F28R vs F31R - Speed?

can-UK

Dubai
Ignoring the obvious differences that come with size (standing room, enclosed head.. )..

What is the real-world difference (assuming both are unmodified) in speed between an F28R and an F31R?

Next question is.. can an F28R be modified to match an F31R?

Last edited by a moderator:

GC Sailor

gc
Sailed properly the 31R is significantly faster, with min. weight, carbon mast, race interior is 40+ seconds per mile faster.

It is unlikely that a 28R can be modified to make up that difference.

R

Rob Zabukovec

Theoretical flat water Base Speeds (ie average speeds) are 11.6 knots and 12.9 knots respectively. Which means that the F31 R is ~ 32 seconds a mile faster. More, if the F31R is a stripped out racer as suggested above.

In principle, to modify an F82 R to match an F31 R is easy....... All you have to do is add on F31R amas and put on an F31 R rig. You would then have an F82 R capable of ~ 13.5 knots Base Speed due to its lighter displacement and reduced WSA overall.

There are serious engineering and cost implications of course. So you would be better off just buying an F31 R outright and have the extra internal space and safety of a larger tri as a bonus.

Last edited:
We will let you know this weekend. We are racing a 28R in Multihull A in the Annapolis to Oxford race.

There should be several F-31Rs on the line....

MgWO2L9.jpg

Wess

Super Anarchist
We will let you know this weekend. We are racing a 28R in Multihull A in the Annapolis to Oxford race.

There should be several F-31Rs on the line....

MgWO2L9.jpg
A true F31R ain't an F31 and if both the F28R and F31R are equally well sailed there is no way the F28R is even close boat for boat. So show em what ya got! Great race; have fun!

How come you are not racing your boat? Cool boat that I would think that would do very well in the local conditions and rating system.

Hey Wess. Thanks for asking. Still preparing Terrapin and hope to buy a nice big puffy sail for the end of the bowsprit before year's end. !

Main and Jib are running nicely though I need someone who knows HOW to RIG to give everything the once over...

You racing this weekend?

WsGtE1D.jpg

I've been fiddling around with the jib tack a bit. There is a 4:1 downhaul on it, and I typically don't raise the halyard to the top.

As you probably suspect, she sails better when lower, but visibility is certainly compromised....

The race was great, as always. We bumped up to Multihull A this year in the F-28R. We were going great guns - reaching toward the last mark at 14 knots, when we suddenly realized there were NO boats in front of us!

We quickly realized we missed an intermediate mark, crash gybed, dropped the assym, rounded the mark, raised the Assym and continued, losing about 7 minutes in the process. We still beat a few boats in our class, but that error cost us big time. We would have been right there competing for second place with a Reynolds 33.

As the wind piped up more, we saw several spinnakers blown to dust on various boats in the tight reaching conditions. The Navy 44s were wise enough to drop spinns, but not so the rest of us ....

And that's what it's all about, right?

irasail

I can't believe this was even a question.

A well sailed 28R should NEVER beat a well sailed 31R boat for boat, period.

Wess

Super Anarchist
Yeah, one of those was Entourages, expensive weekend, but we sure we're going fast
What's this I hear your little ole F27 finished ahead of both an F28R and an F31R? :ph34r: That true?

And there was a few times we beat you I think... so F27 Lola must be faster than an F28, and F31 and even a G4!!! -_-

Right side up before you post the pic, LOL. :blink:

Mizzmo, you should see me now with furling everything, a BBQ, pop top enclosure, deck hammock, and even fishing rods!! :huh:

eric1207

Anarchist
Seattle
There's an F28R in Puget Sound that has an extra 2 or 3 feet on its mast. Its fast but I don't think it goes faster than a well sailed F31R with which it has raced against in the past. I can't cite any results to back this up but its my general impression. I could contact the owners for further info if its a burning question.

Wess

Super Anarchist
Thanks, pax and Wess. You guys doing Rockhall? We plan to race there, and chill Sunday, coming back Monday.
Racing? Me and my BBQ and hammock and fishing pole? Hell no.

I may wait in the middle of the Bay and offer to sell you a main at 3X the fair price, LOL.

Have a good time. Are you still laying up at Ferry Point? If so let me know if you need help.

Groucho Marx

Anarchist
auckland, nz
Hey Wess. Thanks for asking. Still preparing Terrapin and hope to buy a nice big puffy sail for the end of the bowsprit before year's end. !

Main and Jib are running nicely though I need someone who knows HOW to RIG to give everything the once over...

You racing this weekend?

WsGtE1D.jpg
That is a very full and baggy main for a rotating Kiwi/Tennant? rig.