Extreme Sailing Series moving into the future

joking

Personally I think it was about time they changed those fat ass boats. Will we also see changes in the venues to make for some actually decent sailing?

What do you think boys and girls?

Boink

Super Anarchist
If they don't go with an existing package e.g. GC32 (maybe because there are contractual tie in's with their own series) - and the need to differentiate from what is a rival solution.......

Then I would like to speculate that Nick Holroyd (ex ETNZ) would be a good cutting edge designer to approach to create what is likely to be a 35-38 ft cat with foils that will be aimed more at early lift off than outright speed - remember that ESS venues are truly tight - so being able to do 40+ knots is probably as much as hindrance as a help. A boat that would lift off in +6 knots of breeze and then top out near 30 would be a better stadium solution.

Of course Holroyd's availability is yet to be determined by whether or not his contract allows him to go to another AC team....... but should he be in exile for the remainder of this cycle then an ESS tie in with say Mitch Booth would have appeal.

Anyone got an inside scoop?

MR.CLEAN

Not here
Anyone got an inside scoop?
The design competition you think would be a good idea has finished, a month ago, very quietly, with (I think) three different reasonable designs and a few yahoos proposed after a few-month RFP period. Two of those designs have been shortlisted, both in the size range you mention, one with both straight and J/boards, one with J-boards only, and both with t-foil rudders.

The other two options are a foiling X40 mod, which doesn't really suit, and the GC32. The problem with the 32 is that it is quite a small boat, and given the importance of the VIP hospitality stuff to the ESS, the 32 really doesn't have the versatility they need. Plus there is 2 years of foil problems to contend with, though we understand the problem has (finally) been solved. I spoke to GC32 founder Laurent Lenne and he feels the GC is perfect for the ESS.

If the ESS judges that the X40 needs replacement immediately (something quite likely considering the rapid movement of the M32 series and an imminent and major announcement from them), they might just go straight to the GC32 for 2016, though the long range plans are more ambituous. An Extreme 36 or 38 is quite likely for 2017.

Inside enough for you?

Last edited by a moderator:

Boink

Super Anarchist
How about the Video? - then we will see......

(Aren't you getting any attention what with baby on its way? - you had better get used to that feeling, like forever.......)

joking

Please tell me they will also rethink their course areas and stuff.... It would hurt my soul to see gc32s in that Singapore course

Boink

Super Anarchist
I realise Soma that these would be a good upgrade from your current ride - just remember that there are what 12 or so of these in service?

They have all seen a hard life - think rental car in the worst way.....

How many would not have had extensive crash repairs? There are soooo many crash videos of this fleet.

T-bones hurt both boats involved and seen to happen every other event.

Groupama had its rudders wiped out which then sailed on head long into a wall. Ouch.

I suggest buyer beware and take a good boat builder with you for pre-purchase inspection.

MR.CLEAN

Not here
soma said:
Market will be flooded with used x40's. What will their "life after" be like?
I want two hulls desperately for my foiling media boat project

I realise Soma that these would be a good upgrade from your current ride - just remember that there are what 12 or so of these in service?

They have all seen a hard life - think rental car in the worst way.....

How many would not have had extensive crash repairs? There are soooo many crash videos of this fleet.

T-bones hurt both boats involved and seen to happen every other event.

Groupama had its rudders wiped out which then sailed on head long into a wall. Ouch.

I suggest buyer beware and take a good boat builder with you for pre-purchase inspection.
There are a lot more than 12

Boink

Super Anarchist
I know more than 12 exist - but can you put together 12 "good" ones from all the parts?

teamvmg

Super Anarchist
Isn't the circuit tied in with the 'Tornado Sport' company [Herbie Derkson] which is tied in with Mastrom? So any new boat will be by Mastrom

Terrorvision

Super Anarchist
Isn't the circuit tied in with the 'Tornado Sport' company [Herbie Derkson] which is tied in with Mastrom? So any new boat will be by Mastrom
Herb's long out of the picture, almost as far back as when it became the iShares Cup/ ESS and not the VX40. Marstom has the uniclef mould for the 40s so that is where they are all built.

Johannos

Hönö
It's hypothetical - they aren't available - but Free would be too much.
I'll take one for free. Got some filler, epoxy and carbon left, and I'm pretty good at fixing that black stuff. Might even go sailing every once in a while...

Let's see what they come up with. I always liked the crashing, flipping, nosediving, wallcrashing X40's. I hope the new class will continue with some of that spectacle.