Far East 23 R Compared to J 70 which boat better for the older sale

Clavman

Australia
Hi all I am a fit 62-year-old looking to move back into a smaller sports boat Comparing these two what do you think are the advantages of each thanks

ryley

Super Anarchist
Boston, MA
Clavman, are there any other J70s in your area to race against?

Jud Smith sails (and wins in) one so age isn't an issue in them ;)  

I think the FarEast is going to be a lot more powered up in most conditions than the J70. More fun, but more work.

Varan

Super Anarchist
View attachment 256985

Way more wetted surface on the 23, but easy comfortable boat to sail.

Where do you sail? SF bay, go FE. Light air venue with WL courses, go 70 if you can afford one.

Just sailing? Can't go wrong either way.

overdraft

Anarchist
Just sayin...

IMG_0077.JPG

sailing 1.jpg

I am not a gifted sailor. Just an enthusiastic amateur,. I owned a J70 for about 6 years. Great boat to sail on and learn better sailing skills. It quickly tells you what you are doing right or indeed wrong without throwing you out of the cockpit.  We had a lot of fun and learnt a lot. 

This year as my new boat has not always been usable, I have had the opportunity to sail on a new FE 23. I am impressed. Build quality is not as "heavy" as the J70 but it seems well put together and a lot of boat for the money. It is definitely more stable with a wide aft to the hull and the cockpit has a lot more space.  I like the fact that lifelines run the full length unlike the J70.  I don't like the running backstays needed for the square top sail (But I suppose I would get used to them) , and it doesn't have the same rudder feel that  the j70 has. . But with the large sail area it goes very well in light air. I have not sailed it above about 10 knots though. Bang for buck the FE 23 will beat the J70 hands down. Resale value though will presumably suffer in comparison.  Overall though as its more stable than the J70 I didn't find it quite such a satisfying sail. But maybe thats me being subjective.

Last edited by a moderator:

overdraft

Anarchist
I've never used my runners. Never installed them when I got the boat. I suspect that they'd be helpful for getting more headstay tension, but the rig certainly seems to stay in the boat without them.

PS to the OP. I'm even older than you, and probably less fit...

Clavman

Australia
Thanks overdraft what is the Fareast like to sail in 20 knots which is not unusual on Sydney Harbour? Also how many crew do you normally sail with Thanks for every bodies comments

Steveromagnino

Super Anarchist
who do you intend to sail with would be a bit of a question?  I'm not sure the J70 would be quick enough to race with the sportsboat fleets in Australia, but hard to say, not sure there are any J70s there.  FE23 certainly looks the part, are there actually any in Aussie now?

The heavier Thompson 7 or maybe one of the elliotts are a bit older, but might tick some boxes for you, the sportsboats mostly hang out in this group
https://asba.org.au/for-sale/

The smaller boats like the Shaw 650 Leech 650 Viper are all legs in hiking and a bit more tender so might not fit with your requirements although also lower sheet loads and a bit quicker.  

Clavman

Australia
Funny you should say this our first sports boat was a Thompson seven that was a great boat we then moved to a small offshore boat kids came along and we gave it away it’s now time to get back into it there are a number of J 70s in Sydney it’s a case of working out what is best for the crew here now between mid 50s and late 60s appreciate all suggestions

PurpleOnion

Anarchist
New York, NY
Funny you should say this our first sports boat was a Thompson seven that was a great boat we then moved to a small offshore boat kids came along and we gave it away it’s now time to get back into it there are a number of J 70s in Sydney it’s a case of working out what is best for the crew here now between mid 50s and late 60s appreciate all suggestions
If you're up for it, the VX One will give you a lot more speed and smiles for you Australian dollar. I believe there's video out there of one doing 24 knots in Sydney harbour. 

Edit: 23 knots.

Last edited by a moderator:

overdraft

Anarchist
Thanks overdraft what is the Fareast like to sail in 20 knots which is not unusual on Sydney Harbour? Also how many crew do you normally sail with Thanks for every bodies comments
sailing with 4. there’s probably room for 5, but not much for them to do. I imagine more weight from 5 on the rail would get you around the course faster but I’ve never been one to fill the boat with crew who are just ballast. It’s a good ride in 20. 

JonRowe

Super Anarchist
Offshore.
The FarEast is a versatile option, race Super30s and twilights etc with ease, also trailerable so you have the option of ASBA regattas (assuming they've not changed the rules recently), Hammo / Airle etc. But J/70s will allow one design racing in larger fleets with the potential to go off and do overseas big events at a later date.