sit on a lip with latches, but I'd just put in 6 or maybe 8 screws and leave it.

I really like this rig and wish I could find one.

- DSK
Ware River YC

valcour

Thanks guys. 

The boat in the photo is not mine.  Just used that as a hatch reference.  Mine (which I just picked up today) has no cleats.  I rescued it from neglectful home.  Needs a bit of glass work on the bottom and at bow eye. 

@bluelaser2- did you also put a square top on yours?   I’d be interested in the sail dimensions on that. 

@Dex Sawash - thanks for the hatch info.  I will see if I can find a Viking.  Will also mod the thwart to be removable.  Can you share details/dimensions of your modified Mainsheet layout?

Thanks,

Val

Dex Sawash

Demi Anarchrist
NC USA
MK I version was just quickie to add the bridle with forward block in original location to see if there were any snags. Don't recall how I picked the location for aft block, probably not too close to outhaul and "looks about right" 

Later I moved the front strap mount and front block forward to just behind DB slot. Will take a pic of that later. May already be one on SA, someone started an Exp 14.5 rigging thread earlier this year but not much came of it.

20210613-090340.jpg

bluelaser2

CLE
I've had a number of sails over the years.  Currently I have something pretty neat:  Ullman in CLE built me a mainsail out of .6 poly big boat spinnaker cloth. 

Because the sail stays on the mast year round and is never handled, it tends to stay in great shape.   The spin cloth sail is ultra light weight & smooth, no worries about stretch because by the time it was overpowered, I would reef down anyway, since its a body-swung, non-trap boat & the loads are light, and between the carbon mast & weightless sail, the righting moment is increased handily.   I did have a much bigger, heavier square-top but it turns out smaller sail area in bigger winds is faster so I'm back to a pinhead. 

Check this video of effortless planing on Erie Bay.  Did I mention that I love this boat? 

https://photos.app.goo.gl/PV8nrmtMa4fdr3AQ8

@bluelaser2- did you also put a square top on yours?   I’d be interested in the sail dimensions on that. 

valcour

Nice video, Blue  

How did you attach those line loops where the thwart used to be?  A couple eyestraps on each side with stopper knots?

valcour2

Ok, I am most of the way thru a resurrection of a 14.5. The boat I picked up was missing the hatch (as mentioned) and needed some glass and gelcoat work.

I also happened across a second boat with a completely trashed hull (and poorly executed attempted repair). The hull went to the dump, but I stripped all the hardware and now have spare mast, boom, sail, blades, etc.

Question for @Dex Sawash and @bluelaser2 :

How does the furling mast rigging work? Neither boat had any lines with it, and it’s not clear how the tack/Cunningham attaches. I suspect there a piece broken off the furler drum. See photo.

Can you guys share an overall rigging diagram?

83B6B78B-EDCF-4BD0-8B15-3EBFCA8A6F74.jpeg

Fasterdamnit!

Anarchist
Charlotte NC
Good stuff! I pulled the thwart in my expo 12.5 for the same reason. I am using the Aerosouth rudder and proto daggerboard which are good upgrades, especially the rudder. Stock had too much sweep.

Dex Sawash

Demi Anarchrist
NC USA
Haven't been visiting SA since forum update due to 200% more clicks required to read every topic in DA since they removed the "next unread" button at bottom of each thread.

I rigged a carbon hockey stick as lifting tiller so I can get to the shit in the hatch while sailing. Pics when I am home.