F18 Team Racing Event Saturday

Tony-F18

Super Anarchist
+31
Saturday = Caturday! :D

Really hope the wind will pick up bit though, looking a bit light right now.

Although that might not matter that much with this close type of racing.

hobie18rich

Super Anarchist
cool video whats with the Spin pole on the Cirrus? Doesn't look like aluminum to me from the video. 9 seconds in.

sailn20

What you see is not the spin pole, its an extenstion to the spin pole that the camera is mounted o.

MischadeMunck

What you see is not the spin pole, its an extenstion to the spin pole that the camera is mounted o.
Yes thats wright!!

See you all saterday! I'll be on the water team racing
biggrin.gif

Greetings,

Mischa de Munck

Hey Clean,

I'm talking to some guys in MA about getting an RC helicopter cam for the F18 NAs this September. Maybe we can finger something out for some live streaming if we can get it together.

SurfCityCatamarans

Super Anarchist
Santa Cruz
Hey Clean,

I'm talking to some guys in MA about getting an RC helicopter cam for the F18 NAs this September. Maybe we can finger something out for some live streaming if we can get it together.
It's very difficult here in the US.

Here's the short version: If you are shooting video or photography using RC aircraft whether it's fixed-wing or heli and it's for commercial or promotional purposes it's illegal. Period. That is unless you have what's called a COA or have undergone a very lengthy and costly certification process.

In point of fact, two well known RC-aerial operators (names withheld) have been given "cease and desist" orders from the FAA and been threatened with a $10k per-day fine for non-compliance. Both of these operators are now shut-down and their websites pulled.

At issue are three very important points:

First, the FAR's or Federal Air Regulations that specifically apply to RC aircraft - or UAV's - for the purpose of commercial aerial photography has not been widely disseminated by the FAA or any other governing authority. It remains a mostly unknown but very volatile piece of information.

Second, the FAA contends that unless the entity wanting to use RC-aerials is under the auspices of a "C.O.A." - which is only issued for government or research facilities for the purposes of search and rescue, military ops, law enforcement or scientific research then that company must: A) Certify the aircraft just as if it were full-sized; B) Obtain formal operator training and also become certified as a UAV operator; C) Carry the appropriate insurances; D) Follow and maintain certain airspace rules and restrictions mandated by the FAA.

Three: The airframe and operator certification process the FAA is requiring does not formally exist anywhere currently. No forum, school or government agency has been created - nor the curriculum - to facilitate these certifications. It's a "chicken before the egg" scenario, for lack of a better term.

So, if you are using your RC heli or airplane to take video or shoot stills for your clients or even just to promote your own company you're doing so without FAA approval and you're subject to being shut down and potentially fined. End of story.
I want to know how much media covrerage for the team racing event cost. Can't be cheap. I doubt that there are any cat fleets in the US could or would pony up the $ to purchase that coverage. We just don't have the numbers like Europe. I'd guess $30, 000.

Last edited by a moderator:

F18 Sailor

Super Anarchist
Annapolis, MD
FAA COA: The current time frame places impending rule making on the status of UAV's in the national airspace at years end with actual rules not taking place until 2013 at the earliest.

We need something now. Bottom line, flying an R/C helicopter over water, below 400 feet in class G airspace is not illegal. Flying the same helicopter with camera gear on board to film an event is not illegal IF the camera gear is only used to capture pictures/video and NOT used to direct the helicopter, aka, no FPV flying. This would mean the pilot has to stay within line of sight of the helicopter and more importantly within visible range so he/she can fly the dang thing.

Also, the FAA is far, far less likely to take action on this type of thing if it is done in a very safe manner-flying over water in unpopulated areas is a good starting point. Using reliable equipment is a second starting point. Flying 5 miles away from base using FPV equipment in downtown New York City is not a good way to get the government to approve these systems.

Does anyone know the cost of hiring a professional helicopter to do 1 hour of shooting? Do we even need aerial coverage? I think the on board tracking system, combined with live on the water coverage and possibly footage from on the boats would be enough.

Fined? Really? That seems incredibly fucking lame. Im of the opinion that asking forgiveness is better than permission sometimes. Even if we cant afford to have them shoot the whole NAs or do anything streaming, even just getting someone to do some flyovers of starts and put together a DVD for competitors would be sweet as shit. I know a few guys who do high end real estate aerial RC plane photos and they have never been hasselled by the FAA or anything. To be continued...

About real helis, there are Heli Tours out of Newport RI that will take two people out for under $200 for an hour flight. Granted, they are not travelling far from their home base. Im sure the further you go from an airport, the money goes up exponentially. I dont think we need aeriel footage, but it is cool as fuck if we could get it.

teamvmg

Super Anarchist
I just looked at the details of this racing;

It starts at 17;00

Sunset is about 18;30!

Tony-F18

Super Anarchist
+31
Just an hour to go now!

Sunset is at 20:30 (local) btw, not 18:30.

Not much wind but should be just enough.

Tony-F18

Super Anarchist
+31
A 90 degree shift came thru and the wind just went up to 12-15!

The equiptment used is really cool, especially the RC plane.

Latest posts