Eyes

Wet Spreaders

Super Anarchist
SF Bay
I started with the age-related eye rot about 5 years ago - distance is fine, reading is progressively more fucked. Reading glasses work fine, but it's getting to the point where my arms are too short to hold my phone out far enough to decypher email, which could get frustrating or dangerous if I lose my glasses. Mulling on surgical solutions - what's worked for people? I don't want to fuck up my distance vision because it's a real help finding the windward mark and guessing which gate is closer etc. Money is not really a consideration - utility and clarity of vision are far more important than saving cash. Ideas?

chester

Super Anarchist
I have prescription glasses now.  like you:  close up fuzzy so readers, after several years of readers i got tired of taking them on and off so prescription, funnily enough, my distance vision  wasn't as top notch as i thought it was :rolleyes: .  have not pursued surgical options 'cause not crazy about surgery when glasses work.  though i would lose them like sunglasses but in fact I have never lost a pair in 8 years or so!!

longy

Overlord of Anarchy
San Diego
I've had everything. LASIK did a great job.  Don't go cheap, they don't have the best equipment/techniques. 

Raz'r

Super Anarchist
De Nile
LASIK is great for distance. They don’t have much for reading unless you want monocular vision (one eye close, one far)

bring 2 pairs of glasses…

longy

Overlord of Anarchy
San Diego
Sudden revelations while getting the procedure done: My eyes are at the mercy of a computer program, and the weird smell is burnt eyeball.

chester

Super Anarchist
Sudden revelations while getting the procedure done: My eyes are at the mercy of a computer program, and the weird smell is burnt eyeball.
a couple of decades ago I took my Mom to an appointment with her optimologist.  I was standing in the waiting room looking at a very intriguing framed photograph.  i recoiled involantarily when I realized the pic was a macro photo of a needle pressing into the surface of an eye just at the point of puncture!  Yikes.

longy

Overlord of Anarchy
San Diego
a couple of decades ago I took my Mom to an appointment with her optimologist.  I was standing in the waiting room looking at a very intriguing framed photograph.  i recoiled involantarily when I realized the pic was a macro photo of a needle pressing into the surface of an eye just at the point of puncture!  Yikes.
I'm getting two injections every 8 wks for macular degeneration (one eye) now. I prep for these days with a Xanac. I really, really have a phobia about needles. But, on the plus side, it's kept me from a life of drugs. It's cool now to watch the fluid swirl thru the eyeball.

Grrr...

▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰ 100%
Detroit
I'm getting two injections every 8 wks for macular degeneration (one eye) now. I prep for these days with a Xanac. I really, really have a phobia about needles. But, on the plus side, it's kept me from a life of drugs. It's cool now to watch the fluid swirl thru the eyeball.
You have bigger balls than I do sir. 

Mrleft8

Super Anarchist
Suwanee River
I had cataracts in both eyes (Thanks Lyme disease!) about 14 years ago. I'm glad I didn't read the patient info pamphlet before going in for surgery, or I probably wouldn't have gone. I was at the point of literally driving by memory. If I had to go some place I'd never been before, I would scout it out before hand to figure out how to get there. It was like looking at the world through wax paper. Scary as shit. I spent about a year thinking that the sun was never coming out. It was always high thin clouds.... One evening, right around sunset, I was going to visit a friend in town.... I nearly ran over a couple with a twin stroller. True, they just walked out in front of me, not at a cross walk, but I should have seen them before they were inches from my bumper. Thank god I had good brakes.

I bought my wife a beautiful cranberry orange/red coat for Christmas. The day I got my first eye done, I was absolutely astounded that her coat was candy apple red!

A month later they did my second eye, and I could read the phone book w/o glasses.

My eyes have slowly degenerated a bit, but only to the point where I kind of sort of ought to use reading glasses for reading, and playing on the computer.

It makes an enormous difference in your life when you can see again.

tizak

If you have surgery get a detailed description of possible problems that may occur post surgery. I had the cataract fix and vision correction surgery a few years ago. Tried to avoid but doc said I'd probably need to stop driving soon without surgery. All was good for a few months but then problems hit. Right eye retinal tearing, left tearing and partial detachment. Six laser welds on my left eye and five on my right. The left eye had to be drained of its vitreous, repairs made, a silicone "buckle" (band) placed around the eye (to insure it remained a sphere) and the fluid replaced followed by a gas injection. Next was staying face down for two weeks (the time it takes for the gas to dissipate) 24 hrs. a day so the gas could pressure the retina into proper position - like watching the floor through the shrinking bubble in a level.

Not bad now - left eye is somewhat like watching the world through a wavy glass window with a small amount of double vision and bright flashes occasionally (sounds worse than it is), right eye is back to 20/20.

Doc said this sometimes happens when surgery is performed to correct my original nearsighted problem.