Expedition C-map Max to C-Map 4D?

Itsabimmerthing

Anarchist
Europe
Seems like I need to update charts and expedition itself to 4D. Could someone who has done it help me out with a "how to" instructions. Would be appreciated!

I guess I need to install some new drivers etc? Haven't bought any charts yet..

Expedition

You can have both installed. You just need to install the C-Map Maps manager as well, download on the Exp web site.

Also read the Exp help on 4D charting.

The MAX charts are end of life for C-Map. The 4D charts have several advantages - no more dongles, installing from CDs.

Itsabimmerthing

Anarchist
Europe
Is there a way to copy settings, number boxes etc. when upgrading to Expedition 4D?
Answering to myself: All settings, polars, number boxes, custom channels, etc. gets copied over when upgrading. Again, smooth install of new SW and 4D Maps. Brief moment with the new Expedition and very happy with the continuous improvements we are getting.

Not to mention the response time of few minutes from Nick.

woodpecker

Just did it a few weeks ago, I called C-map and they gave me a discount because I had their old charts. 
Very easy and no issues.  Nick is the Man!

Last edited by a moderator:

Itsabimmerthing

Anarchist
Europe
I missed the discount part, I just bought the charts online :)

Doubt I will use it a lot but the option to briefly swop to Raster is pretty good option.

Definite improvement on the night/day palettes.

jackolantern

Super Anarchist
I've heard of some issues with the 4D charts at varying levels of zoom, in terms of color rendering. US7070 will probably drop in here and expand on it. 

chriggel

Are you guys able to zoom out completely with C-Map 4D? On my computer I am not able to see the whole North-Atlantic for example. Quite annoying if you want to have a broad overview.

NoRay

I can zoom to an area from about Spain to Florida. For an even broader view, switch to the worldchart-h. (rightclick>open chart)

chriggel

Thanks NoRay. I can select "worldchart-i" but this does not do any change and seems to switch back to CMAP immediately.  Is this "worldchart-i" the free CMAP 4D WWD-303?